labels

There goes my career change. Foiled again. LOL I was gonna be the new king of text only labels.

Doug

Those prices are highway robbery!! :laugh2:

I can't imagine paying prices like that for text only labels. The selection is so limited. I would consult someone on the board to design a label for you. It would be much more cost effective and you would have many more options.

Greetings to all of the users on the candletech forum.

I am the president of roteck.com, and I ran across this thread and had the opportunity to read your comments concerning 'Candlelady4ever's question.

At roteck.com, all of our labels and label designs are based on customer requests and feedback. We added the candle jar section of our site about 6 months ago to assist one of our customers. The size and design of the label was to meet that customer's needs.

With that history in mind, I'd like to take the opportunity to respond to comments I've read:

I guess if all you wanted on your label was text..no logo...

True, currently all we offer is text on our pre-made designs. Our system has the ability for customers to upload images and logos on our other labels, but we haven't done so with the candle jar labels, as no one has given us any recommendations, where & how they'd like an uploaded image on the label. So please, feel free to fill out the contact us form on our website, and let us know what you are looking for. I can't guarantee that we'll be able to honor every request, and it may take a while for the changes to be implemented to our website - but our goal is to produce the label our customer's want on their products. Our biggest challenge tends to be making our website software easy enough for beginning web users, yet filled with options to satisfy the expert web users who are used to designing labels with complex software.

2.29 a sheet for just text with limited fonts
Those prices are highway robbery

When I read the 'highway robbery' comment, I think my heart may have stopped for a second, as I really took that comment to heart. At roteck.com, we pride ourselves in offering the highest quality products for the lowest possible price. As our manufacturing process has improved over the years, we have continually lowered our prices in the face of rising material and energy costs.

All of our custom labels are laminated. Due to the fact we invented our manufacturing equipment, I don't believe there is anyone else in the world who can offer someone one sheet of laminated labels for a price anywhere near ours. A typical print shop would most likely be charging at least $30-$50 for a setup charge before they actually started talking about your individual label costs.

From a candle jar labeling perspective, the lamination on the labels may not be as important as it is for our other customers. In our opinion, the lamination gives our cusotmer's products that professional look most 'store shelf' products have. If you're looking for a more rustic look - then lamination may not be for you.

Our pricing (as of 10/8/05) actually starts at $2.25/sheet, and goes as low as $1.35/sheet as your quantity increases. Please note, that quantity doesn't require your labels sheets to be the same. Hence, many customers will order a dozen different sheets of labels, and their pricing level drops to $1.80/sheet. (Most inkjet printers will consume anywhere from $0.50 to $1.50 in ink when convering an entire page with ink.)

If you've made it this far in my post, thanks for taking the time to read my comments. Once again, we'd love you hear some ideas from your group - and feel free to fill out our contact us page and request some samples - as we love to show off the quality of our labels.

Regards, Jason Roteck

www.roteck.com

Greetings to all of the users on the candletech forum.

If you've made it this far in my post, thanks for taking the time to read my comments. Once again, we'd love you hear some ideas from your group - and feel free to fill out our contact us page and request some samples - as we love to show off the quality of our labels.

Regards, Jason Roteck

www.roteck.com

wow.. I am impressed.. I wish everyone I did business with cared so much about the Consumer! kudos!

Hi Jason,

I appreciate your post very much. You have made some very valid points in considering the cost of your labels. I think too often people don't take the printer ink into consideration until after they have gone through a few cartridges in the printing of the labels they make themselves. And you are correct, a printer would charge you a hefty set-up fee in addition to the other costs.

I think it's cool that you followed through with this, and made your way here to clarify things..there are literally hundreds of people here that are struggling with label issues. And hey..ya can't beat this kind of free advertising eh?

Hello Jason, welcome to CT. :cheesy2:

I apologize for the blatant comment on the cost of your labels. I was thinking more on the lines of a hobbyist than a professional in the means of cost. I do understand that many companies charge a plate fee and that your company does not. With that being said, the price along with the materials being used does justify the cost. Perhaps I should have used better wording, forgive me.

You have definitely came to the right place if you do labels~ the business you could generate from this board is endless. It would be a wonderful thing if you offered a custom upload for pictures on the labels within your site. I see how that could be an obstacle for a variety of reasons.

It is a refreshing change to see a business person that cares so much about their product. You came to our board exhibiting nothing but class. Good luck on your future sales and may you continue to grow and prosper.

Hello roteck and welcome,

you said:

When I read the 'highway robbery' comment, I think my heart may have stopped for a second, as I really took that comment to heart. At roteck.com, we pride ourselves in offering the highest quality products for the lowest possible price. As our manufacturing process has improved over the years, we have continually lowered our prices in the face of rising material and energy costs.

What is your method f label printing. IMO the highest quality would be 4 color offset printing on a high quality gloss finish label with waterproof ink. Is that how you do it. If yes then that brings me to my next question you siad:

A typical print shop would most likely be charging at least $30-$50 for a setup charge before they actually started talking about your individual label costs.

The setup charge is to offset the cost of the plates which they make for your label. Those plates enable them to make high quality prints for their customers from camera ready art.

So if thats not the way you do it then please elaborate as I am interested. But no hogwash like :

All of our custom labels are laminated. Due to the fact we invented our manufacturing equipment, I don't believe there is anyone else in the world who can offer someone one sheet of laminated labels for a price anywhere near ours.

People who invent cutting edge technologies patent, market and sell them not print labels with them. I know because I do work for such companies of such caliper.

I am not trying to bash you in anyway, you as a businessman know exactly what you have to sell your product for in order for your business to strive. I also giving you credit for coming here and having a say. However I do some grapichs work and am interested in how your labels are different from those that people make here? If they arent offset printed the they must be injet or laser which people here use. You can buy a nice gloss label and a printer with waterproof ink etc.

annareeb, prairieannie: thanks for the kind words.

mystical_angel1219: thanks as well, and no need for any apologies - as I fully understand the context of you comments.

StacysScentsations:

I'll respond/answer below your quotes.

What is your method f label printing. IMO the highest quality would be 4 color offset printing on a high quality gloss finish label with waterproof ink. Is that how you do it.
The setup charge is to offset the cost of the plates which they make for your label. Those plates enable them to make high quality prints for their customers from camera ready art. So if thats not the way you do it then please elaborate as I am interested. But no hogwash like...

"All of our custom labels are laminated. Due to the fact we invented our manufacturing equipment, I don't believe there is anyone else in the world who can offer someone one sheet of laminated labels for a price anywhere near ours"

roteck.com is a division of our printing business. When we run label quantities of 10,000+ we typically run those on one of our flexo presses (many of which we also built from scratch - as we believe we build a better press than the ones you can buy on the open market.) I'll assume that you know a flexo press uses print plates for each color, and there is a plate charge involved, etc - so yes, I am aware that setup charges include plate costs, etc.

We ran across numerous opportunities where label quantities were less than 10,000, or variable data was required on each label. Consequently we came up with an idea, and after many revisions we have our "short run" custom label equipment.

I'm sorry you feel my quote:

All of our custom labels are laminated. Due to the fact we invented our manufacturing equipment, I don't believe there is anyone else in the world who can offer someone one sheet of laminated labels for a price anywhere near ours

is hogwash, but it's merely the truth.

People who invent cutting edge technologies patent, market and sell them not print labels with them. I know because I do work for such companies of such caliper.

Our label making process is a trade secret vs. a patent - and there are numerous legal reasons and advantages involved in our decision to do so. We had to make a decision to use or sell the technology, and we believed keeping the technology to ourselves at this time would be the best business decision.

Since you mentioned that you work for companies of "such caliper", then you should know that there isn't any equipment on the market that you can purchase to make a single sheet of custom printed, die-cut, laminated labels.

Seriously, as someone who has done consulting work for other manufacturing companies, you'd be surprised at the number of businesses that use their own 'cutting edge' technologies and inventions vs. marketing them. Sometimes a competitive advantage outweighs the potential gains from selling the technology.

We believe our print quality rivals that of offset printing. Our laminate gives the label an excellent gloss, and protects the print so well that most permanent markers are easily wiped off of our labels.

If people want to print their own labels, we think that's great (that's why we sell blank labels as well.) My original post was in regards to comments concerning our pricing and 'limited designs' that are currently available.

I don't feel as though your post was to 'bash me'. You asked many valid questions - and I attempted to answer them as best as I could without disclosing information that isn't meant for a public forum.

Regards, Jason

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. Good to have another resource for labels, that's for certain!

My only contribution (and it is admittedly lame) to this thread: how do you people find these threads?

First Cybele, now this...it makes me think twice before posting anything but rave reviews about a company, LOL!

Thank you jason for answreing my questions. but I dont understand if you are doing it inhouse then why dont you offer graphics on smaller runs. It the technology you use only capable of text on the laminated labels. I mean is that the way it was set up? If I sent you some graphics would your process work I mean the laminating thing on graphics. maybe you could give me a price to have some done, the technology soulds good but would definatlybe better with graphics options. Another thing is how come if you have proprietory technology and a offset print division and the label division etc. Your business address and phone number are of a house in a residential area. According to the satelite image I just looked at. I was expecting to see some huge building and factory type setting not a rural neighborhood. Nothing wrong with working out of your house I do as well but it sounded like you were a very large company.

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. Good to have another resource for labels, that's for certain!

My only contribution (and it is admittedly lame) to this thread: how do you people find these threads?

First Cybele, now this...it makes me think twice before posting anything but rave reviews about a company, LOL!

I would guess someone told him about it which is how it usually happens. Google may pick it up but not for a few weeks. There is software though that runs against major search engines as set frequencies. I have mine run every 24 hours for specific words - My Company - then notify me by email of only the changes from the last search.

Thank you jason for answreing my questions. but I dont understand if you are doing it inhouse then why dont you offer graphics on smaller runs. It the technology you use only capable of text on the laminated labels. I mean is that the way it was set up?

Please read my first post, you'll find the answers to your question there.

If I sent you some graphics would your process work I mean the laminating thing on graphics. maybe you could give me a price to have some done, the technology soulds good but would definatlybe better with graphics options.

What we are looking to do is to create more "templates" that apply to numerous users. These templates would allow for graphics uploading, but I'm looking for input from numerous potential customers to determine the best way to program the website and manufacturing equipment. Our specialty isn't people emailing us their individual label needs when their just looking for a couple of sheets. It doesn't make financial sense for the customer until we start looking at quantites of 1000-5000 (depending upon label sizes.)

Another thing is how come if you have proprietory technology and a offset print division and the label division etc. Your business address and phone number are of a house in a residential area. According to the satelite image I just looked at. I was expecting to see some huge building and factory type setting not a rural neighborhood. Nothing wrong with working out of your house I do as well but it sounded like you were a very large company.

I'm assuming you are looking at our Dyer address. We recently built a new office facility in that area. I don't know whose maps you were looking at, but I know google's are about 3-4 years old, and our office building is not on it (not to mention I have yet to find a map that actually locates our address correctly.) That building is near a residential area. I wish I owned a house large enough to house all of our equipment, but then again I'd probably be retired if I did.

- Jason

If anyone has any label ideas they would like to see, please let us know by visiting:

www.roteck.com/contact_us.asp

Additionally, if you have any further questions or comments, please use the link above, as I am of the opinion this thread is complete, and I do not have any plans to visit it in the future.

I hope we have the opportunity to assist those looking for labels. Either way, best of luck to all of you.

Regards, Jason

• 2 months later...

In response to those who were kind enough to give us additional ideas for candle related labels, we've added a customizable 2" circle label to our website:

http://www.roteck.com/custom_candle_jar_labels.asp

Based on your feedback, we've designed the label so you can change the color, font and font height for each line on the label. Additionally, you can upload a .JPG image to the label (for white and clear backgrounds).

Thanks again,

Jason

• 3 years later...

I realize its been a while since this thread was started but I used Roteck for my most recent batch of candles and I LOVE the labels- You cannot get custom labels much cheeper then this with minimum orders and such -

I even had a few sheets of labels made with the poem that goes with NG's "Reindeer Poo" FO and applied them to those jars :)

~*Sarah*~

• 3 months later...

I just checked out their site and played with making a couple labels. I am intrigued. It doesn't do quite what I originally had in mind; but they still looked great once I played at which lines to fill in and which to leave blank so spacing looked right. But what I really am interested in is the price! For the rectangle label it would cost .25 each label. .19 each for the circle label. They offer free shipping for a $25 order. If you order that much you automatically bump up into the first discount bracket which makes the labels .20/rectangle and .15/circle. I can't print labels on my printer that would have the professional of a look...nor at that price. I have sample labels of different type coatings from a label supplier so I could check out which I like best. Once I get them and fuss with them on my printer and my dad's laser, I can make a decision which route to go. But I do hate the time involved when I print my own labels and laser would mean driving to my parent's house.

Trudi

• 2 weeks later...

"there isn't any equipment on the market that you can purchase to make a single sheet of custom printed, die-cut, laminated labels"

That's not exactly true...Hp Indigo presses are quite capable of handling all these tasks and much more including, spot color, metallic foils etc.

Find a friend (or company) with and Indigo and you can get custom short run labels, die cut, laminated and more pretty cost effectively, usually starting at just 1-1000's labels.

By the way....That's what a lot of the big companies are going with these days as it offers the advantage of short run production, without the setup costs of flexo or offset, yet it has many advantages over other printing methods including the ability of variable data printing which is quite handy in the candle industry with so many different labels and fragrances.

Yankee uses this technology for all of there labeling jobs now.