My own

I want to start making my own candles or tarts. I spend too much money for other people stuff and have to settle for what they have and not what I want. I just need to know where I can get all the supplies that I will need. All I have near me is grocery stores and a Super Walmart. Can I get the things I need there? Is there a site that will have a list of candle making items. I'll trying to show my husband that I can save a few $$ this way.

Thanks,

Hi and welcome! The best thing for you to do is to get a starter kit. Are you wanting to make containers or pillars or votives? The starter kit will come with everything you need, and then you can adjust from there, like trying different waxes and wicks and such. I would recommend going to www.peakcandle.com and buying one of there kits:cool2:

Oh honey, if you're looking to save money, maybe try carpooling. Honestly, this is a very expensive hobby to get into. I'd suggest you read through posts here and the business section, Read the Tips for Newbies pinned at the top and even the archived old forum. I stronly suspect you have no idea what you're getting in to :(

Oh, and Welcome to the board :)

Ducky is right, i was thinking the same thing you was about candles, then came on here and started learning, had no idea what i was getting in too. but it is fun if you want to do as a hobby or as a business's. just be ready to spent money to get supplies. i started out with a large coffee can on a rack in a pot for melting wax, on a stove. then for christmas kids got me others things, still need supplies over a year later.LOL! but if your Wallet is fatter than mine , you will be ok, and this is the place with people to help you, good luck and welcome.

Well, you won't save any money by making your own, but you'll have a ton of fun doing it! LOL! There are tons of suppliers out there with everything you need to get started. Try googling "candle supplies" and you will get tons of hits!

Here are some great suppliers to get you started:

www.naturesgardencandles.com

www.peakcandle.com

www.bittercreek.com

The addiction is what gets ya!!!! Just the different fragrances that you can use to scent your candles is an addiction in itself!!! :drool: One day you will start with 1 or 2, than it will double and before you know it, you have over 20 fragrances , or does that only happen to me:laugh2: !!

Peaks has some nice scents, if you get a starter kit from them they will also send a couple of scents to match your candle kit and as an added bonus a sample of another fragrance that you will more than likely fall in love with, :D !!

Well good luck and welcome to world of candlemaking!!!!

Ohh, I forgot to mention how strong of an addiction it will become :D

]

The addiction is what gets ya!!!! Just the different fragrances that you can use to scent your candles is an addiction in itself!!! :drool: One day you will start with 1 or 2, than it will double and before you know it, you have over 20 fragrances , or does that only happen to me:laugh2: !!

Only 20?? Dang! you have some good self control! :laugh2:

just wanted to say Welcome to the board ladybug... and I have to agree with everyone on here.. get a starter kit, and prepare for the addiction to kick in....lol... I started out with a few slabs, 10 FO's and a pack of wicks...... that didnt last long at all...... now I am up to offering almost 40 scents... and have branched out into pillars, ornies, air fresheners.... and the list goes on.... so again... welcome... :cheesy2:

I wouldn't go into this with the idea I am going to save money making my own candles! It's an expensive hobby ... but very fun and rewarding!!! BTW, I tried to convince my hubby that I was going to save money making my own greeting cards, too. I think I could have purchased the local Hallmark store for all the stamps, inks and papers I have purchased in the last year. ;)

OH! and don't make promise's to yourself... you can't keep them, swore to myself i wasn't going to buy but like 3 scents this next time i ordered some , i just got finished useing up all my old Fo's because i wasn't sure how old they were . but thanks to people on this board LOL! there were at least 3 from peaks i had to have like the amish harvest, so i ordered 5 scents from peaks and 4 from ky. yesterday:D i'm going be selling these in tarts and wickless so i can fill my piggy bank back up, and what fun i'm going to have.:bliss: :bliss:

The worst (best) part about this candle making addiction is this forum :D

No sooner do I think I've amassed enough FO's, and one of you goes and mentions another. Then I think I have just the right wax, and someone goes and posts a pic made with a wax I don't have, and in colors I don't have.... "sigh":rolleyes2

Now my DD (12) announced that she wants to start making B&B to sell to her friends at school!

All I can say is thank heavens my hubby also has expensive hobbies.....