Check out my new website!

Absyrtus

I am still a wick newbie and will continue to test extensively. This is a decision each candle maker has to make. I only have a doz. scents I feel are saleable. I have a cabinet full of FOs that I am still testing under optimum and extreme conditions. One good burn does not make a saleable candle. Can't even count the number of failures I've documented. IMO we have to assume the customer will NOT read the use instructions and warning information. I didn't as a consumer before I started to learn about candle making so why would I assume my customers will. If you feel you candles are perfect then go for it. Only you know.

He couldve done like me and came here to learn and make a few friends pm a few pics and bang I knew in hours what was wrong and got "EXPERT" advice on what wicks to use for what jars and wax etc. Wasnt hard, neded help, asked, and recieved just like that better then paid support in fact.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I definately didnt mean to make this thread take a turn. I agree there was alot to fix on the website. It just seemed everyone was assuming alot of things which I didnt believe was fair. Such as that he hasnt tested anything, or that he hasnt done this that or the other thing. Yes testing is important, I just dont agree that it really has to be taken to the extremes of what some people make it seem. Yes he most likely needs to test more before marketing the candles. However, I always hear people saying they have made candles for 4 or 5 years, and still dont feel they have marketable products. I just feel if youve done it that long and havent gotten very far, maybe its not your cup of tea. I could have a bachelors degree in college by that time. I dont mean to be rude or sarcastic, its just that unless you go beyond the norm, and make specialty type candles, something fancy or that type of thing, the basic jar candle or votive or basic pillar isnt something that takes years to perfect, in my opinion. However since my opinion is not the same as most here, it will cause controversy. Anyway sorry to make this thread take a turn, wasnt my intention. And the point that he has just started and needs more time is true. I just feel people assume alot of things on here which isnt always fair. Guess my point took a turn in the wrong direction also.

Anyway, I have made candles for about 5 years, and I took a break for a while, and then I did switch wax, and so now I feel that I am kinda starting over because its a whole new type of wax. But I dont feel like I am a complete newbie that needs to test for years before having marketable products. It didnt sound like he had something difficult in front of him either because he has two styles of candles and only 7 EO's. I did miss that they are available in several different sizes however. And that makes for more testing. I guess I just do not see what others do about testing taking as long as most make it seem. It didnt take me even a year to market my paraffin candles. I didnt have a ton of scents, and only had cinnamon buns, jars and votives. However it didnt take long to test them, i guess because I had plenty of people to help me also. And I always got comments on the great quality of them.

So, to end this, I just was trying to mention that every situation is different, and people shouldnt be so quick to assume things. Some people dont document every single detail of there candle making on this site, so there may be alot we dont know.

Laura i do agree with most of what you said regarding testing in your last post. No it shouldn't take years, but if it does, it does. If that's what it takes for them to be comfortable with their product, then good for them for waiting. Like i said before, we are sending our product home for people to light on fire, thorough testing is essential. Not everyone waits, and yes, it does give handmade candles a bad name when someone has a bad experience. Even though you are starting with a new wax, it does make a difference that you worked with candles for 5 years before. You should know what exactly to look for and that would cut your testing time down drastically. But in the beginning when you first started, would you have been ready within weeks of making your first candle to send it home with a stranger who could very well ignore all proper burning instructions, and who could also be one of the many sue happy people out there? That's a worst case scenario, but one that must be considered. Hell i have customers that i feel i need to tell every time they buy a new candle how long it should be burned because they have no problem admitting to me that they burn them ALL DAY LONG.

I certainly wasn't ready to sell right away. I was making container candles with soy pillar wax and let's just say my method of measuring FO was unique. :cool2: Granted i didn't set out to sell them, i was doing it for fun, but i'm not a stupid person, either, lol. I just got excited and jumped right in and learned as i went along. (don't worry, i've made some progress, lol)

I personally don't believe that Absyrtus did his testing. For all the reasons mentioned already, plus he simply hasn't said that he has done it. All that he has said is that his candles are flawless except for occasional ugliness. That doesn't happen magically overnight, most people here know that all too well. Knowing the work that many here have put into our products, it is kind of insulting for someone to brush off the importance of testing.

However, I always hear people saying they have made candles for 4 or 5 years, and still dont feel they have marketable products.
Perhaps these people did not make candles very often, like maybe once a month. Someone who made them every day for 3 months (90 batches) would likely be more proficient that someone who made them monthly for 5 years (60 batches). So, it's not so much a matter of how long you've been making them but how many batches.

Perhaps these people did not make candles very often, like maybe once a month. Someone who made them every day for 3 months (90 batches) would likely be more proficient that someone who made them monthly for 5 years (60 batches). So, it's not so much a matter of how long you've been making them but how many batches.

VERY true!If they are not selling them, and have been making them for 5 years, they cant be cranking out bunches of candles a year or they would drown in them.Candles were a part time job\hobby for me for 19 years and full time for almost 10 years. In that 19 years I didnt make tons since I had no outlet for them or really even the time to make them but I always had melted wax in my dip tank in the basement ever day of the year just so i could play with it and perfect my products. Bruce

One good burn does not make a saleable candle.

That is so true, yet a lot of people don't seem to "get" that. Personally, I don't think testing can emphasized enough to a newbie, or even to a seasoned pro. You just can't deal with fire and flames so nonchalantly. :undecided