Another Request for Business Name Help

pinecreek

Hi, everyone!! I have only posted a few times but I am addicted to reading all the threads for ideas, help, knowledge, etc.

First, let me say, this group seems to be one of the most helpful, creative group available. Not trying to "brown nose" but it is so nice to realize that there are people like me out there! I have been testing soy based candlemaking for about 1 year now, still have a ways to go, but am convinced this is what I was meant to do... enough said!

I seem to be stuck now on creating a business name. My 1st idea was Pine Creek Creations but have come to realize that it's probably not a good idea. I know there is Pine Tree Candles and it seems like pretty much every Creek seems to be represented in the Candle making world!! :grin2: I am originally from Pennsylvania, now residing in North Carolina for the last 20 years, but I will admit my heart is in the hills of PA. I like country but really not totally prim. I want to start with candles, but want to branch into soaps and lotions eventually. I really don"t want to be limited to Candles in my business name.

My ideas so far are:

Mountain Laurel Originals (state flower of Pa, kind of a play on my name and it's abundant where I am from)... my favorite so far.

Tiadaghton Originals (this is the State Forest name around Pine Creek and it is the Iroquois name for Pine Creek... it would make sense to the people of the area but I am afraid that the spelling will really throw people outside of this area of PA.)

Miller Farm Originals (my family name, I grew up on a dairy farm and it would represent my family, particularly my Dad, who was my hero).

Figure 8 Originals (our favorite family field...). My husband suggested it... it wouldn't mean anything to anyone but my family, but it kind of strikes a chord with me.

After this, I am drawing a blank. I am willing to incorporate a North Carolina aspect but can't seem to come up with anything that just rolls off the tongue. I do like the idea of Mountains being represented... that's a part of my heritage. Where I am from, we also pronounce Creek as Crick so I was thinking that might be an idea... Crick Creations or Crick Originals... it will admit, overall I like Originals rather than Creations but am open to any ideas you have to offer.

Thanks for any suggestions. I look forward to hearing anything that you might have to offer.

The Mountain Laurel sounds nice, but it seems a bit confusing and with my stupid gutter mind when reading it aloud I hear "Mountin'(g) Laurel"

Tiadaghton is tough to remember, so if you tell someone who's curious to go to that site, they'll have no clue how to spell it and won't remember later.

Miller Farm Originals - I swear I've seen that name somewhere else.. could totally be wrong, but I'd double check

Figure 8 makes me think of ice skating stuff

Those are obviously my opinions, but that's what comes to mind.

A few suggestions I can think of:

Pancrick Originals (A combo of PA, NC and Crick)

Snow Cap Crick (or creek :) )

Rocky Crick Creations

Liberty Laurel's (or a variation on)

Pining for Laurel (haha, Pine.. pining, get it... hey, it's just an idea! :) )

Mountain Pining

Mountain Crick Creations

Hartinpa Originals (a play on Heart in PA)

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I'd be careful with the Tiadaghton one. I've never heard of it, can't pronounce it and couldn't spell it if I were looking up your website. Most people say 'creek' instead of 'crick' so they might type that in when looking for you. We say 'crick' a lot in my family but I think it's a regional thing. I really liked Mountain Laurel until I read Miss Mary's version. LOL I'm not very good at naming either. :embarasse

I like Miller Farm Originals. The meaning behind the name is a nice story. I agree about the Tiad-something name being difficult to spell, pronounce, etc.

Keep the name simple and go with your gut. Usually your instincts will steer you in the right direction. You want your name to reflect you and your business, and you know that best!

I like Mountain Laurel Candles.

With that said, don't know what color the mountain laurels are but in my mind I'am thinking blue, a clear label with black print and then a simple picture of mountain laurels in blue. Just my 2 cents worth!!! I am waiting for 2nd presto pot full of wax to get hot enough so just meandering!

Still waiting for wax and did a search and I guess they are white - might still work though. Wax about ready so I'll stop now!

My vote is for Mountain Laurel Originals, it's also available.

Miller Farm Orginals reminds me of some kind of canning, like vegetables and jellys. Farmers Market type of stuff.

Crick or Creek Creations, like someone mentioned some people say it differently and would probably spell it different meaning you would lose business over it. But both name are available. I personally don't associate crick or creek with B&B or Candles.

I personally like the idea of using Miller Farm Creations, or some variation of Miller Farm in your name. It's easy to remember and sounds homey and comforting. You would have endless posibilities for incorporating family stories, photos, etc. into your business or website. You could even have old family photos on some of your labels....sorry, getting carried away....

:2cents: Mountain Laurel is nice and people can draw nice sensory associations from both words. Figure 8 appeals to me even more though - it's different and you could do a lot with visuals - like a skater (human or animal) on a bar of soap or the rim of a tub. Or go more abstract (my preference)- after all, a sideways "8" is the infinity sign, which I associate with my state of mind in a wonderful aromatherapy bath. You could adapt Escher's moibus print, except instead of ants walking around the loop use something more B&B - soaps? Or a photoshopped waterfall twisted into the shape? Or turn a moibus strip upright to look more like an 8.

Crick or Creek Creations, like someone mentioned some people say it differently and would probably spell it different meaning you would lose business over it. But both name are available. I personally don't associate crick or creek with B&B or Candles.

My business name is Hay Creek Candles. I have never had a problem with people not associating my business with candles.

It just depends on what you personally want. I think Mountain Laurel or Millers Farm are nice. You could play on either one...Mountain Laurel Scents, etc. I like Millers Farm Orginals, but I also like country/prim themes. There's a ton of options. I also think Pine Creek Candles is nice :grin2:

Hi, everyone!! I have only posted a few times but I am addicted to reading all the threads for ideas, help, knowledge, etc.

First, let me say, this group seems to be one of the most helpful, creative group available. Not trying to "brown nose" but it is so nice to realize that there are people like me out there! I have been testing soy based candlemaking for about 1 year now, still have a ways to go, but am convinced this is what I was meant to do... enough said!

I seem to be stuck now on creating a business name. My 1st idea was Pine Creek Creations but have come to realize that it's probably not a good idea. I know there is Pine Tree Candles and it seems like pretty much every Creek seems to be represented in the Candle making world!! :grin2: I am originally from Pennsylvania, now residing in North Carolina for the last 20 years, but I will admit my heart is in the hills of PA. I like country but really not totally prim. I want to start with candles, but want to branch into soaps and lotions eventually. I really don"t want to be limited to Candles in my business name.

My ideas so far are:

Mountain Laurel Originals (state flower of Pa, kind of a play on my name and it's abundant where I am from)... my favorite so far.

Tiadaghton Originals (this is the State Forest name around Pine Creek and it is the Iroquois name for Pine Creek... it would make sense to the people of the area but I am afraid that the spelling will really throw people outside of this area of PA.)

Miller Farm Originals (my family name, I grew up on a dairy farm and it would represent my family, particularly my Dad, who was my hero).

Figure 8 Originals (our favorite family field...). My husband suggested it... it wouldn't mean anything to anyone but my family, but it kind of strikes a chord with me.

After this, I am drawing a blank. I am willing to incorporate a North Carolina aspect but can't seem to come up with anything that just rolls off the tongue. I do like the idea of Mountains being represented... that's a part of my heritage. Where I am from, we also pronounce Creek as Crick so I was thinking that might be an idea... Crick Creations or Crick Originals... it will admit, overall I like Originals rather than Creations but am open to any ideas you have to offer.

Thanks for any suggestions. I look forward to hearing anything that you might have to offer.

:2cents: Not that my opinion matters, but personally, I don't like any name that contains "original", "creations", "alternatives", "solutions"-or anything of the kind. These terms are often associated with startup companies that are trying to make their mark with a name. As I try to come up with a name, I picture myself answering the phone with that name. Also picture someone stopping at a co-worker's desk and asking "Is that a ________ candle?". See how it rolls off the tongue. Pine Creek Candles is good. So is Miller Farm Candles. The big guys don't have any cutesy words after their names so there must be a reason. Also stay away from names nobody can pronouce. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

:2cents: Not that my opinion matters, but personally, I don't like any name that contains "original", "creations", "alternatives", "solutions"-or anything of the kind. These terms are often associated with startup companies that are trying to make their mark with a name. As I try to come up with a name, I picture myself answering the phone with that name. Also picture someone stopping at a co-worker's desk and asking "Is that a ________ candle?". See how it rolls off the tongue. Pine Creek Candles is good. So is Miller Farm Candles. The big guys don't have any cutesy words after their names so there must be a reason. Also stay away from names nobody can pronouce. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Oh nutty coco! I bow to thee! That is an absolutely wonderfully perfectly thing to think about!

First, I want to say thank you for all the great suggestions!!!

My 1st choice when deciding that I wanted to start a business was Pine Creek Candles... but the domain name is taken. Even though, there isn't a web page up for the business, it's got to be out there somewhere, right.

My 2nd favorite is Mountain Laurel Originals but I kind of agree with the comment about the word Originals, Creations, etc.... it does sound start up and it doesn't roll off the tongue. I also found a Mountain Laurel Soaps online and since I want to eventually branch into Bath and Body... it doesn't seem right to use Mountain Laurel with whatever I would add to it. It could get confusing.

Then there is Miller Farms... it does sound like a food business. So, now I don't like it (believe me, I am driving my husband batty, too :embarasse )

But, last night (or morning), I had a flash. What do you think of:

Pine Laurel

I am afraid to say I like it but, it combines my 2 favorites, domain name seems available (for now), and implies country with a little class.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I think gmp had a great point...your name should tell a story. No matter what your name is, you will always get asked "So, why is your company named...?" You will sell more product if you have an interesting name.

Also, I think it should be easily remembered. The one beginning with a "T"...is difficult to remember.

Look at available websites. My girlfriend wanted to name her company something...can't remember at the moment...and the website was taken. Even if you don't plan to have a web right away, it's alway good to get the domain name registered.

Also, think about logos. What can you do with each name? Figure 8 lends itself to a definite shape. Mountain Laurel has the floral. Check out www.gotlogos.com if you can't come up with something...$25/logo.

Good luck.

Chris

Hi I am new here but I will say what I think.:grin2: I agree with everyone about the T name and difficulty remembering and pronouncing it. My first thought is you absolutely must love the name and the look of the logo since you will see it so very much. If it means alot to you, then it will last - your interest and determination. I am not sure (2nd post) if my logo shows or not but, it says naturals. I was torn between naturals and essentials and though I love my name and logo, the later is less limiting. Laurel Mountain Essentials ( or Mountain Laurel Essentials) might work if you plan to add body care later. The story is nice to incorporate into company info. This is what I say in my catalogue.

"Egyptians believed you had to take care of your body and prepare it for your next life…

Ra Naturals

believes in taking care of our bodies for this life to enhance the health of our skin for personal enjoyment and comfort. That’s also why our products are designed for men & women equally. After all, soft, healthy skin should not be exclusive to either sex but for the enjoyment of both!"

I also wanted to used lots of dead sea salt so it worked. Good luck!