Business Name suggestions

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group, (thanks to Lindsay from Soapers Workshop.)

Anyhow, I would like some help finding a business name. I just have no imagination with naming my business at all. I just started selling my soaps and B&B products (after 3 yrs as a hobby). So far I have been using my other business name (Show Offs by Shannon, I custom design and make horse show clothing), but I would like a different one for my soaps, B&B items.

Since most of my customers are in a higher tax bracket, and my daughter works in a high end spa, I would love a name that reflects that.

I live near the Snohomish River, but that does not have to be in the name.

I would really appreciate any ideas you have to offer.

Thank you very much in advance,

Shannon Barr

I don't know if anyone here is a Gene Simmons fan... and I'm not, really, but for some reason I was watching his show "Family Jewels." His son is in a band, and they were trying to find a name for the band. Gene's advice was: "break it down into it's simplest form. That's your name." Now, as controversial as he is, he is one thing... an excellent business man. A friend of mine who is in marketing gave me this advice: make it simple. You don't want someone saying "it was something creek or river or lake candles" or trying to spell a hard-to-spell name to find your website. I asked my boyfriend to spell 'essential' He said e-s-s-e-n-t-u-a-l. I asked him to spell wax. He got that one. And, this is one of the smartest, most educated people I know. My point is, not everyone is a good speller.Having said that....my suggestion is to close your eyes and think what defines elegance to you.... what defines the feeling you want people to have when using your products... and there's your business name....

Hi Shannon, and Welcome! Sounds like you are in a great position with existing clientele and and an upscale spa to sell your B&B products in! (personally I would love to have that set up to start my biz with-- I am not launched yet, but so ready to get there!)

I think you are more creative with naming a biz than you think-- how cool sounding is Show Offs by Shannon? I think it fits perfectly with the show clothing for horses and the aliteration and incorporating your name!

Would in having "Shannon" in the name of the new business bring biz over from your "Show Offs..." success? Just some thoughts...

Again, welcome!

I like single word names for a more upscale sound...

Rivers (you can always add Bath & Body to it)

Shays

Waters

The Oaks

Sleeping Waters Soaps (looked up the history of snohomish county and it said some indians said snohomish means sleeping waters)

That's just a few ideas going off the area you are in....hth!

Edited to add: I just realized your last name is Barr...how about The Soap Barr or Barr of Soap!

Hi Shannon! I'm so glad you jumped over here! Everyone on this forum is wonderful, and they love to help!

(to everyone else) I've had the joy of getting to know Shannon over the last couple months. We talk on the phone about once a week (which I just love!), and I have to tell you, she is a wonderful marketer without even trying! She'll have a lot of great advice for this group!

Shannon, I really like the "Sleeping Waters Soaps". I know you don't necessarily want soaps in the name, worrying that it will limit your line. It's up to you to decide. I have it in my retail name, and I've never felt it limiting at all. It might explain why we sell more soaps than anything else though! LOL!

I also like it just as "Sleeping Waters". You can always add Bath & Body, or Bath & Beauty to another part of your logo/label to help clarify. Remind me to send you a copy of the new logo design we had done where we added something like this.

So Sleeping Waters has my vote! Most people also wouldn't misspell it!

I like Sleeping Waters too! :yay: The river name would most likely be mispronounced but the meaning behind it is wonderful and easy to spell too! Plus, aren't most spas all about lounging around and alot of hydrotherapy? (I don't know--maybe someday I will actually get to go to one!! :rolleyes2 LOL )

Hi Shannon, and Welcome! Sounds like you are in a great position with existing clientele and and an upscale spa to sell your B&B products in! (personally I would love to have that set up to start my biz with-- I am not launched yet, but so ready to get there!)

I think you are more creative with naming a biz than you think-- how cool sounding is Show Offs by Shannon? I think it fits perfectly with the show clothing for horses and the aliteration and incorporating your name!

Would in having "Shannon" in the name of the new business bring biz over from your "Show Offs..." success? Just some thoughts...

Again, welcome!

I agree. Show Offs by Shannon is very catchy, easy to remember, easy to spell and people already know that name.

Wow... Sleeping Waters... it's calming, soothing... yet, it also gives me shot of mystery, reminds me of 'still waters run deep.' I think the name is perfect. It's elegant, mysterious and steeped in the history of your environment. I love it!!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great suggestions!

So Soy, I love both of your names, The Soap Barr, and Sleeping Waters. With The Soap Barr, positives are: it is cute, simple, and easy to remember. Negitives; someone already has the domain name The Soap Bar, so will my clients remember to add the second "r" or will they go to the wrong site, and is the name too limiting, and does it reflect a high end product?

With Sleeping Waters, it is indeed very calming, and relaxing. It also does reflect my geographical area, but very few people would know that Snohomish means Sleeping Waters, including myself. I could as Lindsay suggested and use Sleeping Waters as my business name, and use a tag line in my logo like "a spa experience", or "a bath and body company" ect. Also, it is not limiting so that if I wanted to later add candles all I would have to do is change the tag line, but not the name.

Also, I would like to apologize for taking so long to thank you for your ideas. Yesterday, I had the best day with my daughter. I really miss her. She moved out 2 months ago, so I have been only seeing her about twice a week. We are so much alike in many ways, and like the same things. We used to sit for at least an hour each day and just talk about life.

Anyhow yesterday she took me to our favorite Sushi place (Todais), then we hit a couple farmers markets and a craft show on the way home. And of course we had some time afterwords to have our talk.

So I hope that you all are having a great Mothers Day,

Shannon

With Sleeping Waters, it is indeed very calming, and relaxing. It also does reflect my geographical area, but very few people would know that Snohomish means Sleeping Waters, including myself.

Shannon

This would be a perfect little blurb to work into either a home page or an About Us page. I think it's a great name, lots of possibilities, upscale, and still includes a little bit of history that is unique to you. From our phone conversations, it sounds like this is exactly what you were looking for.

However, it has to feel RIGHT to you, or you'll never be able to truly embody it, brand it, and help it grow.

I'm so glad you had a great Mother's Day. I had my six year old son saying "Happy Mother's Day" about once an hour. Of course when we all went to my mom's that evening, he said it to my SIL when they got there. Found out my son said it to her before her husband (my bozo brother!). LOL!

So to anyone that reads this, Happy Mother's Day a little late!

With Sleeping Waters, it is indeed very calming, and relaxing. It also does reflect my geographical area, but very few people would know that Snohomish means Sleeping Waters, including myself.

I agree with Lindsay on this one -- I like having a business name that you have to explain. :grin2: Another vote for Sleeping Waters.

I would like to thank everyone for their time helping me come up with a name for my new business. I especially want to thank So-Soy for coming up with the name. So here is it.............Sleeping Waters. The more I think of the name, the more I love it. I live in Snohomish County, Washington, near the Snohomish River. There once was a tribe of Snohomish Indians here, and the name Snohomish means Sleeping Waters. I am also very proud to be 1/4 Native American Indian (Cherokee & Creek), and I love the area I live in. So the name is just perfect.

It also has given me many ideas to focus on such as having more earthy, watery scents, and local fruits, and floral scents. Then again, I am so addicted to tropical flowery scents, but at least it is a guideline.

Thanks again,

Shannon