Would one of these work for heating wax?

We cannot get presto pots in the UK, but i am always on the lookout for something that would melt wax in easier than a double boiler, i came across this tea/ water heater urn on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320134379736&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk

Would it work for heating wax?

I'd check about the thermostat control - high/low might not work - but it really does have a dial thermostat, I think you have a chance here. I do remember other people using coffe urns...

found a link http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43151&highlight=urn

I also found another thread that said there was info in the archives, too. I didn't go look though...I seem to get lost in memory lane there.

I have a paraffin wax machine (used in beauty salons). I WAS using it for my tendonitis and arthritis in my hands and don't really use it that much. Not sure how hot the wax gets once melted but, could I use this as a safer alternative to melting wax then using my gas stove? Not sure about mixing colors in it though, as it might stain it?

We cannot get presto pots in the UK, but i am always on the lookout for something that would melt wax in easier than a double boiler, i came across this tea/ water heater urn on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320134379736&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk

Would it work for heating wax?

I would be a little concerned that the plastic pour spout may not get hot enough. It may work the first time but, once shut off and the wax solidifies, will there be enough heat generated to melt the wax in that spout?

I'm sure if it worked well there would be many of them advertised and sold for that purpose on EBay. Anybody out there ever try it?

Wanted to see what it would cost to ship a Presto Pot there and for regular snail mail it was like $41.00, plus the $24.00 for the pot...I guess it's too expensive to buy here and have shipped.

Actually at the current exchange rate it works out at about £33 which isn't a lot of money for us Brits here.

The killer for us is paying £80 ($160) for a transformer to change the voltage from your 110V to our 240V so we can use the blasted thing.

Ruby

In order to use a Presto Pot this is the sort of thing we have to use here in the UK http://www.beststuff.co.uk/pbright_vc1500.htm

Ruby

So something like this wouldn't work? The Presto Pots are 1300 watts, 120V AC

http://cgi.ebay.com/EURO-ELECTRIC-ENERGY-CONVERTER-ADAPTER-US-TO-UK-110-220_W0QQitemZ200126456888QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

do you have what we call crock pots like you fix stews and stuff their like a presto pot only cermic i used one of those when i first started you have to use a metal dipper i don't how ya do a spourt on those i have heard of people using the fry daddy too their made out the same stuff presto's are only smaller

hope that helps some.

Yes, we do have crockpots and slow cookers but the ones on sale here don't have a precise temperature control. Ours just say low, medium or high. there is no thermometer type gauge on it at all. We don't have fry daddys or turk'n'surfs here either. We have deep fat fryers, but our ones start at a temperature of about 100C (212F). Too hot to melt any form of wax. Great for making chips though :grin2:.

kandlcrazy, I'm not sure that those would work here. They look like travel adaptors, the kind you take when you go on holiday to foreign parts. I wouldn't think that they would cope with running a presto pot continuously for hours on end. Nattycat has in the past posted her first experiences with presto pots, and the heavy duty transformers are the ones, I believe, that she uses.

Ruby

Just found another transformer made by Newmarket in Devon for only 64 pounds with a case. Bit of a savings! The first ones listed are without the case for 57.50. They are step downs! (VAT not included)

www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/autos.asp

Hi there. There not that much cheaper. Once you add VAT they come to £75 plus delivery. The other site charge £79.99 including VAT and they do FREE delivery. No matter which way you look at it us Brits pay through the nose for everything. Welcome to rip-off Britain.

Ruby

you do need one of the heavy duty STEP DOWN transformers - I tried one of those other ones, it blew up my presto pot and the convertor. Had to throw the presto pot out.

Thanks for reiterating that Natty. I knew you'd post your own personal experiences ;).

It seems that the Presto Pot transformer thread keeps coming up more frequently these days as more UK people join up.

Ruby