What can make a pillar...

flame bounce all over the place and smoke like a chimney? I am using 6228, 6% fragrance, and very little liquid color (1 - 3 drops) in a 3" pillar. My first 2 or 3 burns are beautiful, but then all h$ll breaks loose; I have a bouncing, flickering flame that spits out smoke all over the place. I thought I had the wicking pretty much figured out, but then I went to pour 7 new fragrances, and cannot get any wick to work. Could it possibly be the liquid color? I am totally stumped on this one ! I am really getting ready to give up on this pillar idea, even though, I love creating them. PLEASE HELP! :cry2:

I have tried the following wicks:

CDs, Premier wicks, Fil-Tec Ultra Core and X-Trim. I did try a "regular" 62z and found that it may work, so I read on the board that some of you like the low smoke zinc. I would like my pillar to consume itself instead of leaving a wall...will the zincs do this if wicked properly? Thanks again all!

No drafts and I always trim my wicks. The wick being too big, or the flame to large could be my problem. On my notes I have written large flame, large, flame, large flame. The funny thing is, these wicks worked before and are now giving me fits. I am relatively new to paraffin waxes; hooked now though, so I really don't know what wicks work best yet. Any insight? Thanks or your reply! :cheesy2:

I sure find that different fragrances can cause a problem too. My local supplier, who sells very high quality (meaning expensive) FOs has been telling me to decrease the FO amount in pillars. Have you tried HTP or pure cotton wicks. I'm not too sure, but I don't think the majority of pillar makers use zinc wicks.

As Georgia says, with square braid I'd start with a 1/0 or 1. With flat ply I'd start with a 30. However, I find that I sometimes get excellent burns the first time and then on a marathon burn they can conk out, so be sure to do one long burn. As I said before, I'm finding that HTP wicks are working better for me with heavy or strong fragrances. Haven't tried Performa, but the local supplier keeps bugging me to.