I am a newbie

I am being realistic. That's the whole point. I don't expect to be a master right off the bat. I am just asking questions. And when someone comes in with big bold letters like that and with what was said, yes, I do take offense.

All I am doing is trying to start off in the right direction. As I said before, I have lots of time to devote to this. I don't think asking questions is going to fast at all. Like I said, I am new to this.

Hi,

My son wants to send his half-sister a soy candle kit. The hard thing for me is that there is so much involved...

You need something to melt the wax in... you need scents, what scents? Jars? What sort of jars would be involved? I'd be inclined to say 16 oz mason jars...

And wicks...

Color? Blocks, liquid or dye?

Or if it's votives, that's another whole ball of wax, excuse the pun!

You're talking molds, wick pins, different pouring temps, instructions (on both types).

I know there's a kit that A.C. Moore sells and it's soy. Maybe I'll just buy her one?

Or maybe I should start selling kits on ebay? Haha! Yah, right! I don't make $&^$ on ebay now.

Well, good luck and I think north star has a kit, by the way. :yay:

oooh! forgot to tell you another thing-- don't be afraid to try products from different companies as well. While your startup funding may not be huge (btw, you've got more than I had to start with, so I don't see there should be any problems).

I used Cierra Candles to get my first shipment. I stuck with their wax and decided to get a different blend. Google is your best friend. haha I did a LOT of price shopping. I have so many links right now in my bookmarks, I had to sift through the other day to get rid of it all so I didn't feel so overwhelmed. If it helps, break it up by day.. focus on one thing maybe even for a few hour increments in case you tend to do horribly with multi-tasking as I tend to do sometimes. d'oh! :P

Keep asking the questions! Even though I'm a newb myself, two heads are better than one. ;) Or a forum full of heads are better than one. haha

My only problem is, as I see with some of you is, that I am too much of a perfectionist when it comes to some things. This, may be one of them for me. But who knows. The artist that has been hiding deep inside may just come out with a bang. (positively thinking here)

I hear that, I have tested over 2000 samples of scent from over 25 companies and I only carry 140 scents... the rest were just not good enough to carry.... and i use regular wax if I were using soy those numbers would drop by about half i bet.

Bruce

Well.....you know....you might just get lucky right away. I did. Then when I decided to make other kinds of candles it was a whole different ball game. If you just want to make one kind of candle then you can speed up the process...my problem was to make as many kinds as possible to increase the chance of making a profit as soon as possible. I have been doing this for about 13 years and I am still experimenting. I have spent thousands. But made thousands too. If you love candlemaking then just keep at it. If you aren't doing this as a hobby then be prepared to spend everything you own or can borrow and research everything you can. Just the smallest thing can make a huge difference. This is a competitive business. You have to be the best in order to make the $$$$$$$$$$$ Donita

You should also have a good product liability insurance policy in place BEFORE you start giving any candles away even to testers!! Accidents can and do happen and any warning labels you place on your candles will not protect you from a lawsuit!!

yea what everybody else said that has posted and plus some!

here is my 2 cents!

I used to make parraffin and soy, soy/parraffin candles but gave me headaches so I had to quit!:cry2:

it took me forever to get my candles the way I wanted!

Well guess what???? I found the palm wax about a month ago and here I go again testing, re-testing, testing and so on! For about a month! I just put my candles in my shoppe and sold out!!!!!!!!!!!! so you really need to think of which wax, type of candles, appearance, scent throw, fragrances, & containers that you want to make! THEN do a research, and more until you learn how to make them properly!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to get your own style and that takes lots of trial and error!

In the begining My hubby started to make my candles and I had to fire him cause he wasn't making THE KIND of candles I wanted!:laugh2:

When I stopped with the soy/parraffin I joined up with Mia Bella and found out that they use palm wax, I started making my own! I am tired of being nickeled and dimed to death with them! ;) Fees around every corner with them! So I can offer my candles at a lower price than theirs cause I don't have the overhead they do! but I use different containers with the flat lid.

I am keeping them around until I get all 200 of my fragrances made! :laugh2:

Just my 2cents worth!:rolleyes2

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to candle making myself, just started maybe a month ago, Ive been reading up on it learning all that I can...I just bought my supplies, from Hobby lobby, Walmart, and FO's & vybar from Peak ( I just love their FO's!) I got most of the stuff to get started from Hobby lobby, & I bought a Presto pot from walmart, & an electronic scale to weigh my wax, the FO's I just bought 20 1 oz. bottles to sample, I know I will need to buy sooo much more the more I get into it, but its a start...Ive got about $ 250.-$300. in so far, Im currently just focusing on votives...still trying to perfect those, is it nessasairy to use additives for votives/pillars or does it just depend on the wax? my wax (paraffin) is from hobby lobby Im not sure on the type but it has low oil content and a melting point of 133-135F, is that good for Votives? Another ?..how do you center votive wicks...and how do you keep the sides from collapsing when burning, is that from air bubbles? Any advice on making nice looking votives would be great, thank you all..In advance!

~Jinna

Welcome, jinna. You might want to start a topic of your own so folks will know you have questions.

Wickpins help with centering issues and votives. Different waxes have different properties - some are too soft for votives. It sounds like you need to find a wax that is made for votives. Generally votives are burned in close-fitting containers - perhaps you were not burning yours in a close fitting container?

Good luck! :D

Welcome, jinna. You might want to start a topic of your own so folks will know you have questions.

Wickpins help with centering issues and votives. Different waxes have different properties - some are too soft for votives. It sounds like you need to find a wax that is made for votives. Generally votives are burned in close-fitting containers - perhaps you were not burning yours in a close fitting container?

Good luck! :D

actually no it was not close-fitted it was more of a roomy/decorative votive holder, I will have to look into getting some different containers as well...thanks for your advice! :)