Re-naming Designer Types

Kelly

Is this a requirement? I don't want to get sued by anyone, but I want people to know what "Type" they are sniffing. Is it ok to Label things like this:

Victoria's Secret Love Spell Type

I know that places like Walgreens sells designer types... not sure who makes these but the bottles say something like "If you like J.Lo Glow, you'll love our Glowing". I guess I was under the impression that using "Type" would be ok, but now I see people on auction sites changing the names of their scents.

Does anyone know the answer?

TIA

I just use the word "type" after the fragrance name if I decide not to change it. I find customers like the dupes (if they are good ones!) so I just use the name to my advantage.

But there are advantages to changing the name too. Definitely keeping ahead of your competion is one of them.

I've seen one vendor at a tourist flea market with heavy traffic who has for years, put the original name on her bottles, never "type" or any other info posted on a sign and she has apparently never had a problem doing this. I am surprised she has never been caught at this, since so many tourists visit the market. I am not willing to take that chance when I start selling. I haven't decided yet whether to list "type" or change the names. I wonder if changing the names completely will disinterest some customers in even looking closer. I like the idea of putting on a sign "If you like ...., you will like.........

Also, what do you all think of this idea on a sign?

"Our Version of the Original Designer Perfumes"

Do you think this would be legal?

Then put original name and the word type {Ex: Lovespell (type) } on the bottles.

Am I the only one who is old enough (and that's not really that old i didn't think, lol) to remember the 80's Designer Imposter Parfume sprays?? The commercial was " If you like Giorgio... you'll love Primo!"... and so on and so on.

I was telling DH about this very issue with trademarked names and selling candles using the dupes of them and how to label them, etc, etc, etc...

HE was actually the one who said to me, in his best seductive commercial voice.... 'If you like blah blah blah, you'll love blee blee blee!' :laugh2:

Sorry, lol. It just struck me funny to read this thread because it's makes perfect sense to me to say that line... but if you remember the commercial, it takes on a whole new meaning. :wink2:

I only use 6 dupes and my plan is to eliminate them altogether. I have changed the names of all of them. I'm not comfy with any of my products being know as "knock off's" "boot leg" or any thing like that. I do believe Royal Aromatics and others will create your own sig scent. I will check into it when I am ready for it. So yeah just change the name..LOL