Lemongrass candle

Finally found my buckets for the bug-less candles. Problem is didn't want to go over 16 ounces but this bucket is a whopping 32 ounces. Lotta candle. Just the cost will have to be more but if it keeps bugs away well worth it IMO.

Did 2 medium wicks and now decided 2 large. Low flame and also with tin you would think the bucket would be hot. Not at all. Decided the flame should be a little bigger. Not just to scent but to make sure it will keep the bugs away. Will be covering a wide area outdoors.

Most of the time I cannot smell lemon scents but this is good. It is a knock out. Like someone on the Board said,she added some Tangerine to lemongrass and it was great. Trying that too. Lemongrass with a little zing.

Most of the buckets I've seen were not filled to the top. I'm sure to protect the wick and make them a little safer. Doesn't help with wicking but, will help you save some money on wax. If you leave maybe an inch and a half, or two inches, the flame will be protected from wind. Good luck with that!!

I agree knock'em dead or knock'em away. Problem is I cannot test that yet. Since I made it the weather turned cold and bugs won't come out. I'm am waiting for some nice evening.

Now to sell them for a whopper price???? :rolleyes2

LynnS

You are right wilsonswax. I don't see them to the top. I Just thought might be cheap like the dollar store candles. If I don't fill to the top might have enough for a FP votive or a 4 oounce candle. Will see what I come up with. Tarts too.

Right on. Wind will keep them from burning.

You know even in the stores these are not cheap. The Citronella. Almost $3.00 or more for 5 ounces. Mine are 6 times bigger.

LynnS

quote=TxSioux;467333]I've always used just regular old buckets from Home Depot or Lowe's. IMO, they look better over time w/ all the soot that gathers. The nice painted ones really start looking nasty fast. While you're there pick up the refill wicks for Citronella torches. I unwind those for a single strand -- they're just untreated cotton. I wind those tightly around a wick & dip it in wax, so it won't unravel. That makes the best smoking wick for an outdoor bug candle that I've ever found. I see lots of people using regular wicks, but those won't smoke & make a huge flame, which is what you need.

Susan.

This is from another post about bug candles. Just thought it was such a good ideal for wicks.

Lemongrass does repel bugs... you can mix it with eucalyptus as well for even more bug-be-gone power. (of course I'm not sure what it'll do for your nostrils!) Even works as a skin-safe bug repellant (instead of DEET, for those who don't like that) except there is no protection against ticks.

I use lemongrass because I can't stand the smell of citronella. The lemongrass works keeping the pesky bugs away. We take the candles camping every summer and haven't got bitten yet. I have even made pinecone firestarters with lemongrass to add to the fire.

I have been reading about using Lemongrass to keep the bugs away. We are a family of campers and love the idea of the pine cone firestarters. Could you please tell me how you do it HeavenScentU? Do you use wax or just the fo on the pine cones? Would appreciate any help. Thanks

• 2 years later...

We have talked about this today. I found a old post of mine. Now I have the 16 ounce tins I can use . Will use those for a bug repellent candle. Lemongrass does work alone but also mix with Eucalyptus. Now reading about firestarters.Would be great in the fall when people have a fire in the evening or campers who camp in Sept/ Oct when the evening get cooler.

It is all coming back to me now!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

LynnS

Hi,

I let people make beeswax candles at a Museum, we are outside in a field. Bees are attracted to the melted beeswax. I put a top on my wax melter. I know smoke deters bees although I was wondering if a fragrance would deter bees. I'd like to try Lemmongrass.