In need of a hug

cbv1

There are so many of you out there that have so much knowledge and wisdom. I don't necessarly need advice, maybe just someone to say they understand my feelings and that it is OK. My website has been up and running for just a few months. I work a full time job in software technical support and make my soap bath/body products on the weekends. I just went to my first craft fair a few weeks ago and I got great feedback from customers and did pretty well in sales. There was one other handmade soap vendor there. She sold only goats milk soap, which I don't, so I don't think we were in direct competition. I felt awkward knowing there was another soap vendor there, I hoped she wasn't upset I was there too. I have been trying to find other fairs where there aren't any other handmade soap vendors but that seems like that won't happen. I am finding others that don't have a website or store, they just travel around to fairs or farmers markets. Working over 45 hours a week at my fulltime job has me beat and now I am wondering how in the world do I get my product known out there. It seems so overwhelming and I feel very down right now, like this is a pipe dream and what was I thinking. But I love making handmade soap. It gives me such pleasure and I feel so rewarded just using my own product. I think I may need to wait until I retire before I would be able to do the things I need to do to promote my product. I guess I am just blue and exhausted today and in need of a hug.... so I came here.

Coleen

awww hon big hug.. it'll be fine just having pride in what your doing is great. and don't get down when you do show with similar vendors its always gonna happen. even shows that say they only allow one vendor for products they usually lie. but if your product is good people will realize that.

good luck

:awww: Here's a hug, Colleen! Working full time and starting a business is exhausting. Take a breather. You don't have to do everything at once. Put your feet up, have a cool drink, and you'll feel better. Like everyone here, there's a lot I could be doing to promote my business - but I've realized I have to delay some things in order to keep my sanity. You won't be good at promoting your products if you are at your wits end.

Don't drive yourself to a frazzle! Enjoy your products and take time deciding what you want.

It'll happen. :yes:

I needed those hugs... thank you. I guess I just wonder if what I am feeling, others have felt also... and it is OK and "this too shall pass". I haven't felt blue like this in such a long time. I am not sure what triggered this. I need to make more baby soap today, so I know once I get into that zone that I always get into when making soap, all these doubts will subside... at least temporarily. That zone is such a wonderful place to be... zen like.

Coleen

There are so many of you out there that have so much knowledge and wisdom. I don't necessarly need advice, maybe just someone to say they understand my feelings and that it is OK. My website has been up and running for just a few months. I work a full time job in software technical support and make my soap bath/body products on the weekends. I just went to my first craft fair a few weeks ago and I got great feedback from customers and did pretty well in sales. There was one other handmade soap vendor there. She sold only goats milk soap, which I don't, so I don't think we were in direct competition. I felt awkward knowing there was another soap vendor there, I hoped she wasn't upset I was there too. I have been trying to find other fairs where there aren't any other handmade soap vendors but that seems like that won't happen. I am finding others that don't have a website or store, they just travel around to fairs or farmers markets. Working over 45 hours a week at my fulltime job has me beat and now I am wondering how in the world do I get my product known out there. It seems so overwhelming and I feel very down right now, like this is a pipe dream and what was I thinking. But I love making handmade soap. It gives me such pleasure and I feel so rewarded just using my own product. I think I may need to wait until I retire before I would be able to do the things I need to do to promote my product. I guess I am just blue and exhausted today and in need of a hug.... so I came here.

Coleen

Don't give up - between my 2 jobs I work 60-75 hours a week plus do candles and tarts. LOL and slowly going to the dark side of B&B - not quite sure about it yet though.

I promote by giving my nail tech and hair techs free tarts, etc.

My nail tech gets orders from her other customers as well as she works in the jail - so she gets orders from her coworkers as well.

Hair techs - there are two so it varies.

My own co-workers - one of the sups wife just ordered 51 5-pack of tarts (she splits them between her and 2 friends).

My husband is well known thru the community - so word of mouth there. He djays for many functions so I get wedding requests, etc. He is trying to get me plugged into fundraisers (I just need my own help getting my packets together). He got me hooked up with a lady in Baltimore that is in marketing/promotion and when she does a function she gives me an large order - then from that order I usually get 2-3 new customer orders.

Patience is the key - I know it is tough trying to work and do this but stay persistant it will work out. Don't let it get you down.

I feel your pain. I work full time too and I have a full time shop plus we still do the craft fairs. It can be exhausting. Don't wear yourself down - it is not worth it. And don't beat yourself up either. You don't deserve that and that energy can be channeled into so much more positive venues. Only do what you can and if it is meant to be, all things will fall in place. I believe strongly that all things happen for a reason. There is nothing wrong with taking your time and growing slowly. It is only a pipe dream if you let it be. And don't base your success on others' success. The fact that you are out there, doing what you love and plugging along is notable and should never be discounted. Have faith. :yes::)

I can definitely say that I know how you feel. I too work full time, plus go to school, plus try to run my business. Quite a few times in the last year I've thought to myself "what in the world were you thinking?" But things are starting to look up and I'm sure they will for you too :) It just takes time and patience. People won't recognize your products overnight, but as long as they are good(and I'm sure they are) then it will happen :) Good luck!

Wow... you are all such positive role models. Kinda like "Superheroes". I am very thankful that I found this forum. I may not post very often but I read a lot of posts and find such wonderful mentors here... though you all might not know a lot of us consider you our mentors. Sage advice... that is a gift.

Sniff... sniff..... I will stop crying now. What the heck is wrong with me?

Thank you all :)

Coleen

I understand that you may of felt awkward being at the same craft fair as another soap maker but you have to get over that. Getting your name out for your company is a never ending cycle doesn't matter if you do have alot of time or not enough time as long as you keep at. Which I'm sure you are doing.

There are many of us that have been to craft fairs with more than one soap/candle maker there. We just hope that customers see that our products are better than the competitors.

Good luck and keep up the good work,

Mindy :)

I'm short on advice but long on hugs! :awww: Don't worry about the other soapers at the markets. Concentrate on what you do and love. Just think of all the business in towns who have similar products. McDonalds, Burger King and Wendys. Walmart, K-Mart and Target. Home Depot, Lowes and TruValue. There is plenty of room for everyone. :highfive:

Don't be upset over another soap maker. All shows I have been to I have had competition (used to call it that) but no more. It is what the people want. Certain scents for one and when they smell them and say these are strong it is usually a sale. Most go through every candle. Really have a hard time deciding they want more than 1 or 2.

For website I have it to let people know but most of my sales are only shows every year and they come back every year. Wish they would order on-line but they don't. They wait. They have asked if there is a shop to come to though. If I had a shop they would be by I am sure. On my site I do say you may call in orders. Never happens.

HUgs to you but sounds like you have enough going on and need to slow down. Dont worry if others do what you do. That can wear you down too.

I have a friend who loved my candles. BUT wanted them for nothing. FREE. Her husband went to get buy for her at a candle factory. I said fine with me. I dont care. Started complaining how they burned(bad). Still I didn't care. She chose them and not me. I found a scent I really like and left her a message she needs to get that at the candle company. It is awesome. She calls me back and says do you have it. I said it is on order. So for almost 3 months she talked and complained abut the candle factory,Wal Mart and the Dollar Store candles I forgot about her. Now she wants my candles. Ticked me and upset me to the point I didn't care or want her business. SO I won't fret because I don't care if she buys from me.I can get other customers and it is her loss not mine. I know I have a better product.

It is candles/tarts in my area that sell. The soaps and lotions do not sell. I haven't mastered the MP soap yet but have some and ready to try again thisl time.

Slow down. I don't work but do volunteer work monthly that is close to being full time. I need to slow down myself. If it comes to anything volunteerism will be stopped. It is very much harder than candles and getting out there. Even though he shows don't bring in boo koo bucks it is a break for me.

LynnS

Kudos to you for starting your business while you are still working full time ++. It's a hard thing to do...be proud of yourself! :yay:

I waited until I semi-retired (that's a retired person who doesn't get retirement yet!)...foolish...no money and big dreams!!

Around here, there is usually a hand made soap vendor at the farmer's markets...just a thought of another place you might try. Many of them don't make you commit to long term, you can do 1 day or the whole season.

I know I shouldn't worry about the competition. We are all different in some way. And yes, I am proud that I started my business and got my website up and running. I have to remember all the accomplishments I have made, and will make in the future. Just keep on plugging away.... I feel silly, and guilty, that I worry about this when so many other people have more important things to worry about. It makes this seem so trival....

Thank you again to all of you for sharing your experiences and your words of encouragement.

Coleen

If you have a good product, promoting isn't so difficult. You can always make small samples. Next time you get your hair done, tell your hairdresser that you appreciate the work that they have done and just to show your appreciation you would like to present them with a small gift. (along with a business card)..:smiley2:

Do that with your doctor, dentist, co-worker, the checkout person at the stores where you frequently shop..etc...etc.

Word of mouth can be a really good thing...;)

We've all had those days. It is hard, and tiring to be sure.

The thing is: YOU know you can do this! YOU know you do it well! Be the best you can be, and don't expect it to happen overnight.

Go to local stores, do you know anyone who has a business like a gift shop, hair dresser, even someone in an office that can take some samples to the girls in the office??

It will happen, contacts are hard to come by, but you will find them.

Don't despair.

You know you have the support and good wishes of everyone here - and we all have our struggles and down days, we're human.

Get some rest, things will be clearer to you.

Big hugs and best wishes.

Only one other there? We've been to shows with four or five. I wouldn't feel badly that competition is there and I'm basing that comp on soap to soap (not what kind of soap to your soap). To get known and get your product known you've got to promote your stuff in every way you can think to do it.

It's a tough market out there, but don't axe yourself from being a show because someone may have a like product. Those are the shows you should want to be in ... make comparisons, learn and even get to know others.

Sorry that you feel that way. Here is a hug from the South. It is very hard to work full time and start a business. I am sure that you have a great product, be confident. Look what sets your product apart from the rest and capitalize on that. I would be willing to bet that she may have felt the same way you did. The old school rule, be happy and be yourself and sure, she sells soaps oh well. The trick is to not let it get to you and don't let it show becuase if you do it will just wear you down; you will forget why you started this in the first place--- BECAUSE YOU ENJOYED IT and IT MAKES YOU HAPPY. Sure, lots of people make soaps and candles but each person, has a unique way of making them that truely sets them aprat from everyone. I work long hours in my profession and teach on the side and I am trying to start a business. Children always need something when you are trying to pour your candles, never fails "Mom, I need you, and you stop and go to see what the Emergency is (the tone of the voice which most have down pat) and..... my movie is finished (when you were hoping that she fell asleep for her nap). I have been doing all of the legal research myself and trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I seek an accountant. I think that is a normal feeling, we all have felt. So, get out there and do what you do best. Oh, stop and get a Star Bucks Coffee for the extra boost.

Tilly:yay:

Those are all wonderful suggestions.... you guys are great and I do feel your support! I don't know any of you personally, but it is great that you understand what I am feeling. I am so new at this. I guess I was very niave about my competition and about a soap and B & B business to begin with. I was just so caught up in my product and how exciting it is to actually create something from scratch.

As I learn I am sure things will get easier. I cannot imagine being at a fair that has 4 or 5 other soapmakers there! And I was worried about one? Are these other soapmakers nice to you, or is it cut throat? I had a small comic book store from 1995-2000 in a very small town in the summer months. I tried to make friends with the other shop owners but they were all so suspicious of one another. I found a few that weren't, but the majority were not friendly at all. I guess I was expecting that same type of interaction if I ran into another soapmaker selling their products at the same fair as I was. Plus this fair originally told me I was the only soap maker that would be there so I was not prepared there was another one there.

My daughter reminded me this morning about why I started making soap. Because I love it and I finally found something, a craft or hobby, that I was good at and gave me great pleasure. I need to remember those roots. I started making soap because I just love to make soap... period, end of story. So, I need to stay focused on what my passion is, what makes me happy, and I will take your suggestions about dropping gifts off to places I frequent on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the encouragement, it has made the last few days much easier.

Coleen

It's tough, but keep sticking it out. I also work a full time job in IT (I'm a business programmer) and do my business on the weekend. By the time you get home from work you're too tired to work on b&b, and weekends might be filled with farmers markets or making product or actually talking to family. My FM has 2 other soapers in it. I don't worry about it anymore - I'm different than they are. Sure it's easier without any competition - but competition also gets you thinking about how you can differentiate yourself. At least if someone buys something from your competition, they're still getting good stuff and not buying commercial products. Any time someone buys good handmade is a victory (even though we'd rather have the $$ for it).

Just don't try to grow too fast. I stay small - I'm developing products for when I retire. That's when I'll go full time - I'll have had my name out there for awhile, gotten known in certain circles, developed some cool stuff that works for my customers.

But it does get old, sigh. This morning was pouring 3 batches of soap, then running in to work (an hour away) to fix a computer problem (waiting for some data now), then going back home to try to do 2 more batches.

Hi Robin... good advice. I have about 7 more years until I retire so I have plenty of time. I am planning then on having my soap business as a full-time venture. That is the plan anyway. And that is a good stategy... using this time to develop and test new products. I have plenty of family, friends and co-workers who are always willing to test my products for me.

OK... I am breathing now... in then out ..... remembering the reason I am doing this. I love my soap, I love my soap, I love my soap.....

And what I really appreciate about this is what you said Robin, that I got away from commercially made products, and introduced others to something they had no idea about. Then they realized... no wonder they were itching all the time using commercially made products!

Coleen

As I learn I am sure things will get easier. I cannot imagine being at a fair that has 4 or 5 other soapmakers there! And I was worried about one? Are these other soapmakers nice to you, or is it cut throat? I had a small comic book store from 1995-2000 in a very small town in the summer months. I tried to make friends with the other shop owners but they were all so suspicious of one another.

Well I think you hit the nail on the head about suspicious people. Not everyone we've run into has been this way. Everyone checks each other out. Best to know your competition. There are some that will tear down another's product just because that's how they are and that's how they try to vault themselves to success. There are some that might lead you on and there are some that are just plain great. I think it's like that regardless of what the craft is or the business. I wouldn't worry about them, because it's what you do and what you make that will outline your success. Not them.

I would actually say that I think candle people are worse than soapers.

Staying true to myself is what I need to remember. Everything else will fall into place. It seemed like I had a very good plan in place, then the doubts started to seep in this past week. I will just get back on track and keep plugging away.

Thanks again to all who listened and offered advice and support. This is one amazing forum. How did you all get so smart? I feel so much better. :grin2:

Coleen

There will always be other candle/soap vendors at shows. I have never been to a show where I was the only one in these areas. Good promoters will limit the number in any category and it sometimes takes a few years and some shows to find these promoters. Here in town at the Courthouse after Thanksgiving last year there were 7 other candle makers besides me out of 25 vendors. But I was the only one selling. Have worked hard to have a nice product and at shows I'm always on my feet visiting with people. The others were sitting around looking board. Keep at it and look for ways to get your product out there. I'm in my third year here in OH and I finally have people coming to shows to buy my product. I do the local Farmers Market and am working on developing a base of customers here in town. Lots of info in the archives about marketing. Good luck and keep at it. HUGS

We all go through this.

You're going to be just fine. Keep your chin up. It will get better. Hold your head high when the competition is around, smile and look confident.

...and keep saying to yourself: ha, ha, my stuff is better than your stuff. lol

I think you're feeling better already.