Eight Oil Neroli Swirl - Redux!

OMGosh that is breathtaking. How do you get them to look so perfect?

Is the Neroli you used Essential oil, or an FO? If it is EO what does it smell like? (floral, spice, earthy......)

When I peel the paper off my soap it is not smooth looking like that, in fact it isn't smooth at all. Is yours smooth because you wait a few days to unmold it?

Since this is a loaf mold, how are you cutting it? You and Grumpy were talking about this time and "normal" cutting.

Do you mind sharing your swirl technique?

Sorry for all the questions.

Jeana, the FO is SW Neroli di Orsini. It's a strong FO that smelled just like a citrus tree in bloom when I tried it in candles. I disqualified it for that application cuz it's a wick clogger, but thought to myself if I ever tried making soap maybe I'd give that scent a whirl. Eventually I did use it in my first batch of soap.

My father happens to have lemon trees in his greenhouse. If you haven't smelled citrus blossoms, I'd describe it as a tangy/sweet floral smell. It seems a little sharper in combination with soapy aromas but nice.

For swirling in a loaf mold I found this link in the forum. http://www.beauxeaux.com/swirltutorial/howtoswirl.htm. I do something like that, not exactly, but the blow by blow doesn't matter. I'm sure there are many variations on the technique that would work. The key is that you need to alternate swirl and base to make sure there's something going on all through the loaf and not just on top.

I'm sure the effect can be nice if you just cut the loaf like a loaf. But I don't know exactly how it would look because by the time I tried it I came up with the idea of cutting the loaf like a slab. It's just that the slab is two bars deep instead of one.

Then I just plane and bevel with a simple dohickey.

Jeana, the FO is SW Neroli di Orsini. It's a strong FO that smelled just like a citrus tree in bloom when I tried it in candles. I disqualified it for that application cuz it's a wick clogger, but thought to myself if I ever tried making soap maybe I'd give that scent a whirl. Eventually I did use it in my first batch of soap.

My father happens to have lemon trees in his greenhouse. If you haven't smelled citrus blossoms, I'd describe it as a tangy/sweet floral smell. It seems a little sharper in combination with soapy aromas but nice.

For swirling in a loaf mold I found this link in the forum. http://www.beauxeaux.com/swirltutorial/howtoswirl.htm. I do something like that, not exactly, but the blow by blow doesn't matter. I'm sure there are many variations on the technique that would work. The key is that you need to alternate swirl and base to make sure there's something going on all through the loaf and not just on top.

I'm sure the effect can be nice if you just cut the loaf like a loaf. But I don't know exactly how it would look because by the time I tried it I came up with the idea of cutting the loaf like a slab. It's just that the slab is two bars deep instead of one.

Can ya do this swirl effect with M&P soap base??????:D with minor adjustments?

Thanks for the swirl website. I've only marbled in a loaf mold. I will definitely give this a try.

And how long did you leave this in the mold before you cut it?

And how long did you leave this in the mold before you cut it?

Jeana the timing for that is probably best determined by observation because it's affected so much by the recipe, degree of trace and stuff like that. I've generally been leaving it in the mold a few days and waiting maybe a day or two longer after taking it out.

I have 3 wood molds I would like to try using along with my Mr Do Rights..

Can you only use freezer paper or can you use wax paper too?

BTW Top, I guess you have really earned your name"TOP" cause those soaps are Tops

Screw the no-liner mold concept! If it's working for you, God bless. I still like my Doright mold, but a little extra work up front with freezer paper banishes all fuss and drama at de-molding time!

DeJae, thanks for the kind words.

I did everything with the cutter that came with the mold.

As regards the liner, you need to use freezer paper because it's coated with plastic instead of wax. Not sure, but I suppose the problem with wax paper is that it doesn't stand up to the heat of the process. The paraffin has a relatively low melting point.