White CP Soap

EmpressC

It does depend on the oils, butter and FO you use in your recipe - for example, a soap high in olive pomace or a castille soap can turn out more of a green color while a soap using lard, CO, PKO would probably be more of a white bar - barring the use of an FO that discolors. You can also add TD to make a whiter bar. Too much TD though can cause the bar to be chalky.

ETA - I didn't mean to hit the post button. sorry.

Hmmm.. Well EmpressC now I know what might have gone wrong with my failed batch of soap??? :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse I added a LOT more than 1/2 tsp for my 2# batch..like triple what is suggested here.. oops.. I wonder if that is what made it turn into soap toffee?? I am such a dork.. goes to show that more is not always better... ... skipping away and kicking my feet...:embarasse

I added a LOT more than 1/2 tsp for my 2# batch..like triple what is suggested here.. oops.. I wonder if that is what made it turn into soap toffee??

I've used up to 1 teaspoon TD to a pound of oils with no problem, although I usually use a bit less than that. I'm surprised to hear that 1/4 teaspoon per pound even makes a noticeable difference.

I use 40% Olive Oil in my soaps and I use TD at 1/2 tsp to 2.5 pounds of soap and I get a nice white bar of soap...

Kris

kjohnson, When are you adding the TD to your soap? I read that it is supposed to be added at trace? Thanks!

Teri

If you want a real white bar, you need to use oils like Liquid Soybean, Coconut, Palm, PKO, castor etc. and if you want to add olive, look in grocery stores for a bottle of Light Olive Oil. Its hard to find cause most manufactorers wont take the time to refine it that much, but I have been able to find some by Bertolli.

41XYN58V9DL._AA280_.jpg

I used to use the Bertolli Extra Light olive oil and agree that it makes for a whiter CP soap however I don't use any olive oil since I started using rice bran.

Several of the f/o's I use from AH/RE make a white, white soap as they are crystal clear in the bottle.

I have used the TD also but I am not happy with the soaps when I used it.

My baby soap is pretty white naturally. I use Coconut, Palm and Shea Butter with jojoba oil and apricot kernal oil. There is no olive oil in it.

For my soaps that I use Olive Oil and want to swirl a color in, I add the TD in the lye/water. I was having problems adding it into the oils and the soap would trace too quickly and then I would get white specs in the soap, yuk. Since I started adding the TD in the lye/water I don't have that problem.

I did an experiment where I made 3 batches of pure castile (no castor, just the OO). One with pomace OO, one with regular Bertolli, and one with Bertolli Extra Light. The pomace resulted in a soap with an off-white tinge that was quite noticeable. At first the Extra Light was whiter than the regular Bertolli, but by 2 weeks into the aging they were EXACTLY the same shade of white. I couldn't believe it so I brought it into work to have it tested on some meter and yup - same color.

And while on this topic, did an experiment with shea (75% CO/25% shea butter) and the refined DOES result in a whiter bar than the unrefined - slight but real difference there.

What about an FO that discolors (like Pink Sugar)? Will TD circumvent that problem?

Nope. It may be lighter, but it will discolor. Large percentages of lard will give a nice white bar. Personally, the natural color does not bother me in the least. I have used TD only a handful of times. I don't care for the chalky look the soap gets when wet. It rinses fine but looks odd in the interim.

e

• 1 month later...
My baby soap is pretty white naturally. I use Coconut, Palm and Shea Butter with jojoba oil and apricot kernal oil. There is no olive oil in it.

For my soaps that I use Olive Oil and want to swirl a color in, I add the TD in the lye/water. I was having problems adding it into the oils and the soap would trace too quickly and then I would get white specs in the soap, yuk. Since I started adding the TD in the lye/water I don't have that problem.

I wish I had come back and re-read this thread before using my TD. I added way too much and added to the oils before adding the lye. As soon as I turned on the stick blender, it began to trace. I set a bit aside cuz this was going to be my first attempt at swirling. I added my green dye from BCN and for some odd reason this dye just sort of beaded up and didn't really add any color. I'm not sure why since I've used it in CP in the past and it blended just fine. Could the TD have been the problem???

Sigh...

Well, I put it to bed in the fridge. Who knows what it will turn out to be though. Waaaaahhhh!!!!! :cry2: :awww:

I have now started exploring the 100% Coconut Oil/20% superfat idea. It's white as snow, hard as a brick, and NOT drying in the least. Whoda thunk, after all my agonies, that this easy route to a white white bar existed!

Ok, I am going to let the stupid soap side of me come out.

So in soapcalc you are just putting in 100% coconut and up top where it says 5% superfat you change that to 20? Is this correct?

And did you discount water or use it as soap calc says?

Thanks CareBear for sharring again

I have now started exploring the 100% Coconut Oil/20% superfat idea. It's white as snow, hard as a brick, and NOT drying in the least. Whoda thunk, after all my agonies, that this easy route to a white white bar existed!

That is cool that you tried that and even cooler your results! Was this an unscented bar? Just the simplicity of the recipe is very appealing and coconut oil is so easy to get locally.

I've been reading some threads on the Dish that are discussing the integrity of oo and the oo industry. Now it has me wondering if there weren't times I've had a "compromised" jar of oo since I have not always gotten a white bar from it - more of an off color and with unscented. :undecided:undecided:undecided:undecided

I love the look of a white bar. Sometimes white bars are a nice break from the color. But I have to always go back to the colors. lol