Should I buy these jars--decorating ideas

I was just in Family Dollar and they had some jars (looked like maybe a 16 oz apothecary jar with no lids) marked down to 5 cents each! But, they said American Candle on the side. They looked exactly like these except a smaller size. http://www.american-candle.com/product.php?productid=97&cat=29&page=1

The writing is screen printed, so it doesn't look like it could be removed.

So, my handmade candles would look like commercial candles. Is there some sort of paint that could be used to cover it up that would withstand the heat of burning the candle?

It seems like a bargain, but then again do I want my candles to look like they came from this company, instead of my very own?

If you are going to use them for jar candles you will have to test the jars. If you are just buying them for yourself not being able to find them again probably wouldn't be a problem cause you could use something else.

If you are testing jars for jar candles to sell to customers its best to choose a jar you can buy again and again. Lots of candle suppliers have the standard apothecary jars if thats what you like.

I was just in Family Dollar and they had some jars (looked like maybe a 16 oz apothecary jar with no lids) marked down to 5 cents each! But, they said American Candle on the side. They looked exactly like these except a smaller size. http://www.american-candle.com/product.php?productid=97&cat=29&page=1

The writing is screen printed, so it doesn't look like it could be removed.

So, my handmade candles would look like commercial candles. Is there some sort of paint that could be used to cover it up that would withstand the heat of burning the candle?

It seems like a bargain, but then again do I want my candles to look like they came from this company, instead of my very own?

As a customer, I would assume they came from the American Candle company and not from you. Trying to find them down the road will be difficult if not impossible. Honestly, I wouldn't use them to sell. A bargan is only a bargan if you can use it. They would be great for your personal testing though.

I agree with Late Night. As a customer I would think of American Candle Company instead of your company. Plus I would think it would be difficult to cover up their name and still keep a professional look to your product. If it is a close out or discount store you might not be able to get those again. However, at that low price you could always buy some and see if you can cover up their name. If not, then you didn't invest that much money into the project. I'm just not that crafty so I know it wouldn't look professional if I tried it.

Thanks for the responses. I may go see if they are still there. I don't really plan on selling candles any time soon, but I don't know if I want to have someone else's logo on my candles. I may pick up some paints and experiment with it. I could just use black and fill in the writing so it would just have a black line around it.

I could probably find a similar jar down the road if I decide I like the style.

Grubby jars? Off to search!

BTW.........Acetone isn't touching it. I may try some stripper.

I bought all that was on the shelf (35) and then the manager came out and said she has another 200 in the back. So, 200 jars would be $10. If I can make these work somehow that's the deal of the century!!

What about a heat gun. They are made for removing paint aren't they? I know there is heat when you burn a candle but not nearly as much as a heat gun. I would wear some good gloves though, just in case!

What about a heat gun. They are made for removing paint aren't they? I know there is heat when you burn a candle but not nearly as much as a heat gun. I would wear some good gloves though, just in case!

I just mentioned a heat gun to DH and he said...."Oh.....I could use one of those!" So sounds like he wouldn't object to my spending money on that. :bliss:

I'm going to mess with it some more this weekend. I'll get aggresive with the heat gun and see how that does. I just don't want to screw with the integrity of the glass so I don't think that is going to be the right option. I'm going to try some strippers and paint removers. I'd love to buy the rest of these jars if I can find an easy way to remove the stripes.

Actually, I kinda like the stripes, so I'm going to also try some glossy paint to cover the wording. I've used some acrylics that I had on hand, but it has a matte finish and the stripe is glossy. Sharpie works pretty good, but you can still see the impression where it says American Candle. They look really good from a distance, but if anyone looks at them up close they will be able to see it. I'm not going to give up on them yet, though.

Here are my first candles!!

Left to right:

Fresh Orange Slices, Sparkling Green Tea Garden, Lucious Cheesecake, Fudge Browne, Forbidden Pomegranate, and Fuzzy Navel

candles001.jpg

Knowing the jar gets hot when lit.... this may be a totally dumb idea, but I will throw it out there anyways...

If it were me and I really wanted to cover those stripes I would tack on some ribbon strips. Surely they make a heat resistant glue for decorating candle jars?:confused:

Knowing the jar gets hot when lit.... this may be a totally dumb idea, but I will throw it out there anyways...

If it were me and I really wanted to cover those stripes I would tack on some ribbon strips. Surely they make a heat resistant glue for decorating candle jars?:confused:

They make glue gun sticks that can withstand temps up to 165 degrees or that is what mine says. I use them in my candles. The ribbons to cover it up could actually be a cute idea and make the candles have some "pizazz". I am going to have to play with that idea a little myself now that you mention it :)

Grubby jars? Off to search!

I bought all that was on the shelf (35) and then the manager came out and said she has another 200 in the back. So, 200 jars would be $10. If I can make these work somehow that's the deal of the century!!

I would buy all they had. I personally never heard of the American Candle co. Make them red, white and blue layered or Apple Pie, Shining Sea, Purple Mt, Stars & Stripe, Yankee Doodle Dandy. Make a label with red, white and blue. Make America part of the scent name. They don't have to be regular stock just special for the 4th of July, Labor Day. I wouldn't try to get it off and it's just too cheap to pass up. I'm calling my Family Dollar tomorrow. Thanks

JMHO