Do I need citric acid in lotion?

daniedb

I know it's a pH balancer, right? My problem is that I'm trying to create an absolutely natural lotion to market to moms whose babies have eczema, and I've found a few wonderful oils and butters that I think are going to work really well. I think I've finally accomplished the basics of lotion making, in keeping it emulsified with e-wax, but I want to leave the citric acid or anything else but water, oils, butters, e-wax and EOs. Am I dreaming, or is it a possibility?

I know it's a pH balancer, right? My problem is that I'm trying to create an absolutely natural lotion to market to moms whose babies have eczema, and I've found a few wonderful oils and butters that I think are going to work really well. I think I've finally accomplished the basics of lotion making, in keeping it emulsified with e-wax, but I want to leave the citric acid or anything else but water, oils, butters, e-wax and EOs. Am I dreaming, or is it a possibility?

I do not add citric acid to any of my lotions.

.... but I want to leave the citric acid or anything else but water, oils, butters, e-wax and EOs. ...

and a preservative, right? ;)

No, citric acid isn't necessary in a lotion at all. Only time I've seen it used is in a Olive Oil & Honey lotion of Bandis from the dish, and it was just to replace apple cider vinegar.

Huh? Robin? What? I can't hear you, la la la la la....

All kidding aside, I have debated, for this lotion ONLY, leaving out the chemical preservatives. I would market it as preservative free, and advise moms to keep it in the fridge.

My son has struggled with eczema for the last few months, and I have tried many different things...as a mom of an eczema sufferer, I would be thrilled to find something all natural and preservative free, and I know a number of other moms through online communities whose children have it, and they always try to go with remedies that are all natural.

It's a dilemma - of course, I know the risks of not preserving, but at the same time, I fear the preservatives would irritate the eczema and worsen it.

I dunno. I welcome your thoughts.

It's a hard choice. I understand the reasoning. But what is worse - the preservative that's used at most at 1% that might make the condition worse, or an infection on a baby's skin from a contaminated lotion? You're braver than I to trust a consumer to make sure to keep something in the fridge. ;)

I would make *sure* to do lots of APC tests, do one of the product as made, after it's been kept in the fridge for a month, after it's been left out, and see what the results are.

I hear ya Danielle on wanting to keep the baby lotion "all natural" after all they are our BABIES, but I have to agree with Robin on this, that I would just be afraid of how consumers would actually care for the preservative free lotion KWIM? :eek:

That being said, I thought I had heard that there was some "natural" preservatives that could be used? Maybe not as good as the others, but isn't there? Maybe I'm imagining it, but I had thought I had read about this somewhere on some board. ;)

If you find one you know works Dan, I'm all over it, let me know, as my daughter suffers from it as well, and the medicated cream she uses now, I'm just leary of her using too much of KWIM? :eek:

Michi - I hear ya! I know once it leaves my hands, it's out of my control, and I hate to have the liability for a consumer storing it wrongly and having it go bad and be the cause of an infection or something.

I know that some people swear by GSE and a few other natural "preservatives", but they're still not effective against many nasties. Perhaps I could test with some GSE and a few other things and see what happens.

And dude - I know about the creams and stuff, and not wanting to use too much. Elidel works pretty well on Henry's spots, but the long-term use of steroid creams is a scary proposition. I try not to think too much about long term effects, because I believe that we won't have to use it very long, and he'll grow out of it. However, I don't even want to use it for longer than a few months, which is why the drive to find something natural that will help.

I'll let you know when I come up with something...these ingredients just cost SO MUCH. Argh.

I lost a great account because I wouldn't sell my lotion without a preservative.....I was only gonna sell with the stipulations that they only buy a 2 oz. size, keep it refrigerated and throw away after 3 months TOPS!!! Finally I just said NO I wouldn't do it, cause you never know what others will do with your products.

Why not make a balm or salve instead of a lotion, then you won't need a preservative!! That's what I do now. Just a thought!

sudsnwicks - yep, that's my boy! He was a teeniny little guy in that picture, only 2 weeks old, and now he's 21 months old. Where does the time go? He's pretty adorable, thank you so much for saying that.

ChrisR - See, now, that's why this forum is here, isn't it? What a fabulous idea. Duh. Seriously. That's exactly what I'll do. I'll do a butter type balm. Thank you so much for that wonderful idea.

why don't you do butters:cheesy2: instead of the lotion. My daughter who has severe excema is the reason I got into the b&b stuff.

Pure butters with the right oils is all you really need. She was also given a steroid cream and I only used that a few times. I have been able to keep it under control for about 8 months, no excema flare ups! Her skin was damaged with all the scarring, but it has been improving as well with the use of the butters.

No way would I ever sell a lotion without a preservative. And you don't really need it with the butters (though I do use it in my butters, and there has been no interference with the progress)

could one of you guys share a basic recipe that is Ok for severe eczema?? my neice has it very severe..so much that her mom is worried about facial scarring and such:cry2: , I would love to be able to make her a safe formula to use on her, right now she pretty much uses no creams or lotions of any kind.. they all irriate her..

Instead of a lotion then...why not a sprayable body oil. Aloe Gel & Oils, in a bottle, shake and spray.

Without the introduction of water, you'd be alright without a preservative, right? You then could infuse the oils with calendula, lavender, st. johns...etc..right? Or am I way off here.

Its just a thought

• 1 year later...

It's very important to keep the skin slightly acidic (in the range of 4 and 6.50), or it is suseptible to infection and drying.This is why we should make sure our lotions and soaps are slightly acidic. Citric acid is made primarily of citrus fruit unlike the intimidating name. Do yourself a favor and read about the pH of the skin and the "Acid Mantel". It's helpful if you have some chemestry background but not necessary. A couple of articles that I have found to be fairly straight forward are: www.cwimedical.com/incontinence-skin-ph.html another is http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition-centres/777-792-823-1841,15329.asp

Hope this is of some help to you.

Lynn

Daniedb:

And where have you been my dear?! :smiley2:

Glad to see you back!

Jennifer

This was originally post in 2005, I think she's still gone.

Yup, just checked her profile and she hasn't signed on with that name since August.