Wanted to show you this

Hi Sabrina

I think those are done by putting a few drops of dye in a bucket of cold water and then by twirling the candle as you dip it in. I'm not sure how well the dye would stick to the candle without rubbing off. I think there was a thread about this in the archives, but not sure.

Hi Sabrina, I am not gonna be much help with how these are made, but they sure are beautiful. I do not see how they can be dipped, the swirling looks too good - but then maybe twirling and swirling can be achieved after much practice.:smiley2: As for the shining glaze, I recently purchased some Candle Gloss Finish from C&S and applied it with a brush to one of my candles. It made it very shiny, but I think these are probably dipped in large quantities of a clear acrylic coating.

Hi Sabrina

I think those are done by putting a few drops of dye in a bucket of cold water and then by twirling the candle as you dip it in. I'm not sure how well the dye would stick to the candle without rubbing off. I think there was a thread about this in the archives, but not sure.

I believe this is close to how it was done, and then like Candlesprite said, dipped in an overglaze to seal it and shine it up.

I've been working on something similar, though mine are more stripey. I'll post a pic in the gallery later. Those sure are pretty, I think Bruce could explain better, he had some similar tapers.

Oh yes please do!!!!!!

And then can you give me an hint?

I thought of swirls in water with dye but those look so perfect.. maybe it's painting... oh well and I don't really need another project to try! But I'm curious!!

Those are sharp. I wonder if they might be machine made. Someone once told me about a machine that pressed semi solid wax together to make candles. Perhaps this is something similar.

Janette

PS- Sabrina, how much do they cost?

janette, i don't know how much they cost, on the site there wasn't any information.

But the more I look at those the more I think they are machine made. perhaps the productor's site doesn't tell "handmade" candles.

I guess it would be too difficult to try achieveing that look by hand...

But maybe Bruce (Bruuuuuuuu where are you??) could say something about it.

Here! Not been checking the board very often but found this thread.

I wish I had NOT seen it... those are real cool looking and dang it I might

have to add that to my list of things to try.

The dye is not a good idea and I'm almost sure they are not made with dye. Dye will bleed into the clear wax and get all jumbled up and a few years down the road just look gray. Pigment in water... very possible, but im thinking oil based paint drops in water might be the winner. I dont think the color goes all the way into the candles and the pattern is random so its got to be a dip of some kind.

Bruce

Here! Not been checking the board very often but found this thread.

I wish I had NOT seen it... those are real cool looking and dang it I might

have to add that to my list of things to try.

The dye is not a good idea and I'm almost sure they are not made with dye. Dye will bleed into the clear wax and get all jumbled up and a few years down the road just look gray. Pigment in water... very possible, but im thinking oil based paint drops in water might be the winner. I dont think the color goes all the way into the candles and the pattern is random so its got to be a dip of some kind.

Bruce

Hi Bruce! Nice to read you again!:yay:

If you should try something similar could you please let me know how? I don't think I'll ever make something like this, but I'm really curious.

Thanks!

This may be only a bit of the idea, but judging from the top of the pillars, it actually looks more like one of those spinning things I used to have as a kid.

You'd dollop paint and let it make a starburst.

The top of the pillar starts in the center and works out, so it could be they drop the color on the top center, start slow as it works it's way out and speeds up, to create that spinning effect, and then once it's all worked out, put some sort of overdip on it.

ETA: On the tapers, it looks like someone just did some drizzle.

I think I'm gonna play with this idea and see what happens.