Is Gel harder to work with

kandlekrazy

I've been working with soy for a couple of years now, just got into Palm and I'm considering gel. Not sure I want to get into it if it is much harder than palm or soy to work with. Few questions that come to mind:

1. Is clean up difficult?

2. Is it harder to wick?

3. Will most "candle glass" work? Everything mentions heavy duty!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Gel doesn't seem anymore difficult than anything else to me. The worst part for me is test burning. It takes forever to burn a gel candle!

Cleanup is easier for me if I use glass to heat and pour with. I bought glass pots at the Salvation Army to heat gel in. It's easier if you wait until gel is cooled because you will get tons of little balls of gel everywhere. Even being careful, they get everywhere. Wicking isn't as difficult with gel as it is with soy, etc.

As far as glass goes, I've made candles in champagne and cocktail glasses that seemed pretty thin. I've never had one bust yet, but I don't really do many because of that chance. Of course, if you make the beer candles, those mugs are plenty enough heavy to withstand the heat.

The undersea scenes in the ivy bowls are a pita for me. I've also lost my wicking notes for those containers, so I haven't made one in a while. I never even finished test burning the last one I did!

You have a lot of room for creativity with gel!

Gel is one of the easier waxes to work with you just have to follow some basic guidelines concerning FO and the items you put in them. Make sure and read everything you can on gel this is a good place to start http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2957 make sure and read through our section here we have given tons of tips and helpful hint on gel.

Thanks for all the info. I did read that link before my questions, it has a lot of great info there. Are there different "types" of gel wax? Do you know of any other suppliers that may have info on their sites? I just love the look of some of the gel candles and maybe I'll just be making them for myself, but I think I'll give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer gel to soy, I like to be creative and gel gives me that freedom. I think everyone already mentioned the down sides to it, plus I dont seem to sell as many gels as soys, but I do charge more for gels than soys. I get a lot of "they're so pretty I wouldnt want to burn it". :( It takes a lot more concentration to make a gel, but that is my way of relaxing. It can definately be a lot of fun.

• 5 weeks later...