how crazy does this sound

I'm having a heck of a time to get my pillars standing straight. I've tried heating a cookie sheet, even went and bought a new level to try and get 'em standing tall. Here's one for ya. What's the chances of cutting them on the table saw??????

Guest ShellyRobyn

I always look at the bottoms of pillars in stores to see how they are leveled. I'm pretty sure that most are cut. Not sure what type of saw but it would be interesting to know. :tongue2:

Tucker,

I use a miter saw with a 160 tooth blade...the blade cost me a pretty penny. My husband and I had an extra miter saw around so we used it because I don't think I would be able to cut anything else and not get it coated in wax. When we cut the candles we cover everything in the shop because you do end up with wax dust everywhere and it can be a bit sticky. Also we taped up the whole thing so that the candles are a bit protected from scratches, dings and other things. I would not cut them on a table saw unless you build a really good jig and don't want to use it to cut wood again.

I'm having a heck of a time to get my pillars standing straight. I've tried heating a cookie sheet, even went and bought a new level to try and get 'em standing tall.

Tucker, a few Q's for you.

Have you tried clipping the wick shorter than the level of the pillar mold before the final pour? This eliminates the bump from the wick.

Do you use the level before the final pour to ensure that it's level?

Have you tried leveling in the presto, set on warm, BEFORE unmolding?

All these things work for me.

e

I don't usually have much problem with the bottoms being level since I often zap them with the heat gun before I unmold and my molds are level :P

However, on hte occasion I do, I leave the candle in the mold (well, remove wick pin and replace in mold) and turn it upside down on an electric skillet. I've tried the cookie sheet and mine always seem to be warped...LOL

Here's another idea that seemed interesting, I saved the link in case I needed it someday...

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1105871662;start=0#0

Hey Satin, you get first prize. What a fantastic idea you passed along. I'm off tomorrow to find me a piece of angle iron. Only one thing worries me now, I gotta level the damn heavy electric stove (I think)

Thanks to all that have responded to my plea.