Whipped shea butters

diamondk

We have debated this issue in the past, and its a good one. :wink2:

I personally cannot stand the smell of unrefined shea. I don't care what you add to it, that scent is always present~ you can't cover it up. It also varies in texture/color/scent from supplier to supplier.

Others LOVE the smell of unrefined. They say the refining process does take away from some of the natural benefits of shea butter. I use refined shea and it makes a lovely whipped butter.

Come to think of it, I don't think the average customer is aware of the difference. As long as they see the words "shea butter" it means a luxury ingredient to them. I first became familiar with it from shopping at L'Occitane, and I don't think they put whether it's refined or unrefined. It may be in the fine print somewhere but on the front label it's just "shea butter" in large letters. So I'd say to go ahead and use whatever kind you have instead of buying more.

personally, I don't care for the smell of unrefined shea either, yet it is the type I choose to use. Usually, it is cheaper to purchase unrefined shea vs. refined and there is a HUGE difference in the quality and scent of unrefined shea from supplier to supplier. I prefer Agbangakarite's unrefined shea as it is the creamiest unrefined shea I've come across. The smell of it is not quite as "sharp" as some I've gotten from other suppliers. It is well worth the extra cost to purchase it from them IMO.

I think the smell of the unrefined might "get to me" after a while, kwim? But, I REALLY LOVE this stuff (from the co-op), just used it right out of the bag on my elbows, and although it's a bit sticky on it's own, that stuff works like magic on rough dry skin!! :D

Now, I just have to find some recipes to use this stuff in-I got a ton of it, and don't have ONE single recipe yet. LOL

I think the smell of the unrefined might "get to me" after a while, kwim? But, I REALLY LOVE this stuff (from the co-op), just used it right out of the bag on my elbows, and although it's a bit sticky on it's own, that stuff works like magic on rough dry skin!! :D

Now, I just have to find some recipes to use this stuff in-I got a ton of it, and don't have ONE single recipe yet. LOL

Michi - pm'd you with a recipe to try. Hope you like it. :D