Yikes! If black ...

Scented

If black is the inclusion of all colors, and I must be blind not being able to find it on the Select Shade chart, then why does equal parts of each color look seaweed green? Has anyone made a black with this type of coloring?

yea, that almost makes sense, but other things contribute to the color - you have base color to contend with.

but thinking waaaaaay back to when I was a kid, if I mixed all my paints together (as I was wont to do, being quite contrary) I ended up with shit brown.

I don't have any experience with select shades, but here's a wacky little story for ya.......

I work in a place where we have a Slush Puppie machine. If you're not familiar with a slush puppie, it's basically like a mister-misty from dairy queen. If you have no idea what a mister-misty is, you really need to get out more and drive on down and order one.

Ok, back to the story. The girls and I used to play around and see what different slush puppies we could come up with. Sounds like tons of fun, right? Well....my concoction was called a "Black Betty" Of course I had to sing the song from the 70's. Bam-a lam, ohhhhhhblack betty. This confirmed just how nuts I really was. Anyway, the colors I mixed to get the black slushie were, (RED) cherry, (BLUE) blue raspberry, and (GREEN) lemon lime.

Give it a whirl, little girl!

Feel free to sing the song while you mix. No one will hear ya. Go ahead on.:tongue2:

I don't have any experience with select shades, but here's a wacky little story for ya.......

I work in a place where we have a Slush Puppie machine. If you're not familiar with a slush puppie, it's basically like a mister-misty from dairy queen. If you have no idea what a mister-misty is, you really need to get out more and drive on down and order one.

Ok, back to the story. The girls and I used to play around and see what different slush puppies we could come up with. Sounds like tons of fun, right? Well....my concoction was called a "Black Betty" Of course I had to sing the song from the 70's. Bam-a lam, ohhhhhhblack betty. This confirmed just how nuts I really was. Anyway, the colors I mixed to get the black slushie were, (RED) cherry, (BLUE) blue raspberry, and (GREEN) lemon lime.

Give it a whirl, little girl!

Feel free to sing the song while you mix. No one will hear ya. Go ahead on.:tongue2:

Out West it's called a Slushy but I get the idea.

I HATE SS :lipsrseal !! I sold mine a couple of months ago and don't regret it at all!

OK why? Although I can see that getting a light purple isn't possible with the color I picked and black isn't a feature and neither is a dark purple or a dark green that went brown. hmmm ...

I ruined a few batches w/ color morphing. Plus the same things you mentioned- not being able to achieve certain colors. I've never had an oxide or ultramarine appear as one color at a pour and turn to another after unmolding. I know I'm in the minority here not liking SS, I'll stick w/ oxides or ultramarines.

Where could I get the activated charcol? I've seen it in other people's soaps but thought it was foreign.

BTW, Black Betty has played a lot this weekend lol.

Let me check my receipts. I get it from a company that sells a pound of it for $14 and that includes shipping. Be back later with the info.

black oxide

I'm referring to the SS and not black oxide ;) I have plenty of that but a load of trouble lately with it specking, so I was hoping I could achieve it via another medium. Although I am trying an overnight soak in oil to see if that helps.