shipping in summer

Also curious on this. This is our first summer shipping.

So far everything has made it fine shipping out only on Monday and Tuesday for farther zones and no later than Wednesday in the same zone.

As it gets warmer I'm not sure how things will go.

These are supposed to be really good from what I here, and they seem to have fair prices. I asked about this a while ago and someone directed me towards them they have 2 different styles and even their shipping supplies seem fairly priced. Hope this helps....

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_2158.asp?searchedkeywords=ice%20block

That's a good question! I haven't read much about dry ice, is it expensive? Would that be more costly to ship because it's then hazardous materials?

I think it depends on the quantity of dry ice used in the shipment. It DOES need to be marked, because if it leaks, it could burn anyone who touched it. So PLEASE look into the regulations on this if you choose this as an option.

I saw that someone just listed Uline's cold packs. They might be a little more expensive, but from everything I've heard about them, they are top quality, and completely legal to ship (considering that's what they're made for).

I ship in the summer, and have for years without issues. I'm in Canada though....:rolleyes2 But I will not ship on a Thursday of Friday. We ship out orders every day (we are 90% wholesale) and I just don't want to take the chance of product in some hat warehouse or truck over the weekend. I ship UPS or Canpar, so usually product is only in transit 1-2 days as well.

Oh, I didn't think about the burning aspect for leakage. :( It would be my luck it's be mine, and something was wrong with it and I get sued.

Those Uline packs are pretty cool, but is there a danger in candle wax getting too cold with that? Mostly container waxes?

I havent used them yet, I plan on placing my order once I build up some funds, but I asked a similar question and was told that it doesnt freeze them. What it does is keep it cold enough in the box so it wont melt be never below freezing points. To protect the glass it is recommended to wrap in bubble wrap first then place in a box with one of the packs. I also asked about how long they stay cold for and apparently they stay cold for about 2-3 days (Im sure this depends on the temp) I hope this helps. I do apologize for lack of info but this is what I was told :smiley2:

we've been testing the uline cold packs with our body butter, freezing them first, and wrapping them in the foil bubble wrap that they also sell...they don't stay cold for two days and that's in 70 degree temps... uline said they don't know how long they stay cold. We've wrapped in packing peanuts, bubble wrap, and paper outside the foil wrap, no difference. When the packs thaw out, they also get the labels soggy. I don't know what the answer is, but it's not even HOT yet, so will keep trying!

HTH

Ah, thanks Mexitan! Never crossed my mind on the labeling getting soggified.

This may be a silly question, but with the USPS, if you marked 'this side up', do they usually stay that way? That way I could package it top to bottom and if it does get a bit melted, then at least they are right side up?

I worked at Pier 1 in college and they just box their candles and ship them on the box truck with everything else. Nothing was ever melted. No special packaging or anything. That was in Texas in the summers even. Just small cardboard boxes with candles.

lol, Mexitan!

Aubs, thanks for the info, but my wax is quite a bit softer to begin with than what you find in stores. It's the IGI 4630 I believe, so it's crisco-ish, and I'm thinking at around 120 degrees is when it starts to become a bit gushy and 130 would definitely have a bit of leakage. I know the insides of FedEx trucks in the back can get as hot as 140 to 150, and heck, 150 is what I pour at!

A MP of 120--in the back of a UPS truck that was loaded at 6 am and delivered around 6pm in Arizona--on day when it was in the high 90's resulted in a box that was round (the corners all around were gone) and I had 55 lb bags of goo. Astorlite is packaged in plastic so it didn't leak, it wasn't completely liquified, but it was the consistency of lotion. It was very gross and very hard for my poor UPS guy to carry. He asked if I could stock up in the fall, spring or winter, anytime but the summer.

Sadly for him, I ran out last week and will have another delivery next week--so it will be bags of goo again. If it is hot enough to melt 55 lb boxes, I imagine it will melt it in jars as well.

Here is an idea, although I live in Michigan but I've shipped to California and Tennessee and haven't had any problems with this. Go to any of your local veterinarians or perhaps doctors. When they get medicines in their office that have to be refrigerated they come in a styrofoam cooler that is inside of a cardboard box. They end up throwing these away in my area, so I just take them and use them for that. I do know that the boxes I can get aren't extremely big, but so far I've never had a problem with anything melting. HTH.

Shelley

We are in middle GA. We ship all year long - even in the summer months. We just remember to ship at the beginning of the week so nothing sits on trucks over the weekend. We haven't had any problems with melted candles...even when we ship to CA. We use a Soy wax blend.

HTH,

Chele

I ship by UPS and I always ship on Mondays so that the box isn't sitting somewhere over the weekend. I use bubble wrap and lots of peanuts. I have never had a problem with my candles melting. I have another shipment ready for Arizona - knock on wood that it gets there okay. :)

Yes it's a soft wax. I think our melting point is around 123. I actually have more trouble shipping candles when it's cold. The cold makes the candles shrink and harden... and we have more problens with broken glass.

HTH

Chele