Did I break my HP 2600N color laser printer?

I finally broke down and bought one of these babies and now I think I broke it. It came with all this orange tape everywhere so I pulled it off. Then I saw these orange plastic things hanging off of each ink thing. So I started to pull it off, and then this tape started coming out from the inside. I pulled a little more and now there is red ink on this tape. I tried calling the HP number but they are closed until tomorrow. The directions just showed a picture that I couldn't make out.:confused:

I'm sure I broke it. Anyone remember what they did with these things when they first got theirs?

It hasn't been all that long since I unpacked and set mine up. It sat for almost a month before I opened it! I do remember thinking that something was wrong when I was pulling all that orange plastic off, but I don't remember any red ink. The instruction sheet was almost worthless, to say the least.

Have you tried to print anything? Don't forget to set your paper type on transparency if you're doing clear labels. And I also found out that if you're printing cardstock you have to change it to that, too. Otherwise, you get some messy spots.

Go to their website and see if you can find something out. That's what I did when my cardstock came out messy.

You have to pull those strips off... try doing another one. I don't exactly remember red ink either, but I bet you're okay. If it were me, I'd yank it out and yank out the rest of them and get on with it LOL. But I've been sorry a time or two because I'm impulsive like that. All I know is that those strips do need to come out.

Okay, just talked to hubby about ours. He said those orange things are normal. You take the cartridge out of the machine. Pull the tab out and all the tape with it, and then put that cartridge back in the printer, and move on to the next one. HTH Sandi

Hey all! OK, maybe someone can help me out...I have this same printer and have had it for about a year. I print my labels using this printer and it seems that after printing about 5-6 sheets, the ink is somehow getting onto a roller and printing blotchy ink mess on my label sheets.:mad: I tried printing some 4"x5" glossy white labels and they got all "inky". What can be causing this? I've read raves about this printer on this forum so I must be the only one having this problem???

Any advise?

Thanks!

I did it! It worked!:yay: You guys are awesome! Thank you sooo much! I thought I had broken it when I started seeing color coming onto that tape.

Now I'm trying to print stuff out to see how it looks. My son hooked it all up and did the hooking up of this thing and THEN I see down at the bottom on #6 where it says..."Do NOT connect USB until prompt."

Ummm...yeah, he did that before the prompt, so now nothing prints.:waiting:

Back to the drawing board I guess....ahhhh....such frustration!

Maybe if I uninstall it and reinstall it, would that help?

Hey all! OK, maybe someone can help me out...I have this same printer and have had it for about a year. I print my labels using this printer and it seems that after printing about 5-6 sheets, the ink is somehow getting onto a roller and printing blotchy ink mess on my label sheets.:mad: I tried printing some 4"x5" glossy white labels and they got all "inky". What can be causing this? I've read raves about this printer on this forum so I must be the only one having this problem???

Any advise?

Thanks!

Are you using inkjet or laser labels? Does the 'ink' scratch off easily?

• 4 weeks later...

wait, you're supposed to place the orange tabs BACK on the cartridges? I pulled all of mine off and out of the printer and the cartridges. :confused:

I assumed it was like our b/w laser here at work. You just pull the tab off and throw the cartridge in the machine and be done w/ it.

I am using laser labels and the "inky mess" will not come off, it's almost like it's baked on.:mad: What could this be?

Thanks!

There should be a feature to clean the cartridges.

I've taken a look at my tools. Try going to the printer toolbox on your computer

Start -> Programs -> HP -> HP color laserjet 2600n -> HP color laserjet 2600n toolbox

This should open up in your browser.

Now it should show Status/Troubleshooting/Alerts/Documentation in tabs in the top left of the window along with your ink information, etc. Click the Troubleshooting tab.

You'll see Clearing Jams. On the left there will be a menu bar with Clearing Jams/Print Problems/Troubleshooting Tools/Animated Demonstration. Click Troubleshooting Tools.

Fiddle around there, I think the Print Quality Troubleshooting Pages bit might help. I don't know though, since I can't see what the marks are. You might try cleaning and calibrating the cartridges first, the options are on the same page.

Laserjet printers DO basically bake the ink (lol). Inkjet printers spray liquid ink on, that's why they have to dry. Laserjet printers deposit powder ink that they bake into the paper. That's why with laserjet printers the paper comes out warm, and the ink is waterproof. It's also why until recently it used to be impossible to print glossy or transparencies - simply because the heat from laserjet printers melt the glossy coat or transparency, which means disaster for your printer. Ask me how I know :tongue2: I nearly really did break my HP2600n then!

Lesson learned: ALWAYS make sure your glossies or transparencies are laserjet compatible.

I am using laser labels and the "inky mess" will not come off, it's almost like it's baked on.:mad: What could this be?

Thanks!

Actually, this may very well be fixed by changing your paper settings. I know just what you mean if it's black and very ugly. It's a mess! Smears all over the label, and the more you run through the worse it gets.

If you are printing labels, you need to be sure that you change the paper settings to labels, or something heavier than plain paper depending on the gauge of your paper. Try labels first. You may even need to try card stock. Then try running your label sheet through. If a box pops up and tells you that you are out of paper, say hit the OK button, and then on your printer hit the Green check mark button telling the printer to use the available media. This is just telling it to go ahead and use whatever is in there. That should clear up the baked on ink look right away.