need advice...soy or blend??

I have been making candles for about 7 yrs now. I have ALWAYS use KY125 soy wax. It has not EVER given me any problems and Vicky is GREAT. But I now live driving distance to CS and am looking to make a wax change. I know i have to go through all the testing again....but I like the thought of pouring hot and not having to wait. I am looking a two waxes from CS

IGI 6006 or GB464 i tested the 464 when it came out and really liked it. I have NEVER played with a blend but everyone on here who responed to a previous thead about the 6006 seems to really like it.

If I use the 6006 I am going to use the sq mason jars (i think) and was thinking ECO wicks I was going to try the eco 6 or 8 in that jar. But one person said this wax does not like strange shaped jars....so not sure yet. If I use the 464 I am going to test eco 8 and 10 in that jar. Am I somewhere near right..??

Anyway for the question what would you do?? Stick with what you know (the ky125) or start all over with unknown wax?? I am so undecided on this:confused:

TIA

tootie

I switched from KY to GB444 for the exact same reason. I really like the 444. I didn't like the 6006, but to be honest I probably could have tested a bit longer and gotten it to perform quite nicely. I use LX wicks, and am very happy with them. Welcome to NC!!

Yeah I'd like to know too.

I tested the 444 and really liked the 464 better because I could pour hot. I am afraid to try the 6006 right now (see bugtussles post ) i had NO problems with the 464 when I tested it. I was in OR at the time and finding a supplier was a nightmare. I can get the 464 from CS so maybe I will stick with that for now.

tootie

The GB415 from CS should be the same as the KY125 without cottonseed. After all soy wax is soy wax, check out the meltpoints and additives to figure which are like. You could always call Vicky and explain the situation, I bet she will give you heads up to which of the waxes you have to choose from would be most like the KY125.

welll.... I tried several parasoy blends, tried blending my own, and was just never happy with any of them. By the time I got the paraffin low enough to satisfy me, I might as well not add it. 6006, I believe, is more paraffin than soy... but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will jump in to correct me.

I spoke with Henry K (he is a wicking guru) a long time ago when I was having trouble with parasoy, and he offered some sage advice. You can wick soy. You can wick paraffin. It's hard to wick for both. Now, as you know if you've been researching, there are countless people who have no problems wicking a parasoy blend. This is just MY preference.

I pour my 444 fairly hot, and have few problems. I can't remember the last time I waited for slush to pour. I've been playing with adding CO, but I'm not sure that it's changing much or that anything even needs to be changed. I added BW to my KY (I used KY125) and I like the 444 just as well without anything added. Did I answer your questions? If not, let me know!

I Am Very New Any Thing You Want To Tell Me I Would Like To Hear, I Want To Make Soy Candles In Containers I Don't Know What Kind Of Soy Where To Get It What Wick To Use What To Do . . . Please Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can learn a lot by visiting the supplier sites, if you look on the top of the general candlemaking threads, you'll see the link to suppliers by state thread. I would start with suppliers in your state or close to your state. Also read, read, and then read more of the threads here...priceless information contained within!! With so many waxes, wicks, fo's and dyes and containers out there, everyone has their own opinion of what works for them. Smart shoppers stay as local as possible and learn to work with what that supplier carries. I hope you find that you enjoy making soy candles as much as I do!

I've found that GB464 is very easy to work with and we're just beginning to get into making candles. I get smooth tops every time and it has great cold and hot throw. Now if I could just find the right wick for my jar!!!

I dont know what kind of jar you are using but when I tested the 464 I tested with CD's and they worked GREAT! you may also try eco's.

tootie

I've found that GB464 is very easy to work with and we're just beginning to get into making candles. I get smooth tops every time and it has great cold and hot throw. Now if I could just find the right wick for my jar!!!

If you're getting a good HT, you can't be too far off on your wicking issues. You must be getting a pretty decent melt pool.

I dont know what kind of jar you are using but when I tested the 464 I tested with CD's and they worked GREAT! you may also try eco's.

tootie

I'm trying to single wick a 12oz metro jar. From previous searches I've read that others have had the same problem. I am getting a decent melt pool, but it's not as clean as I would like and it doesn't catch up later on. I'm trying the 700s right now, but I might give cd's a try..thanks!

I know lots of people had problems wicking that jar. I dont use that jar. I use 9oz hex jars and was using CD12 or 14 in them with the 464. I am changing jars back to the 8oz jelly so I figure CD 10's in most of them or HTP104's.

tootie