Craft Fairs and Weather

okay guys, i need help on deciding whether to do this show or not. i have done a show with this particular organizer and it was a success. my drawback with this upcoming show is the time. It is in mid-July, which will be hotter than all get out here. i have never done a show during the summer months, my season runs from mid-september to late-may. for those who have done shows during the extremely hot months, what do you recommend as far as products? also, would it be best to just sit this one out? i am not sure how my products are gonna hold up in the heat. anyone have any experience with outdoor shows during hot months? taking pointers, advice, etc. from any and all!

Lord we push our season into June and probably shouldn't. If you do it, get electricity and maybe a block of ice to blow cool onto your product. We've found that shade helps, but July is a month that's typically 100 or plus and our stuff starts to sweat at 90ish or higher. You might make it with coolers and rotating product around.

For me, I would skip it since it's outside.

I don't do any shows from June - August unless I can get something inside. I did one last September where the temp hit the low 80's and rotating them from the shade was the only way to keep them from sweating and getting really soft.

Me, I would sit it out.

I did something outdoors in June once. It wasn't even that hot, in the 70s. But because the sun was shining and heating things up, some of my candles melted. I was under a tent by the sun was coming in through the side.

wow! that was my whole concern, my products melting and me having to throw them out, which means i would be out of the money i make at the show plus out of inventory. i have decided that i will stick with my regualr season for outdoor shows, which is mid-sept to late-may. hopefully i will be able to find some indoor shows during june - august

wow! that was my whole concern, my products melting and me having to throw them out, which means i would be out of the money i make at the show plus out of inventory. i have decided that i will stick with my regualr season for outdoor shows, which is mid-sept to late-may. hopefully i will be able to find some indoor shows during june - august

do you just make candles? or do you do soaps too? the best thing would be to eliminate those products that could possibly melt. Like ditch the candles, but keep the soap.

I've done a few fairs that were over 100F. Miserable, but doable. My candles, in the shade of the tent, seemed fine. Most were soy/paraffin blend pillars that hold up pretty well to heat. The green ones did discolor, even though they were in the shade and had UV. They turned a bit tan. Containers didn't seem to have much of a problem. The biggest problem was bees and bugs.

Everything does have to be out of the sun, for sure. Lip balms get a bit soft, but thats mostly the testers than leak all over - the shrink wrapped stuff stays put in their tube. I don't really do anything else that would 'melt'.

do you just make candles? or do you do soaps too? the best thing would be to eliminate those products that could possibly melt. Like ditch the candles, but keep the soap.

i do all bath and body, no candles

great idea to ditch the items that would be seriously affected by the heat

One of my biggest shows is during the 4th of July weekend and it's a five day show! But we are under a pavillion roof with open sides or we can hang tarps to keep the sun out. I setup 500+ candles and do fine. I always do well over $2,000.00 in sales so I can't very well pass it up! some of the candles sweat but it's to be expected and the customers know it too! I do pure soy candles as well!

Fire

fire, what is the temp usually at that time of year?? I am facing the same decision as the original poster.

the temp for me around that time is normally 90 degrees, sometimes it can be a little over a 100

fire, what is the temp usually at that time of year?? I am facing the same decision as the original poster.

85-90 degrees by 2:00pm but was cooling down again by 7:00pm back into the lower80s

One thing I do is place tarps on the cement floor so the sun doesn't heat it up and the bounce under the tables. This will be my first show of the year and I'm looking forward to it! It's hot but in the late afternoon and evenings, people are 6 deep at my tables. I love it. This is the second biggest show I do all year!

Fire;)

where we have our craft show, it is outside, but ofcourse your under your little tent thingy. for 10.00 we can get electicity. could you run a AC and aim it right at all the candles or is that a worthless effort to keep things cooler? we do containers and scented jar candles

We have done outside shows in July and August in the Midwest....when the shows were good. However, since the number of quality shoppers have been dropping off, we decided to cancel these shows. Yes, we did have candles melting and soaps softening. The glycerin soaps almost liquified. We took coolers to switch them out. But even by saving the candle or soap, the packaging was ruined. So when damage totals became greater than sales, we quit the summer outside shows!