Melting Question

Will a Parafin wax melter the knid used in salons work to melt Soy, my thought is melt only in one container, dye and fo in smaller like measuring cup. I currently use microwave melt, dye and fo all in same cup. I am an impatient kind of person :o

Linda

Does anyone know if its safe to put something like FO in a microwave? Not being mean or anything, but you will have to learn patience if you do want to get into candlemaking. If you rush things, you will just wind up wasting money and time.

I only micro to melt the wax, I watch and test temps the whole time, I add my dye and fo's after melt is complete. When I got my candle kit it had instructions to melt in micro or double boiler. My candle time is limited due to being caregiver for my Mom with dementia, and my 2 granddaughters, and working parttime. Impatient maybe was not the best word, time constrained is more like it.

Linda

I have melted in a microwave for the last 6 months and only had 1 thing happen. I used a glass meaturing cup and it shattered in the microwave while I was on the phone so they are right it isn't safe. I am now looking for a cheap prest pot to melt my wax now.

My Mom owned a salon & had a professional paraffin melter for manicure wax dips. Hers had a temp gauge to melt the wax & lower the temp for skin-safe dipping, so can't see a reason why you can't use it -- except they are quite expensive & heavy. Seems more cost effective to use a Presto Pot or turkey fryer thing.

Susan.

I only micro to melt the wax, I watch and test temps the whole time, I add my dye and fo's after melt is complete. When I got my candle kit it had instructions to melt in micro or double boiler. My candle time is limited due to being caregiver for my Mom with dementia, and my 2 granddaughters, and working parttime. Impatient maybe was not the best word, time constrained is more like it.

Linda

Nannalin, I took care of my Mother with dementia too so I know that takes up a lot of your time and energy.

I have melted in a microwave for the last 6 months and only had 1 thing happen. I used a glass meaturing cup and it shattered in the microwave while I was on the phone so they are right it isn't safe. I am now looking for a cheap prest pot to melt my wax now.

Good to know! WOW! I've been using the microwave for months. I have a reg melting pot/double boiler set up, but it takes a lot longer.

Presto pot?

Maybe I'll look into it, esp after reading this post!

Has anyone attached the spicket? If not, anyone do something handy to get the wax in the pour pitcher? Ive been using a measuring cup?

Natalie

Hey Natalie-

What's a spicket?

Also, I too use a measuring cup... it's imprecise until you know how many cups needed for a certain container.

I guess that's where the glass measuring cup comes in handy! Ever since I started using a glass measuring cup I know I'm dead-on about how many ounces are in my different containers. :D

Don't know if this helped...

At the Peaks sight under candle making info at the very bottom of the page has a picture and instructions. The parts that they suggest, the sizes that is were hard for me to locate. So I get a little drip, used the one that I didnt make into a spicket. My wax dropps so much in temp when I put it in glass but it definitely does take out the guesswork.

Natalie