Looking for a great throwing Pina Colada

Holly

I have been looking for the right Pina Colada for almost 3 years now. I poured JS's several days ago, and I really love the way it smells but I don't think it is quite strong enough. I may get a second opinion on it. I just (tonight) poured Alabaster's (had it in my stash for a while -- was not crazy about it OOB and not sure about it in wax either), JS's Tahitian Daquiri (which smells like Pina Colada OOB but not real crazy about the smell in wax -- will see), Aroma Haven's Pina Colada (may be nice - can't tell yet for sure), and Candle Soylution's Tropical Colada. I tried the Tropical Colada in my soy well over a year ago and it was not quite strong enough for me. It smelled nice though. I poured all 4 of these in the 70/30. I think I like the smell of JS's Pina Colada the most out of all of these....but did not pass my scent throw test in my wax.

Does anyone know of a great throwing Pina Colada that smells like the real thing? I use to LOVE Gold Canyon's Pina Colada, and I remember it having a great scent throw. Thanks for any input.

I use Lone Star's Pina Colada Paradise. It is excellent. Carole

Thanks Bug! :) I will give it a try. I have not ordered from them in a while. I need to place an order for some other samples as well.

Coconut in FO's smell like soap or crayons to me and not coconut but I use BCN's pina colada and people love it.

When I can find a coconut FO that smells like coconut, I am going to mix it with my own pineapple rather than buy someone else's blend.

jakalex ... very interested in your review of CS's Pineapple & Coconut. Please be sure to let us know how it throws for you. I've been looking at that one all week.

I am pouring it this weekend so will update early next week!

I have been looking for the right Pina Colada

Holly -

The Caribbean Coconut at soapsupplies.net is outstanding in soy wax. WSP's is also great. Both smell more like virgin pina colodas than any that I've tried actually named PC. They're sweeter and more like what I think of pina coloda - opening a frozen concentrate of Bicardi's.

HTH

Thanks everyone for the great responses. :) This really gives me some other ideas of what to try. I test burned two others but I may have a case of candlenose. I just gave 4 of them to a friend to test -- two of them I have not even burned yet. I will post a review when I get them back and I am able to test those other ones I have not tested yet.

Coconut in FO's smell like soap or crayons to me and not coconut but I use BCN's pina colada and people love it.

When I can find a coconut FO that smells like coconut, I am going to mix it with my own pineapple rather than buy someone else's blend.

Hi Jami,

I think this is the same problem I am having....exactly! I use to be able to smell the coconut in fragrances before but lately it smells like crayons to me too. I have not had too much trouble with the Pina Coladas on this -- just slightly. The straight coconuts I have tested smell like waxy crayons to me and also one of my all time fragrance oils.....Da Lime In Da Coconut from Aroma Haven (same as JBN's Coconut Lime Verbena). I use too LOVE this fragrance, and I could smell both the lime and the coconut. But, now, it smells mostly like waxy crayons to me. As if certain notes are missing. This is such a bummer. Thanks for your response. :)

Holly -

The Caribbean Coconut at soapsupplies.net is outstanding in soy wax. WSP's is also great. Both smell more like virgin pina colodas than any that I've tried actually named PC. They're sweeter and more like what I think of pina coloda - opening a frozen concentrate of Bicardi's.

HTH

Thanks Bette. :) I too like the sweeter ones. Is the fragrance suppose to smell like virgin Pina Coladas? I never really think about the booze part. I forget what kind of booze is in it. I don't drink and it has been a long time since I served them when I was a food server back in my college days. However, when I smell the right one it triggers a memory of the smell. I really love the smell. I think I also compare it to the GC PC candle that I loved so much.

Thanks Bette. :) I too like the sweeter ones. Is the fragrance suppose to smell like virgin Pina Coladas? .

They don't describe it as such - just what it smells like to me. SS's is incredibly sweet but fruity, not bakery. It's my clan's favorite of the coconut types around here and I've gone on quite a coconut quest over the years. This scent reminds me of BBW's coco cabana but I don't pick up on the strawberry. I just think of pina coladas when I whiff these.

• 2 weeks later...
jakalex ... very interested in your review of CS's Pineapple & Coconut. Please be sure to let us know how it throws for you. I've been looking at that one all week.

Coconut here-just warmed up a wickless candle of CS's Pineapple & Coconut. DH and I both love it and it throws well in 4630 Harmony Blend. Delicious. :drool:

Have you tried Caribbean from NG, I love it but do add a little Caribbean Coconut from WSP for a bit more coconut. Also love Coconut Cake from AWE for a true coconut. If you want a sniffy of either I can send them.

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the response. No, I haven't tried the Caribbean from NG...at least I don't think I have. If I have it would have been a long time ago.

Anyway, I am waiting on some reviews (from testers) on a few Pina Coladas that I poured. I have a couple more to pour. If none of these work out, I will take you up on the sniffy offer. Thanks so much! I appreciate that. I will post my reviews as soon as I know. :)

~Holly

Update:

My friend/tester emailed me results for several Pina Coladas. These are the ones she tested:

JS-Pina Colada, 9%

JS-Tahitian Diaquiri (which to me is very similiar to Pina Colada), 9%

AH-Pina Colada, 9%

Alabaster-Pina Colada, 9%

all in 70/30 blend.

Her favorite is JS-Tahitian Diaquiri! She said, "I need this one!!!!!" I can't remember now if I tested it before I gave it to her, but I know that I liked the smell of it.

Her second favorite is JS-Pina Colada

So, it looks like JS is the winner with these!

She gave both of these a 5 in a ratio from 1-5. They were not a 5 to me in scent throw, but she will usually rate it really high if she likes it and it has a real good throw. So, I usually end up bumping the score down a notch. I have explained to her a couple of times how the rating chart works, but the numbers still seem higher than what I would rate them. A 5 to me is a knock your socks off strong. You can smell it up the stairs, right when you come in the house, and sometimes outside the door, and to the point of possibly wanting to open a window. It is a "WOW"! To me the throw was between a 3-4 with the Pina Colada one, and I am not sure yet on the Diaquiri. I like to have a strong 4 for most and of course am happy with true 5's too. At least I know that the scent was very pleasing and the scent throw was obviously good.

She gave Aroma Haven's Pina Colada a 5 too, but she liked the JS ones better.

She gave Alabaster's a 4 and said the throw was not as strong. This one will probably be between a 2-3 to me. I would not want any of these to be lighter than what I tested witht the JS one.

I have not yet tested Aroma Haven's, so I will see.

I have another one that I just lit. I forgot I had a sample of Majestic Mountain Sage's Pina Smoothie, so I poured it yesterday. To me it smells like it may be the same as Gold Canyon's! I will see how this one goes. :)