Does this sound reasonable?

atropa

I've just been informed of a craft show/autumn festival in my area. The booth fee is $75 for two days and they expect between 7000-10000 to attend. They don't charge a door fee, so it's harder to keep track of. We are not in the best of finances right now, and I really need to get my products out there. Does this sound like a possibly good thing, or should I put this money towards bills? Also, they are only accepting handmade things, and she seemed to really be into the whole soap/bath stuff thing. I've never done a craft show before, so I just don't know.

That is crazy cheap and you should get in there!!

If they are expecting that many people, wow - how can they prove that? Is it a first year show? Are they advertising?

Find out all this information and call the head of the festival. Tell them your concerns and they should work with you. $35.00 a day for 10,000 people is a helluva deal and I would be on that like white on rice lol :D

I would go for it.I just did a show for $60.00(2 days) and made almost 6 times that and I had some of my candles marked down because I only use the one piece lid and wanted to sell the others.I could have well made almost $500.00 if not more.I want to do bar soap now.The lotion and the soap last year did not sell at shows but it did sell to my friends.They still want the antibacterial soap so must find that soap somewhere else.My supplier quit carrying it.Just prefer not to have those gallons shipped.Just like the jars.Expensive!!!

If this lady seemed to like the idea of bath and body products you make I bet you will do good.

Good luck if you do it and you must let us know how it goes.

LynnS

That is crazy cheap and you should get in there!!

Uh yep, I definitely agree!! I'd be all over that one, especially with the amount of people they expect to attend, and if it's an established show then you should jump on it. :)

Let us know what you decide, and if you need any help with setting up your display, you'll get good feedback here ya know! ;)

Guest EMercier

I would go. I did two shows last year one was Saturday and the other Sunday. Was low on funds as well, but got there and made lots of $$! It also helped with my bills. I'm going back to one this year. It was at a Jewish temple.

That's a whole lot of people. I think that if you are serious about your business you should give it a shot. Make sure to have some business cards and/or brochures. You may end up with sales after the show. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Well, I think you guys definately gave me a solid answer lol! Turns out it's the 24th year of this show, so it's well established. I commented to the lady about the good price and she said they like to showcase small businesses that are trying to start out and that's the whole reason they started the thing in the first place. So now I just have to figure out how much of everything to make. Any suggestions? By the way, here is my website:

http://www.persephonesgarden.biz

damn, sounds like a perfect show. that's pretty much everything i personally look for ~ great price, good attendance, and 24 years?? and only accepting handmade items is a HUGE plus, i love shows like that.

good luck:D

I would agree that the price is extremely reasonable. But... there are other expenses to consider. If you are going to do shows on a regular basis then I would say yes but if not the other expenses can be well - expensive. I am talking about the things that I did for my first show. Now, not all ppl would have done what I did but here are some of the things that I bought in prep for my first show.

Tent, tables, tableclothes, display racks (okay the cardboard risers), a cash box, signed up for Propay and got a manual credit card imprinter and slips, and I had a sign made for my company name. I really wanted to show that I was serious and in business. I am not saying that anything less does not show that you are serious but I wanted the first impression of my company to be a professional one. I am just saying that there are things to consider over the entrance fee. Go into the craft show posts on what to take and you will see what I mean. I looked at all of these things as an investment and I am not sorry that I purchased any of them. I did about 15 shows the first year, about 25 last year but this year I think that it will be 3. I have learned how to get the most bang for my buck. You will learn which shows will get you the most money and go from there. The 25 shows was crazy but I think well worth it in exposure if nothing else.

I hope that this comes accross in the way I want it to - I just want to let you know that the entrance fee is not the only expense.

How far away is this show, time wise? Will you have enough time to make up the stock and let it cure? I don't mean to be discouraging, but have you been making soap long enough? I noticed the post about not knowing about gelling or not gellling the soap, to be more precise. It's better to make sure everything is cured, tested and quality, then hurring to sell. JMO

You guys don't come across badly at all. That's why I ask people. I have several scents of soaps that have cured already, all have been tested by friends and family and I've gotten rave reviews. I was planning on doing some M&P anyway so tha'll give some variety too, and alot of people really like those. I have been testing everything on everyone that will try it for a while now and I think I'm ready. I want to give a great 1st impression though and I appreciate your honesty. The shows in about a month.

The Street Fair I am doing on Sunday is $100 booth fee, 11-5, Sunday only. I am pretty new to this so I don't know what to expect. I can tell you that we have several "Art in the Park" events in my town each year that cost close to a grand for 2 days. I pass on them. I always go. If I do see soap and candle vendors, I don't see them again. Just can't sell enough to justify the booth fee. There are lots of high ticket items, like paintings, that do very well.

Go for it!

e