I am a newbie

when it comes to making candles. I love to burn candles though. I recently lost my job and decided I would go into business for myself. I decided I want to make candles and market them. (after perfecting them of course)

My question to all you "experts" is, how should someone like me go about starting this? I see lots of different places to go to purchase the supplies but how do I know what is right for me?

Off to see if I can gain some knowledge about this business. I just LOVE candles!!

Best advice I can give you is to purchase a starter kit from Peaks, make sure you really have the time, energy and especially money to invest into a full blown business and don't expect to get rich quick. I'm going on 5 years and am no where close. Anyone here will tell you the same thing, also read read read read EVERYTHING on this board and study closely. We are here to help if you need it! Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I have nothing but time right now. Once I get the sweet smells of candles in this house...I might start looking like the energier bunny on speed. :laugh2: My husband (Joe) works so money won't be an issue right now. Plus I have talked this over with him and my mother and I am very serious about doing this. They both said they would pitch in $150 each for me to get started. I am sure that could yield me enough test candles for a first time go around since I have read that votives are easier for a first timer.

In regards to testing. Just how long does one go through this process? It would probably vary, correct? Depends on how "quick" the person is to get it right everytime? Also, do I test all the candles myself or can I give them away to family and friends to be "critiqued"?

Believe me, I am not out to get rich quick. I know that building a business takes time. I only worked part time before I lost my job and If I can bring in $400 a month by doing candles, trust me, I'll be happy with that (for now anyway) ;)

I have been reading the site and I tell you what....This is going to be tough when it comes to the Fragrances. I haven't seen so many fragrances in my life. :shocked2: What cracked me up was the "Mary Jane" scent. :laugh2:You've got to be kidding me? People would actually WANT their house to smell like that? I hear it stinks.

:wave:Merry Meet Dawn,

You know I really do not know. I havent bought ant kits. My experience has been just buying the 10 lbs of Parrifin or 2 lbs cream wax from the craft stores...then after that I bought 10lbs of soy wax and the parrifin from the candlemaker online supply store.

Good luck to you and hope you find what you are looking for to get started. As you can see there are a lot of experienced candlemakers here. I have only done this for 2 years.

Hugs

Brightest Blessings,

LP

Thanks Candle Makin Momma. I am just not sure which company to go with. I don't have any of the proper supplies and I want to get the best for my moeny to start out. BC's kits only have jelly jars. Do the votives sell better than the jelly jars?

I really do appreciate all your help. I just want to make sure I start of on the right foot.

I bought my kit from http://justbynature.com/candle_making_kits.html

Included in my kit was GB444 wax and everything else listed, since then, they have changed waxes but it is a great kit to start with. The best advice I can give you is to look for suppliers nearest to you to save on shipping. Good luck, it's an addictive and frustrating hobby!!!!!

Welcome!

Kiss your Credit Card limit goodbye. Your kitchen and everything you make in your kitchen will smell or taste like FO. :laugh2: You will have wax in everything from your hair to unmentionable places :wink2:

I don't think $300 is going to get you far especially with the rising cost of shipping.

Here is a good link to look at

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6395&highlight=poll

This poll was done over year and half ago and the cost have gone way up since.

I am not sure I have ever seen a soy votive kit. But I have not looked to hard either.

I guess it's a good thing we don't have credit cards. ;) unmentionable places? :shocked2: That don't sound good.

Well, I am a quick learner when it comes to new stuff so hopefully we won't be "selling the farm" to get this business of the ground.

No one has answered my questions about the test samples yet. Do I burn them all myself or should I be giving them to friends and family to "critique" my work? If you give yours away, do you decorate them or just give them plain?

BC is not too far from me (I'm in Michigan) and the sample kit is $10 shipping for a $59 kit, but at least it comes with the stuff I need to get started. All I need is a pot to but the pour pot in. No biggie there.

I can't for see too many problems since you are already the soycandlequeen.

Give them to whom ever you want to test, there really isn't a certain procedure for that to answer that question. You may want to test burn some yourself. What do you mean by decorated?

Get yourself a presto pot from Wal-Mart, only $20.00 or so, may be called a kitchen kettle.

$300.00 won't get you anywhere I am afraid. Maybe $3000.00 to start.

Have fun and good luck.

Oh boy......well, first find the wax you are interested in using whether its soy or parrafin or a blend, then locate the supplier that is closest to you that carries that type of wax...you will want to buy wax from the closest reputable supplier to save on shipping costs. BCN is a great place to start out with, you can get wax, jars, oils, wicks etc...all of it from them, and they have their own message board where you can ask questions too... I would recommend starting out with container candles. As for giving out testers, I will give some to family or friends to get their opinions but ONLY AFTER I have burned the exact same candle myself. Before you even melt that first pound of wax you will want to make sure you read up on what a proper burning candle should look like etc...you will need to know proper melt pools for your size container and the melt pools will be from proper wicking...as for decorating the containers, well that in my opinion is the least of your worries and about the last thing you should even be concerned with. You are starting from scratch you need to give yourself plenty of time time and more time to get this going. Yes you may want to try and locate a money tree for the back yard...you are going to need it! This is definitely NOT a cheap business to get into and it will be along time before you ever see any money for your pocket! It is serious business, you are going to be making a product that has the potential to be harmful to people, that is why it is so important for you to really know what you are doing before you start. You will find alot of candlemakers here who will really try to drive home the fact that you need to be cautious.

Having been on these boards for a number of years, I have seen so many that seem to think it is easier than what it is to make a profit. Trust us when we tell you that $300.00 won't go far and it will be a long time coming before you make any profit - you have to remember your costs have to figure in there before you turn a profit. Shipping alone can kill you - shipping on a case of wax can cost as much if not more than that case cost. 1 oz FO samples may seem pretty cheap but you won't get enough to properly test so it is more worth you money to buy at the very least 4 oz to have enough to test.

It takes time, money, effort and butt loads of patience before you will even begin to see any kind of profit. And if you are working with soy, you will need to make sure to test for all the temp changes that come with the turn of season since it can completely change the way your candle performs - you spend the whole summer testing, think you have it down, and then whammo along comes the fall and winter and your candles don't burn like they had when you tested. Who knew? You will back to testing again. More money.

BTW - you need to test your candles first yourself before giving them to "testers". And then be prepared for all those good candle burning Samaritans that will be oh so willing to test your candles for you - in reality, they will be looking for free candles and most aren't worth a hoot for a good review and getting one from them will be like pulling teeth. And you need to make sure those that are "testing" for you know what to look for when they are burning the candle. It is your butt and reputation on the line so it is imperative that you take this very seriously.

The Candle Cauldron has a form you can use when testing. It can be very helpful for you and any testers (if you get it back from them). We are not trying to discourage you but give you the facts. Obviously it is very possible to make money but it isn't as easy as it appears you may think it is. But if you are serious about this, don't give up. Do your research, buy a kit and start to test. Once you actually start to make candles, you will be better able to ask questions that we can help you with.

No matter how frustrating and expensive this is, it is also a lot of fun and very rewarding. Have fun and the best of luck to you.

I really never said it was going to be easy. I have read the boards and I have lots of time to devote to this. If I can get good/bad reviews from family and friends and what not, I have the time to change what I am doing and perfect it even better. I also have a "money tree" if/when I need it.

I have the patience for this if I can see that with some improvement, I can actually make money from something that I made. Just the comments on my "test" candles would be gratifing enough for me, at the moment.

My only problem is, as I see with some of you is, that I am too much of a perfectionist when it comes to some things. This, may be one of them for me. But who knows. The artist that has been hiding deep inside may just come out with a bang. (positively thinking here)

as for decorating the containers, well that in my opinion is the least of your worries and about the last thing you should even be concerned with.

Starting a business is probably the last thing she should be concerned with. lol

No, of course you don't decorate a tester. Decorations are for packaging purposes only.

IMO, you test everything yourself. Make sure your own house doesn't burn down before you put your product in someone else's home.

Slow down. You've got a long road ahead of you.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

I'm sure that wasn't meant to be snide, although it did seem a bit rude or harsh. The intent most likely was to offer another opinion on the importance of testing and taking your time.

Just follow the previously given advice, read as much as you can, and make sure you take the time and effort to properly test everything you make. It's not a quick and easy thing to start.

Also, a bit of advice. Try to limit the number of scents, at least to start. This will simplify your starting testing a bit.

Welcome to the addiction.

Your desire to succeed is great, but slow down a bit. There are varying levels of experience on this board. There is a ton of knowledge here, but it does seem that you are looking at this as an immediate fix to being unemployed, and well...to be honest that can be very inspiring, but not always the best course to take. That being said...making candles is not a quick thing to "learn." The variables change almost daily. My suggestion would be, (1) find a type of candle wax you want to eventually sell (i.e., soy, parasoy, palm, paraffin or gels), (2) what type of candle -- votives, containers, pillars, melts, etc., and (3) find a reputable supplier close to you (shipping adds up quickly). Now...here's the hardest part...buy the supplies that you must need immediately. That may seem obvious, but not so.

Here's a quick list off the top of my head. Wax, Presto pot (makes life easier), or some sort of method to melt your wax, pour pots (you will want more than one), an accurate candy thermometer, lots of paper towels, candle dye, fragrance oils, wicks (you need different sizes for different formulas of wax, FO, color), a way to secure wicks (wick stick ums, hot glue, silicone, etc.), containers, some sort of way to keep your wicks straight, a scale to measure FO/wax, etc.

The $300 donation is enough to get you started, but don't count on it getting you into business. Hell, a business license, insurance and various other "administrative expenses" well exceed $300.

Stay positive, but also stay "real" and listen to what people are trying to tell you. No one is wanting you to fail.

Try the kit, see if you like making candles and are remotely successful, then plan your business. Good luck.

Sliver's advice is not drama but pure, simple, real advice with the best intentions. We've all been there and know some of the ins and outs of this biz. Been there, done that and have the tee-shirt so to speak. Please don't get so defensive - it doesn't serve any purpose and that will definately create drama. To me, I see it as being disrespectful towards someone that is trying to help. You are right, we all did not know what we were doing when we started and we all have to start somewhere - be we do know more than someone just starting out and will help as much as possible or as much as you are willing to allow us. We can appreciate and understand your enthusiasm - it is very exciting but you do need to stay focused and realistic. That is all we are trying to do for you along with properly advising you on how to get started. :wink2: Would you have rather we painted everything rosy and not told you the pitfalls, what to watch out for or what to expect?

I can say I'm right there with you in being a newbie. Sorry to hear of your job loss, but excited to hear I've got a new buddy who's on the same level. ;) haha

In any case, I've just gotten my second shipment of wax, oils and packaging. I'm quite a fan of the packaging part, but of course I love making the darn things as well. I've started with votives. Whatever doesn't fit into my 1 lb pours, I make into wax melts. I'm eventually going to use them as samples for people to smell. Figured the 'waste' would go to a good cause somehow and I can recycle in a way.

While reading, I just hope you don't get disheartened by hearing people say how hard it is to start in this biz. As with any business, there are going to be obstacles, but it seems you've got a lot of faith as well as a tough work ethic that may just bring you further faster. ;) Continue to stay positive!!!