New to board and making Candles

Hello all,

I have been reading through the board for hours now. Tomorrow ill be heading 2 hours south to a wholesale supplier. I have a few questions about soy wax. Ive notice you all have stated not all wax is the same, And i was wondering if you could look at the website to help me pick out the best wax on there. I have about $300.00 to start with and cant waste a dime of it. Im just afraid of buying the wrong wax and wicks and being without any profit..i wont sell a bad candle. ive watched candles be made many times but that person is no longer here to ask these silly little questions too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(jar candles) and looking into also making cake candles ...can you use soy for them? thanks again.

Elly

http://www.candlesupplycentral.com//i.php/store/category.html?cid=9

I have news for you.

There is no best wax. It all depends on what you are doing with it and what you are expecting. If everyone told you what they use it would cover all the available products on the market.

More news.

An online message board isn't a shortcut to profits for a newbie, unless you are looking to get the exact formula and specifications for someone else's candle so that you can make and sell theirs instead of your own. Otherwise you have to think about what you want to make, try waxes, try wicks, try fragrance oils, and spend the requisite time and resources on learning to master chandlery.

In other words, I would not count on a single penny of profit from your initial $300 investment unless you are either willing to sell a bad candle or just replicate what someone else is selling.

You might want to know all that because 2 hours worth of gas is expensive these days.

I've only been making candles for 3 years so can't offer the best of advice, but having worked with a Paraffin blend (J223), soy/paraffin blend (Joy Wax) and now working with a 100% soy/veg blend I can share a little bit.

On another candle forum, there was a poll and the majority of candle makers use a soy/paraffin blend (best of both worlds :)) and there must be a reason for it - so for a new candle maker it might be the best way to start and you will likely get lots of advice.

I saw on the site you linked that they do have one - maybe start there??

I wouldn't rush though, and buy a bunch of one type of wax and expect that you'll love it and wah-lah - beautiful perfect candles. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You've got many, many hours of testing ahead of you before you make a profit. And then as soon as you get everything just right, something inside you will say - I must change everything now! And it starts all over again! At least for me it worked that way :undecided

Sorry I didn't help much - maybe someone else uses one of the waxes that the store you're going to carries and they can give you more specific advice.

Hope it all works out well for you :)

topofmurrayhill, im not looking for a shortcut i was only asking for advice not someones formula, just in help picking out a good wax. the only reason i used the word profit is i cant afford a loss.I know i will have trial and error but i was trying to make it a little less then it will be. i quit my job 3 weeks ago to be with my child who is very sick right now... leukaemia. thats why ive been on here hours tongiht after he went to bed to research it.

Vicki,

Thank you, your advice did help. im going to look into the soy/paraffin and see what i can find on it.

Elly

I'm sorry Ellectra.I have a sister with leukemia and a niece who had a masectomy 2 weeks ago.A friend who died in June and also a friend who was on life support for a week recently.My sister has chronic leuk and they say she can have it for years.May have had it years before ever diagnosed.

I am sure this is rough.This whole year has been rough on me.I have cried more this year than in my lifetime.I am just not sure about my niece.Tumors are growing faster than they can take them out.Also another friend was diagnosed with breast cancer this year beside the one who passed away with lung, liver and brain cancer.

I saw where the company is and I live in Ohio but have no idea about this place but like what they have.I did e-mail you and hope things go good for you.It will take sometime to get things started.I gave a few suggestions.I have been making candles only for 2 years but I have found answers on Boards and also where I get my supplies.Talk to them tomorrow when you go in.

LynnS

Maybe it would be best to not use the whole $300 right away at this place you are going to. Call some of the places mentioned on this board and ask for samples of the waxes. Then you can see how they each work.

I think most people use RRD or LX wicks. Again, you can get sample packs of each brand (These you'll have to pay for, but they are worth it). You will get like 5 sizes or more in each sample pack.

As for color, if you are going to use it, I would stick with liquid dyes. You only need a few drops for each candle and they blend much better.

For fragrances you can get 5 Free 1 oz samples from a place called Royal Aromatics. They are the only ones I know of that give away free samples. They are cheap to buy from but they have a $50min if you decided to order from them. But at least you'll get a feel for all of this with some of these free samples.

The website you listed doesn't say if they have wax samples or not. They have a 5lb soy at $8. and 10lb parasoy for $13. That is a lot of wax to buy for just sampling.

You can buy jars at Walmart pretty cheap if you want to go with a basic jelly jar.

I hope some of this helps. Once you play with some of the waxes, people will be able to answer the more definite questions you'll have. It does take time. It can be fun and frustrating at the same time.

Nobody would tell me anything when I first started out. I had to learn it all the hard way. (And expensive way) So I don't mind answering any questions if I can.

good luck,

Jeana

This is definately not a make profit quickly venture. Many hours of testing waxes, wicks, fragrance oils, and jars go into getting a candle that is safe and sellable. I know that you don't want to sell a candle that is not safe. To start out with, if it were me, I would order a starter kit from a reputable candle supply, like Peak Candle Supplies (on the right side of your screen), or somewhere close to you. There are several that sell them. They are not that expensive and it will give you the things necessary to get started. That way you can get a idea of what you like and don't like and what works for you and what doesn't. Like Top said, I wouldn't waste the gas, as expensive as it is. Everyone has a wax, dyes, wicks and jars that work for them. But what works for one person and is perfect for one person, the next person is not going to be happy with. I spent several hundred dollars just testing the first few months last year, to get something I was happy with. If you plan on selling them, it will probably be several months of good testing, and more than $300.00, to sell your first good candle. Very sorry to hear of your circumstances, and best of luck to you.

I'm so sorry Elly for what you are going through right now. I took care of my terminally ill son who passed away when he was 10. I had him at 17 and then had 3 boys in diapers all at the same time with one in a wheelchair by the time I was 21. Life is never easy. Hang in there. Prayers are going up for both of you.

Just wanted to encourage you in your candle business because it will give you a creative outlet to balance the difficult times. It is so therapeutic and can be a real time to just shut the world out and create and you get so much joy with every milestone along the way. Each scent you add to your line is such an accomplishment - like a "new baby" to show off to everyone :)

Hope to see ya around here sharing what you find :)

Hi--

I have to agree with getting a basic kit to start with. There are just too many options, and that 300 won't stretch far. Get samples of a couple different waxes, and just go from there. My first candles were jelly jars, and they were really an easy place to start. I would also recommend Just Scent for oils, she has great oils and gives out lots of free samples. She is in Ohio and has great waxes, too.

The main thing to remember is that you are going to go through lots of testing before your candles are ready to sell. Most of us worked at it for a couple years at least before feeling confident about selling our line of candles. So don't take if personally when you hear folks telling you to test first before selling---this is sound advice coming from people that have been in your shoes before. We just hear lots of newbies wanting to make a candle to sell in a week, and that is just scary. Candles require lots of testing before ever being put on the market.

Have fun---

Jordan

www.justscent.com

Good luck with your child, and enjoy creating.

I think it is right not to spend $300.00 all at once.I have a few places near me and it is great but she is going for almost a 2 hour drive and I go 45 minute drive and it gets old.I can understand not wanting to pay shipping.If this is a good company they should give some pointers.I ask questions all the time on couple Boards and at the candle supply places

I do travel to get supplies but buy on-line also.It depends on the FO I want, the certain soap at a lower cost and also certain jar.I have one company only 35 minutes from me but they do not have a store so I have JARS shipped.That is a killer. The 8 ounce JJ I get wherever they are found.

Really I hear of so many that do not have a candle supply place near them and it is bad.I don't know what I would do without these 3 places.Still though some don't have what I want and some have quit carrying what I liked.Then it is shipping time.

I agree that candlemaking is a great outlet. When my husband had lost his job last year and I was so stressed, I got interested in the candlemaking. I know it wasn’t the ideal time, but I really needed it, to keep me sane. It sure helped to keep my mind off of things and gave me something “busy” to do. Now it is an addiction. I have more candle supplies than I know what to do with. I am no longer just satisfied making container candles, I just got interested in pillars as well. There is so much inspiration on this board, you just want to try it all, LOL! Just spend enough time in the gallery and you will know what I mean. It will not be a money maker for you at first, but you will certainly have fun learning.