Bottom in a tin, burn ok?

Hi,

I'm testing one of the soy tins I made, the one that was said to resemble a bum in a tin, or testicles in a tin as someone said lmao

This is it after 1 hour

soytin1hr.jpg

this is 3 hours, only a tiny sliver around the sides on one bit.

soytin3hr.jpg

Is that ok? (excuse my poor photography lol)

The scent throw is wonderful

Yes I would say that is a great burn

Hi' date='

I'm testing one of the soy tins I made, the one that was said to resemble a bum in a tin, or testicles in a tin as someone said lmao

This is it after 1 hour

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/atlastowers/soytin1hr.jpg

this is 3 hours, only a tiny sliver around the sides on one bit.

soytin3hr.jpg

Is that ok? (excuse my poor photography lol)

The scent throw is wonderful

You could always test burn one of the other ones you made!

Or mention to your hubby's friends that you have only tested a couple so if they have any problems to let you know. You could kill 2 birds with the one stone so to speak sell a couple of candles and get them to test them for you at the same time.

All the best.

Lisa:)

would you consider that tested? Someone at hubbys work wants 2 making. Of course I'm completely out of strawberry FO now' date=' typical.

I'm so nervous of thinking about selling, eek[/quote']

no, it's not fully tested until you get to the bottom of the tin. And then, that's only THAT scent, colour and wax combination tested. If you want to pour a tin in yellow that smells of pineapple - you need to test again because a wick that burns pink strawberry scented wax, may not be the right wick to burn yellow pineapple wax - it's all to do with the consistency of the oils etc.

Nat

Obviously I'm no expert... but I would suggest burning that one all the way down, then if it's still working out well, pour the candles for hubby's coworker plus one extra, and burn that one down too... just because you might have done something a little differently the second time you poured them. I would also warn the person and try to convince them to help you test... lol!

This is assuming that you are going to be burning the same fragrance. If not, you might need to play with the new one a little.

would you consider that tested?

You may not even have the right wick size yet. Any time I tried to wick a soy tin, the wick that looked great at the top was too big. Even wicks that I thought might be a little small were often too big. Those containers burn hot towards the bottom and conduct heat back up the sides. You could have twice as much hangup as you've got there and it would end up spotlessly clean (apart from soot if you get it wrong).

So don't think about giving it to anyone until you've tested it properly and decided on the wicking.

and the aim is to leave nothing in the tin but the sustainer?

Yes you would want to use up all the wax in a series of 3 hour test burns. That's easy enough to accomplish, especially in a tin. The other considerations are to maintain a safe and pleasant flame size, not generate soot, and not get the container excessively hot. Those things get more difficult at the bottom of the container. You also don't want anything bad to happen if people burn the candle for longer than the recommended time. Between finding the right wick and testing in a few different ways, multiple test candles are required to properly design it.

It's had two 3hour burns and 1 5hour so far (forgot ;) ) It's about half way down the tin so far (4oz tin).

The sides vanished last night as it was burning.

The wick (kick me, go on, cos I'm going to), I can't remember which I put in, I had an ecosoy and a zinc, I'm pretty sure it was the eco.

When I relight it, the top of the wick, has like bits on it, and theres a little pfft pfft for a few seconds, but then it settles into a nice little flame.

I'm making 4 of these this weekend. Another to test and 3 someone wants to buy.

The wick (kick me' date=' go on, cos I'm going to), I can't remember which I put in, I had an ecosoy and a zinc, I'm pretty sure it was the eco.

I'm making 4 of these this weekend. Another to test and 3 someone wants to buy.[/quote']

And what happens if you guess the wrong one? All 4 may have the wrong wick. Sounds like you may be in a bit too much of a hurry to sell them. JMO