C&D Letter from You know who..help please

regeon

I am lucky enough to have my next door neighbor as my business and patent attorney. He tells me that though 'type' may work, it's not good enough. This was news to me as everyone seems to use 'type;' i.e. Clean Cotton Type.

He says that the best thing to do is to (1) change the name completely and/or(2) refer to it as comparable to the name brand. For example

Cotton Fresh by Mei-Mei

compare to (comparable to, a dupe of, whatever wording you wish to use) Yankme's Clean Cotton .

He says it's important to put the TM part in. But the best thing to do is to change the name and not even mention the Yankme part.:grin2:

I never understood why they get all upset about the word "tart", it's like they think they invented it. No one thinks of them when you use the word tart, at least I don't.

They did invent it. Yankee is the reason we call them tarts. It's their trademark, fair and square, and has been registered and conscientiously defended for almost 15 years.

Goods & Services: fragrant wax for use in potpourri burners.

FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: June 30, 1988

Filing Date: November 22, 1991

Published for Opposition: August 4, 1992

Registration Date: October 27, 1992

As you would expect, tart is also trademarked by other companies for different types of products. But only one company can use that word for their wax melts.

I never use "type" and I always rename the FO's. started that because I was never comfy with using dupes and had planned to discontinue them altogether. I keep seeing those little bottles of knock off body sprays in the family dollar...you know the ones, if you like Tommy Girl you'll love Jesse's best friend!..LOL

• 4 weeks later...
They did invent it. Yankee is the reason we call them tarts. It's their trademark, fair and square, and has been registered and conscientiously defended for almost 15 years.

I thought the Queen of Hearts invented the tart. :D

Sorry for the hijack.