Dye Flakes Doesn't Melt

Making carrot cake with dye flakes from MC & BCN, trying to get a orangy red cast to MC brown, using BCN brick red. I have tried putting some hot wax in a measuring shot glass with the brick red dye flakes, they just won't melt. I have to use a glove to hold the shot glass it's so hot. Can anyone suggest another color in the dye flakes that I can use in place of the brick red. I have MC dye flakes, spicy orange,orange, red. KY scarlet red, spice red.

Appreciate any suggestion, HELP !

How funny - I just used the Brick Red from BCN for the first time a few hours ago. It's my first experience using the flakes. I added them to a soy blend at 190 to 200 degrees and they melted fine but left some little dark particles at the bottom. The color is dark and smooth though which I love.

Maybe you could set a couple ozs of wax aside and melt it with the flakes in the micro if you don't normally heat that high and then just stir it into the rest. Maybe more trouble than your wanting though?? :undecided

Yes, the color is good. I also notice that the colors that have red in them - tend have some light debris.

What I've done is put them in the bottom of my pouring pot - and just hold that over (not on!) my stove (physically I hold it above the flame - never ever put it down). It will heat up the pour pot enough to soften the flakes. (Is this how you do it Jeana?) Then I add the melted wax to the pour pot.

I keep a pot of hot water going on the stove. When the dye is melted I put on the next pot of color while I am weighing and stirring the melted one. It keeps it moving along. It doesn't take long to melt the color this way. If I don't premelt blocks especially I get spots. I won't order them again but I have to use up what I have.

I also notice that the colors that have red in them - tend have some light debris.
The same is true of red powder (at least the one that Pourette sells) and color blocks containing red that are made from it. It suggests that the dye flakes aren't an essentially different product. I'm just very curious what the base substance is for the flakes.

I melt my wax in the presto pot, when the temp reaches 185, I then put my pyrex measuring cup in the micro and heat it for 2 min. then put the measuring cup on the scale and pour my wax that has reached 200. then I add my dye flakes right away. Maybe if I add my flakes ( brick red ) in the measuring cup as soon as it comes out of the micro and pour the hot wax on top of them they might do better. I will try all of your suggestion, except for Henryk,

I can't use my stove like Henryk does, mine is electric, I don't think that would work, I really appreciate the suggestion Henryk.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP.

I'll let you know what one works for me.

I melt my wax in the presto pot, when the temp reaches 185, I then put my pyrex measuring cup in the micro and heat it for 2 min. then put the measuring cup on the scale and pour my wax that has reached 200. then I add my dye flakes right away. Maybe if I add my flakes ( brick red ) in the measuring cup as soon as it comes out of the micro and pour the hot wax on top of them they might do better. I will try all of your suggestion, except for Henryk,

I can't use my stove like Henryk does, mine is electric, I don't think that would work, I really appreciate the suggestion Henryk.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP.

I'll let you know what one works for me.

Danielle, I actually put my chips in the pyrex and then stick in the microwave for a couple of minutes, then I add my wax. Does pretty good for me. HTH