I Am Soooo Tired...

of the inconsistency of soy wax! I have been using it for 6 years now, and almost every time I reorder wax, I have to retest my entire line since it burns soooo differently from batch to batch. :mad: Therefore, you seasoned paraffin, or paraffin blend users , I NEED YOUR HELP.

I know I will probably lose 20% of my customers to a candle that is NOT all soy, but I am tired of retesting and am willing to deal with the loss. As they say, "out with the old, in with the new". However, for the 80% that do not care whether it is soy wax, or not, and just want a great throwing, burning candle with little to no soot, I need wax suggestions! I prefer a preblend, but this is not written in stone.

I know I will have to test, test, test for myself! I also know I will get a ton of different opinions, and what works for them may not work for me, but PLEASE give me your expertise on this subject, and I promise I will test, test, test, and make up my own mind. I just need suggestions on the "better" waxes out there so I do not spend an arm and a leg trying to find "my" wax. My husband lost his job the beginning of the year, and to be honest, we cannot afford to test every wax out there, so any, and all help, will definately be appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone!

I quit trying to make 100% Soy candles just for the same reasons you mentioned and I was really tired of not getting a decent throw out of the stuff. So I switched over to a 70/30 blend from GL which I have not had any problems with at all, I have also been experimenting with KY 50/50 and 6006 and let me tell ya the headaches are a lot less now. BTW KY also makes a 70/30 which is less expensive then GL! HTH

I quit trying to make 100% Soy candles just for the same reasons you mentioned and I was really tired of not getting a decent throw out of the stuff. So I switched over to a 70/30 blend from GL which I have not had any problems with at all, I have also been experimenting with KY 50/50 and 6006 and let me tell ya the headaches are a lot less now. BTW KY also makes a 70/30 which is less expensive then GL! HTH

I am pretty familiar with KY's products. I bought a slab of Vickey's Perfect blend, and two weeks later she improved it. I am hearing good things about it; maybe I will give that one a try also.

I did order a couple slabs of 6006 to play around with. I wish I were not in such a bind. I have one case of "good" soy wax left for orders, and then I am up the proverbial creek.

Thanks for all your replys! Please keep them coming!

Hi Marsha,

I unfortunately don't have any good advice for you, except for what others have said, try a parasoy blend (and wick way down from soy) :)

I've not tried it, but I have heard good things about taylored concepts waxes also - they even have a 50/50 blend. Just to throw even another wax at you.

Good luck - if anyone can conquer this problem I know its you!

I'm no expert - only been making candles for a little over a year and a half now - but I use 6006 and zinc wicks. This combo is working great for me. :D

I've also used KY parasoy blend (not the perfect blend) and I loved that wax, but can't do the shipping out here to WA.

IGI 4627 for me too. I love my ooey, gooey, incredible scent throwing wax!! It took a good 4 months for me to learn to get along with it, and took hubby a little longer since he's the one who deals mostly with cutting it and handling it, but for every ounce of "messy" is a pound of FABULOUS!!

Hi Marsha,

I unfortunately don't have any good advice for you, except for what others have said, try a parasoy blend (and wick way down from soy) :)

I've not tried it, but I have heard good things about taylored concepts waxes also - they even have a 50/50 blend. Just to throw even another wax at you.

Good luck - if anyone can conquer this problem I know its you!

Hey Henry!

Thanks for jumping in here and answering my post! Hope all is well with you. As you can see, I am pretty much disgusted with the 100% soy wax, so I am moving on to other options. I will check out Taylored Concepts and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

I have used J-50 for years. Started with it, flirted with 6006, APOP, Soy, Soy blends, and always came back to the J-50. I tweak it a little now, but it's still basically J-50.

Anyway, I like the cold throw, the ease of using it, the hot throw, the clean burn, and the fact I can make deep vibrant colors.

Cold throw & colors sell candles, and clean burn & hot throw bring re-orders.

I get all 4 with J-50

Fredron

IGI 4627 for me too. I love my ooey, gooey, incredible scent throwing wax!! It took a good 4 months for me to learn to get along with it, and took hubby a little longer since he's the one who deals mostly with cutting it and handling it, but for every ounce of "messy" is a pound of FABULOUS!!

My first wax ever was/is 4627, and I love it. Single pour for smaller containers, and the scent throw is intense.

Plus its so easy to work with. To me, its the anti-messy wax. This stuff is like cleaning up pudding. And you can cut the wax blocks like carrots. Except from it being close to the consistency of vaseline, its great to work with. It melts fast, pours at any temp, and never needs to be scraped for cleanup.

I love the ooey gooey 4627 too! I hate hurricane wax. lol. Now THATS messy, especially without a heat gun.

I second you on this it is absloutely wonderful.