Red Currant Swirl Hand Soap

Recently I was asking some advice about formulating a hand soap and this is what I ended up making. I'm really optimistic about the recipe. It lathered up beautifully right out of the mold and was pretty gentle on the skin for newborn soap. Something about the surface texture and the way it's curing seems good too. These are the SoapCalc numbers for it:

Hardness 44

Cleansing 24

Conditioning 52

Bubbly 24

Creamy 20

Iodine 62

INS 152

It's fragranced at 0.8 oz ppo with Shaw Mudge Red Currant, which BTW soaps with zero troubles. Coloring is Select Shades.

I won't bore you with the story of why, but this batch ended up going into the mold at the thinnest possible trace. I mean seriously, it was the flattest top you ever saw on a mold full of soap. I just left it alone for a few days in a warm place and it firmed up beautifully, but I did have to use a soap cutter around the sides to make it part ways with my Doright mold.

Since I use a loaf mold, I add swirl color squiggles in layers. This soap ended up mainly swirling itself because of the thin consistency. I just gave it a little extra help.

Oh yeah, and (oops) could this be moved to the gallery please.

post-710-139458430118_thumb.jpg

Are the balls leftovers from cleaning up the bars? What a neat way to salvage them!

Yeah I saw the soap balls thing on the Miller site and did it. I decided that planing and beveling is my style, so it's good to have a way of putting the scraps to use. Thanks for your comments. :)

Gorgeous soaps! Love the coloring and the way you've planed and beveled!

I make soap balls from my trimmings as well. It's tradition for me to hand them out to my 4th grade students about twice a year. So, nothing goes to waste!

Obviously, you're a "natural" soaper! :grin2:

Those are very pretty, I love the color. How important is the trace.? I am thinking that as long as everything is well blended and it has gelled, that the soap is soap. Does anyone know what the trace is actually for? I did a batch yesterday and just blended until I thought it may come to trace, and poured very thin, unmolded it today and it was fine. Firmed up very nice, smelled good, and I didn't get zapped. I am just thinking I might start doing this more.

How important is the trace.? I am thinking that as long as everything is well blended and it has gelled, that the soap is soap. Does anyone know what the trace is actually for? I did a batch yesterday and just blended until I thought it may come to trace, and poured very thin, unmolded it today and it was fine.

I bet you're right. My take on it is trace can give you an indication of how much head start the soap has gotten firming up. With a very fast recipe the question may be whether you have time to get it fully emulsified and mixed before that. With a slower recipe you have ample time to mix and can pour it very thin if you like, but sometimes you may have to wait a while. Mine was still pudding after 8 hours in the mold, but now it's transformed into good hard bars that came out really nice.

I think I might do this more often too.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

As you go along I guess you figure out what kind of soaper you are. I'm a planer and beveler. I'm a room-temperature guy. And now I think I'm a thinnest-trace pourer, LOL.

This kind of swirl can be a signature look for me, but I also want to try the more distinct ITM swirls, just to say I can do it. For that I'll need to do a batch at a thicker trace.

Thread moved.

And those are very pretty indeed! Great color.

I usually pour at thick, but have done it super thin too - poured just after everything emulsified. I usually get more ash that way, but it does let you play with colors more.

I'm a rustic/non trimmer - thick - cold lye gal myself :) Though I did just polish and bevel my wedding favor order, and it looks really cool. So shiny and smooth.

I usually pour at thick, but have done it super thin too - poured just after everything emulsified. I usually get more ash that way, but it does let you play with colors more.

That's a good observation. I had a film of ash over the top of the loaf. The way I finish the bars it doesn't matter at all but for others it might.