Buying Supplies...Self Proclaimed Supply/Packaging Wh*re!

Kimberly

Do any of you guys have this problem? I see a good deal on packaging and "OH I HAVE TO HAVE IT!" Nevermind I have no freaking clue what I am going to put in it...I just have to spend money!

OR....I see something neat that I want to try. Like different ingredients that I want to "play"with....."Gotta have it" and have it now!

I dont have the time to make the stuff I currently have in my product line, let alone play with anything new. What is my problem?????

That is whay you guys get such a good deal from me in the classifieds...lol

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else a Supply/packaging Whore?

I agree, I have so many supplies, ideas, new things to try, just don't have the time to play. I think I will love B&B, but don't know. Think I will make B&B just my hobby until I get out from under the "candle overload." And I will! A Happy & Blessed Easter to all of You. CAROLE

Guilty as charged. This is the year I'm trying to put a stop to it though. After really looking at my expenses for R&D last year...

Glass bottles for liquid soap that I never developed...

Glass bottles for oil candles that I never fully developed...

Hinged tins for a salve that I've only done a few of but haven't tested any further

Cool muslin bags that I don't have anything to fill with...

Salt tubes......

But I won't give them up - you never know I might finally finish the R&D some day :)

Guilty as charged.

Yeah.......me too.

I'm doing better though.I have stopped myself from participating in alot of the co op and I just don't look in the classy because I know if I look I will buy.

If I ever want to leave my full time job.....I better STOP AND GET IT TOGETHER.....so that is my motivation

My problem is with FO samples. I just love buying sample packs...and never putting the oil into wax. You should see how many samples I have! It's not even funny.

I don't do b&b, or I might have the same issues with different ingredients, recipes, packaging, but not with candles. I just love to sniff different FO!!

My problem has been buying too many candle container jars. But I have decided from now on I will only use the ones that I can pick up and scale down to a few. Now if only I could make up my mind which few.

I do the same. I am an addict! Sad part is everytime I go to put something in the classy's I research it to see what I can make with it and end up keeping it. But now I have stickies attached to everything with the reason or recipe I bought it and I still have no time to use it.. I need willpower to stay out of classies and suppliers sites.

This is part of my problem I have also!! I started a thread about how depressing our tax appointment was . . . I thought I made more money than the accountant said I made!! I thought right away that I need to stop buying all of those samples, and supplies for new products that I'll never complete!! Guilty as charged here too!!

I used to be guilty as well but I've calmed down alot. I just recently did my last cleanout to get rid of any remaining "I have to have but have no idea what I'll do with" supplies. We had no room for the supplies we needed anymore it was that bad. The thought of the money we had in all those supplies seriously made me sick!

Being a former addict myself I have a simple practice now that really cuts down on all of that stuff that you really want but don't really need....

Wait. I bookmark it and wait a week. If I still feel like I need it in a week I will buy it. Most of the time I look at it again and I do not feel that urge.

I have one small bag of small Malibu tubes that I bought last fall thinking that I would have time to make some lotion... it hasn't happened yet but that is all that I have for excess that I do not use on a regular basis.

HTH. :rolleyes2

Jennifer

Being a former addict myself I have a simple practice now that really cuts down on all of that stuff that you really want but don't really need....

Wait. I bookmark it and wait a week. If I still feel like I need it in a week I will buy it. Most of the time I look at it again and I do not feel that urge.

This sounds like a good way to cure those urges!! I think I'm going to try this! Hopefully, I can join the "former addict" group soon!

Yup, me too. I'm in recovery now. I was on a 3 month binge. I bought so much stuff and then one morning I woke up and looked around my house. Supplies everywhere! How did it get like this? I have a candle workshop built on to the back of my house with PLENTY of storage space. All filled. Florida room, filled. Kitchen counters, cabinets and any spare space, filled. I even put plastic shelves up in my bedroom. Filled. When did my house get so disasterous with candle, B&B supplies!? That morning, I listed a bunch of stuff in the classies. Now that I'm in recovery, I stepped back my line. No more B&B for awhile. I'm back to basics. Just candles.The B&B that I have made up will remain till sold out. Oh, and I do not visit the coops or classies anymore. When I read a post about a great supply, packaging idea, or B&B recipe, I DO NOT click on the supplier link. It was a very expensive lesson. As I sit here and type this, I just noticed a brand new bottle of Isopropyl Myristate sitting on my desk. What the heck was I going to make with that? It's tough...but I remain strong..lol

Love this thread. Boy do I relate. And tax time sure brought it out. And a grumbling husband/partner. I hear other crafters have the same problem, quilters with boxes of pieces, knitters with boxes of yarn. I think we are not alone. It has occured to me, though, the ones that really benefit from all this excess is the suppliers. Which they may have already figured that out as previous crafters themselves:)

Thanks, guys, for the chuckle. The first step is to admit powerlessness.

Believe it or not, my BF wishes I was more like you..."this packaging is cool, why don't you buy it?"

I ask what I am going to do with it and he says "I don't know, it is just neat!"

So maybe when he starts on one of his searches to "help me" he should call you....LOL

Wow! It's good to hear I'm not the only one with this problem! I have come to the conclusion, it is an addiction and should have a name, but I'm not sure what yet!

It really sucks when you run out of money to spend and you find something in the classifieds you want, I just get off there and go somewhere else! I have so much stuff I have bought and never used, thinking someday I will use that!:confused: We are in the process of buying a house, so my addiction has slowed a bit............for now anyway!:rolleyes2

I have to say, I love this board!!! IT IS GREAT!:yay:

I'm this way about everything! I blame it on beeing very poor growing up and now that I can afford it I WANT it.

I got into orchids. I bought 40 orchids, some costing over $100.00 each. I bought little mini green house. I bought clay pots, bark, plant food, moss and moisture readers. I babied them for about 3 months, I lost interest!

They were devided up between my dad and MIL.

I got into quilting! Bought templates, fabric, cutters, and mat boards. I bought a quilting frame, I got sewing notions, books and more! I lost interest!

Now it's candle stuff. I've got 7 differnt electric molds, about 20 fixin's molds. I got 20+ oils no smaller then 16oz. I got dye blocks, wax, pour pots. I got jars, (for fixin's) I got packageing material.

All told the candle stuff has went well over $1,500 and I need more supplies! LOL. My husband must love me or he thinks my novel will be finished soon!

:grin2: