FO not weighing correctly..

Maybe a scale professional can chime in - I don't know if there is a difference in zeroing out or using the Tare feature.

I have never had a problem with none of my samples from any suppliers if anything I have been lucky to get like a .10 ounce more.

How old is your battery?

when you say you have two oz bottles, are the two oz by weight or volume? Sounds like two oz by volume, which can be different than by weight.

That is a possibility -but she mentioned one was from NG - I have never had a problem with their weights being off.

David is right what you are getting is volume weight which is a whole lot different than specific gravity weight. Most supplier in the smaller bottle give volume weight. They should but don't always say whether it is volume or specific gravity weight at the 8 oz or up I just assume volume.

Here is an example I just got a FO in that was in a 16 oz bottle but when I transfered it to my glass bottle I weigh them and I really only got 15 oz specific gravity weight which is what you get when you put it on a scale.

Just for your information the bottle are sized according to water weight. Water weight is equal in its volume versus specific gravity weight.

Boy I hope I didn't confuse you.

The FO's that I order vary. Sometimes I have some left in the bottle after weighing it. If I really want to know for sure....I measure in grams......

When I have 25 lb pails.......I just have to trust that there is 25 lbs in there. The 16 oz sizes vary but I don't really watch it. I notice it when I order sample bottles.

'Into each life a little rain must fall...otherwise the dry air will

give you a sinus headache!' ;)

Donita Louise

Have you tried weighing out the remaining FO to see how close it is to 1/2 the bottle? The shape of bottles can sometimes be a little deceiving as to what fraction of the liquid is really left.

It does sound like you might be having problems with your scale though, if your NG 1 oz came out to 1/2 oz. It shouldn't be that far off, and I've found their measurements to be right on.

Here's the deal, if you have a 2 ounce bottle and it just over half full.. it aint 2 ounces. But... some suppliers don't want to carry 2 or 3 sizes of sample bottles so they might not have a real ounce bottle but use a two ounce bottle and fill it half full and sell as a one ounce sample... maybe that happened??? Or they were out of their one ounce size bottles.

Almost every supplier I use (25 of them) fill the sample and small bottles to the top and their done. MOST of them are over filled by quite a bit in some cases. My digital scales read .0625 for one ounce and most sample bottles I get are filled to .0700 or more 10% overfill. THEY make a way good profit on the oils and its takes too much time to get an exact one ounce bottle filled to a perfect one ounce. They will save in the long run because of the extra employee labor wages it takes to get the weights perfect on each smaller size bottle. To them its only a penny or less in extra oil if they fill it to the top.. and they make a killing at 2.00 an ounce any way so no big deal to them...that's the way I look at it anyway. I have over 2000 sample bottle in the basement right now and I'm a perfectionist on using exact numbers and weights so I always check out stuff like this. One pound bottles.. most of them are dead on to a fraction of an ounce, small ones they just over fill to save time and labor. That's my findings anyway, I'm sure all suppliers have their own ways of doing business.

Bruce

Glad the others were able to answer your question....my digital scale is retarded! I will pour what I think is a certain amount, and when I'm a little short, I'll add more...then the amount on the scale DECREASES! I don't think my scale is aware of the fact that when you add more to it, the numbers should go up, not down!!

I've had a talk with him, so let's hope he behaves next time! :D And, yes, it's a "he" and his name is Walter! :grin2:

I am not super familiar with Peaks samples, but just looking at the site, their samples are 1 oz samples.

If you are dealing with a sample from Peaks, is it a one oz sample? If it is, then that 1/4 of a bottle is a bonus!!

Just my 2 pennies.

hmmm... I was a bit lost until I saw the "2oz" bottle. Then I looked at your recorded weight for the new bottle, 0.265.

Is it possible your scale might be displaying pounds?

A 2oz bottle in glass would be really close to 0.265 lbs. And on the same scale, if the scale had a precision of 0.05 lbs, it would display 0.05 lbs for Natures Garden's 1 oz sample (assuming plastic bottle). So, I'm just thinking that you might have a scale displaying in pounds, and you might be assuming that an once would be equivalent to 0.10 on that scale.

And if you were to pour out 0.10 lbs of the 2oz bottle, then you'd only end up with about a quarter of the bottle left (by volume). 0.10 lbs ends up being about an ounce and a half.

See if there is button on your scale that allows you to toggle the units from lbs to ounces. I think you'll see numbers that make more sense that way. And you'll also get better precision from your scale. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alan :smiley2: