Making your own molds

MommaD

Are there any of you that make your own silicone or Urethane molds? Is it easy to do? There are things that I would like to have molds of, things I would like to make myself, but not sure if I need a chemistry degree to do something like this LOL!!!

What do you recommend?

Smooth On is the leader in mold making supplies to the movie industry. They have kits and DVD's to help you.

I took a Smooth-On molding making class about 3 years ago in Dallas. We learned alot but did not get to do any hands on. I think these new DVD's are great for a begginer.

It is a sorta simple process to make molds but just like candle making takes a lot of practice and it can be even more expensive than making candles.

I've made a few molds using the Smooth-On OOMOO 30. It was really quite easy. The kit contains 2 bottles of liquid rubber, you mix equal parts of A and B (the bottles are labeled this way), stir to mix the parts thoroughly and pour. While my molds aren't very pretty, they serve their purpose! I ordered my kit through www.misterart.com and it was $24.00. I think I made 4 3.5 x 3.75 sized molds with a little to spare.

I agree with the rest, it is easy to do. Just think it through when you make a pour. Have everything ready, and you might have to secure your mold to the holder you're using, it might float up on you, not good. You don't want to waste any silicone, so have something extra to pour in case you have extra, cause once it's mixed, it has to be used, no saving it. Smooth On sell trial kits.

What do you use to pour your liquid into? I'm picturing in my mind that you pour your liquid into something and then place your item to be "molded" into the liquid to set. Am I even close on my thinking? Or do you place your items to be molded into a container and pour your liquid over those items? Is there anything particular that you CAN'T pour into? I ordered the kit and have no clue as to what to prepare for. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Portia