need advice from experienced soapers

cowgirl

I am going to take the plunge and dive into CP soap

I need advice from all you experienced soapers. Which oils & butters do you recommend that I purchase (THE MUST HAVES).

are these the most commonly used ??? i see these the most in the recipes i have found

cocoa

coconut

OO

palm & palm kernel oil

castor

apricot kernel oil (have seen this mentioned in threads several times)

TIA

Annettra

IMO- you will find what oils you like the best through trial and error. It is a personal preference.

I really like coconut oil in my soaps.... coconut is what causes lather. I do not like to really work the bar to get bubbles. Most people use 15% or less because too much coconut oil can feel more drying compared to other oils.

If you do not want to invest a lot when first starting out you can usually find some great oils at the grocery store for your first few batches... i.e. coconut oil, soybean oil (Crisco), olive oil, castor oil, to name a few.

Have fun!

Jen

The reason I asked that question is because of the co-ops that are going on right now. figured it was a good time. I have already stocked up on a couple of the grocery store oils.

IMO- must haves for me:

Palm oil

coconut oil

castor oil (I use for shampoo bars)

olive oil

I have done a lot of price comparisons and Brambleberry normally has the best prices if you are not purchasing 50# of more at a time.

I always like to have these oils/fats on hand:

Olive oil

Coconut Oil

Palm Kernel Oil

Castor Oil

Tallow

Lard

Cocoa Butter

Babassu Oil

Rice Bran Oil

I don't use all of them in every batch, but they are all a vital part of my 3 main base recipes.

MarieJeanette

This is definately a preference thing. I like:

Olive Oil

Coconut Oil

Palm Kernel Oil

Castor Oil

Babassu Oil

Rice Bran Oil

Palm Oil (I use this in place of lard)

As well as small amounts of mango or shea butter. A few bars have emu oil too.

go to soapcalc.com and play around with the numbers. You need to get familiar with the properities the oils/fats bring to the soap to determine what it is you are looking for in your "ideal" bar. Everyone is looking for various different qualities and you may prefer creamy bubbles to big bursting bubbles, for example.

There's a lot of homework involved before you dive into that first batch~read up and get a good base knowledge, then you can start oil shopping. I'm still a newbie (learned last summer) learning something new every day when it comes to soapmaking, that's for sure.

Thanks everyone for responding, I have been playing with the soapcalc. I have a couple books. i went to a friends house and we made soap and of course i have the itch to get some oils now. I have a couple recipes I want to try but just thought I would get a general idea of what everyone else uses.

i took recipes and put them in the soapcalc and everything turned out the same as what the recipe online or in the book did except the water was always off for some reason but that i will figure out when i decide what oils to get or should i say what recipe i finally decide on. There is a lot to remember on the properties of the oils, thats for sure.

Oh the water differences are not surprising. I started at about a 29% lye concentration and worked my way up and now typically do about 33%. But start with the easy (lower) concentrations first!

And as you continue to obsess over soaps you will find the oils properties become second nature.

But finally I will tell you that while soapcalc is a good general guide, it's not always spot on, so if it sounds interesting - try it!