Your reaction to this comment about 6006?

The point is that you may not know why someone is asking "is it soy/is it parraffin?

All you can really know is your own facts about the candles and how and what they were made from. And your own direct knowledge and experience are the most valuable to share with a prospective customer, far superior than parrotting the tag lines of any marketing board.

We have all been pitched to and fed half truths by overzealous marketers and we know it when we see it. When we see it in a supposedly self enployed chandler, we are really just seeing another clone of big business.

I'm sorry if that sounds unkind. It's just that I treasure the fact that opportunities abound for even the "little guy" to do what they love and market their products. And these are the people I like to buy from.

Actually explaining the truth and showing your own passion for your product us such a great way to build customer confidence, even repeat business that I fail to understand why someone would do anything but.

Sorry, I meant to edit my last post but couldnt find an 'edit" button

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about waxes that chandlers buy themselves like "joy wax" or "perfect blend" or CBA or any number of waxes with "other botanicals" in them? None of them tell you the percentages, maker, or even what the "other botanicals" are. I don't think they are being deceitful. If one thinks that they are then they can purchase elsewhere. Its a long slope. If one industry is going to be regulated to give out every ingredient instead of just MSDS sheets - then regulate them all - including the likes of Coke and Pepsi - and people DO consume that. Its just never going to happen. Heck, there are even people on this board who do their own blends and they would NEVER post what they are. I don't see anyone complaining about that and they are selling to customers also. I know nothing about the original poster of the quote, just giving MO of the original question of this thread.

I wonder....I see that the majority of the posts here are saying to just tell what the blend is...70% whatever, 30% whatever and that it is good customer service to let your customers know what your blend is and what your ingredients are.

So tell me, how is this different when many come on the board griping that someone has asked what their recipe is? I mean, many many complaints that... "OMG this woman had the audacity to ask me what my blend is, what my ingredients are..I don't want to give that out as I spent thousands perfecting it and don't need someone copying"...but omg, now someone has said that if she is asked she gives out a.."yes it's a soy blend and yes it's a paraffin blend".. she is getting flack for not giving her customers her ingredients.

Can't have it both ways guys. If you aren't going to give someone your proprietory blend information for fear of copying then you aren't going to turn around and give it to a customer that asks because that same fear should still be in your mind. I see nothing wrong with someone having a blend and saying, yep it's a soy blend, or yep it's a paraffin blend. She doesn't want to give out her blend details as many many of you don't want to do that either and literally catch the board on fire if someone dares asks.

The bottom line is her blend has both and she is not telling anything untrue about it and if she prefers not to give out her blend details and ingredient listing of her candle blend (as many here have stated they don't do) then why are we complaining that she is not giving out those details? Kind of looks like a double edged sword to me.

JMO

Angi

I said it. It is not a lie. If they ask me what the % is, I tell them 30% soy. Most of the customers never get that far. They just want to know if it is not straight parrifin or straight soy. They have had problems with both. The blends seem to be a little better. I usually explain to them that we use a blend because it makes the candle much better. But if they just ask, and are passing by, I tell them parrifin or soy blend, what ever they ask. And if you think about it, most customers don't want a long drawn out speak on what is in the candle. They just know that somewhere, somebody said, OH don't get parrifin, or OH don't get soy. I don't remember losing anyone because the wax is not straight soy, or parrifin. Ok? Does that clarify a little more. I don't want you to think I am being dishonest. Because I am not.:smiley2:

• 25% Soy Container Blend One-pour container blend wax (in most cases) Soft & Creamy Texture, easy to work with Excellent This one is from Texas Candle Company WIX N WAX 130 Container Soy Blend IGI 6006 See the supplier list this blend as a soy blend. Why? Because parrifin is the norm for wax. Soy is new, so they list it like this. Then the customer will know it is a soy blend. Even though it should really be called a parrifin blend since it is mostly parrifin. Now do you have a problem with it?

Thank you to all the people that defended me. And to Teresa, you have me mixed up with someone else. Nothing in your post is true about me. I just wanted to clear my name. All I wanted to do is share with you something that seems to work for my business. I sell a great candle. The blend seems to have a lot less smoke than the parrifin, but not as much as the soy. I do not want to give out my recipe. But I feel like they need to know that it is a blend. If they are really interested and have a fear. I let them know exactly what is in my candles. They may have an allergy or something and need to know the ingredients. It is funny that there is not alot of post anymore, but when something like this comes up, everyone has the time to put in their 2 scents. I would have rather someone that thought I was in the wrong, just tell me. Deb I don't think you should do it that way. Instead of talking to everyone trying to build it into something it is not. I am sorry I ever posted.

When I posted the original quote I did not notice or include a name; it was the statement that stood out. Personal comments were neither asked nor called for. The opinion pendulum has swung both ways! I'm sure the majority of opinions were expressed to address the statement - not any person in particular. From the posted reactions it could have been posted by any one of a number of members!

My personal heartburn is the loose (but industry supported) usage of the term "blend". There are both soy and paraffin waxes "blended" with a small amount of additives for frosting, UV protection, etc. Soy is an apple; paraffin is an orange. But when you start adding the two together you get something entirely different...a hybrid so to speak.

To me (personally) the more appropriate term is a Mixture! Unfortunately that's not term ever used. Since we are producing a finished product the consumer can only go according to how we advertise it. If they hear SOY Blend they will assume the majority of the candle wax is soy. Likewise calling it a Paraffin Blend would imply the majority of the mix is paraffin (which in this case would be true.)

I'm just wondering what is so awful about calling it a parasoy candle? That is what it is...and the term does not reveal any formulation secrets!

I doubt that I'd reveal the percentage, or that customers would ask. I use paraffin for my pillars and a soy blend for my containers. I was playing with paraffin blends (my own) last year for pillars and would not have considered them anything other than parasoy. To use the soy first implies that it's more than 50% soy IMO.

ParaSoy.jpg

Dramatic, but as a candlemaker I don't give that the time of day. Candles are made of candle wax. It's some combination of ingredients that have customarily been used in the industry for decades. The consumer has no basis for assessing which ingredients are preferable and the particular formula used has no bearing on their health. The idea of the government getting involved in that is beyond ludicrous.

I'm not addressing the issue of fragrance oils. That's between the government and the fragrance industry. They sell me something I can use in candles and that's all I know.

My ingredient list is candle wax, fragrance oil and dye. That's about as interesting as it's going to get. If I use a blend that contains soy shortening, I may call it a soy candle based on whatever standard I care to adopt.

I agree with Top??? What is the world coming to? Too much info is sometimes a bad thing. I have never had a customer ask, that is except the ones that were going to copy my stuff.

Part of the original comment:

"When they want soy, I tell them it is a soy blend. When they want parrifin, I tell them it is a parrifin blend"

Whether a customer wants soy or parraffin, what they want first of all is honesty. The only part about the statement that is true is that it is a blend. Just because it contains soy doesnt make it a soy blend. Just because it contains parraffin doesnt make it a parraffin blend.

A soy-parraffin blend would be honest. Or para-soy.

But what would I know? I'm just another witless consumer.

Part of the original comment:

"When they want soy, I tell them it is a soy blend. When they want parrifin, I tell them it is a parrifin blend"

Whether a customer wants soy or parraffin, what they want first of all is honesty. The only part about the statement that is true is that it is a blend. Just because it contains soy doesnt make it a soy blend. Just because it contains parraffin doesnt make it a parraffin blend.

A soy-parraffin blend would be honest. Or para-soy.

But what would I know? I'm just another witless consumer.

That is how I saw it. What's wrong with just saying its parasoy? And for those that don't think that the kind of wax in the candle matters I have allergic reactions to one of these waxes. Which one is not important. What's important to me is that I know what wax is in the candle so I can make an informed purchase.

The bottom line is we are free to run our businesses how we see fit. You may not always agree with what others may be doing and that is fine, but we should focus on ourselves and what we are doing, not trying to police everyone else. What you may not feel comfortable doing, someone else will feel comfortable doing and they are the ones that have to live with it,not you.

Live and let live.

Angi

Ok, after reading all of the post and thinking about what everybody says. I have decided to just call it a parasoy blend. If they want future info, I will give it to them. I don't want to be sneaky or lie about anything. And I honestly didn't think I was doing anything wrong. But I think this would be the best way to describe it. Now I am going to have to explain what a parasoy is...:tongue2: I can hear it now.... Is this stuff really made out of parrachutes????.....Oh.... you pare those little soy beans up into wax??????....... What....... a pair of soys, what is that?.......Is that like that Lea and Parrins soy sauce?.............. I can't wait..:confused: Maybe when they ask me what kinda wax I use, I will just say WHITE....:D lol

Now I am going to have to explain what a parasoy is...:tongue2: I can hear it now.... Is this stuff really made out of parrachutes????.....Oh.... you pare those little soy beans up into wax??????....... What....... a pair of soys, what is that?.......Is that like that Lea and Parrins soy sauce?.............. I can't wait..:confused: Maybe when they ask me what kinda wax I use, I will just say WHITE....:D lol

:laugh2:"pair the little soy bean...." LOL and you know they'll ask.... :)

It will just make the customer/seller experience all that more enjoyable and rememberable...lol Just remember to add the aspirin to the gallon of coffee to speed the pain reliever along.. :P

I on the other hand will not be intimidated by some of the silly people on this board and will continue to call my wax whatever I want to. Judy, why don't you do something constructive and help us figure out what's wrong with IGI6006 & some of the other waxes peeps are having trouble with. Now consistency & quality in wax is important to us hard-working chandlers. Carole

An interesting post for a newbie thinking of selling in the future. I am curious what would be correct to tell people if I am using a KY blend and I have no idea what percentages are in the wax? In either case... I feel that unless there is nothing but 100% soy with no additives it is a blend. I personally would call the parasoy, comfort blend, perfect blend, personal blend, etc a soy/paraffin blend. :D I could care less what someone else calls it.

I agree about calling it parasoy... I could picture all kinds of questions! including "there is a NEW soy"? and "there are TWO soys"?