FO damage to plastic molds

I have a 4" Saturn ball mold made by Pourette, and I've used it twice. Now the inside is all pitted and rough, and I'm assuming it's from the FO.

Pourette states - and I quote from their website : "Excessive use of fragrance or essential oil will shorten the life span of all types of molds for candles. It will dry plastic and acrylic molds and make them brittle. It may also cause softening, discoloration and pitting in all types of candle molds. This may shorten the life of your mold. Please use care."

My question is this: How much is too much FO?? I'm just using the standard 1oz per pound of wax. What is the correct amount for these plastic molds, or should I be using no FO at all???

I love my ball candles, but now I'm wondering if I can still use this one, or whether I have to replace it. Will the candle stick in the mold now that it's discolored and pitted? HELP......

I know how you feel, it happened to me too, after just one use of the mold. It's the FO, and I really don't think you can use FO with these molds. For the life of me, why would you want to make a candle without scent :undecided

The more you use it with FO, the worse it gets :mad:

Mine discolored also, but found that I could still use it without transfering color from it to a different colored candle. I think someone said the best way to use these molds was to pour the unscented palm wax in them, they're already textured, so the pits won't show. I got Peaks aluminum 2 piece ball to try, but have yet had a chance to pour it, I'm hoping that will perform the way I want, without the worries of pitting and discoloring.

Those molds are crap. Pourette should fast forward to the 21st century. When I read their warning the words translated "don't buy these" to me.

You have nice alternatives though:

For super glossy check out http://www.candlewic.com/Store/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Candle+Making+Supplies&category%5Fname=Designer+Shaped+Molds&product%5Fid=DSM%2D13.

For extra durable check out http://www.candlescience.com/site/shop/molds/miscellaneous/misc-candle-molds.php.

I just ordered one of the aluminum ones.

I have to say that I have several of those polycarb molds from Candlewic and they were ruined after my first pour....FO eats them up too. I think the best thing is to stick with the metal ones, or use the plastic type molds for unscented candles. Thanks for that link topofmurryhill, those are great prices on some of the molds.

I buy mold from everyone....I do buy the molds from Pourette. I have to get my teardrop mold from them, but luckily, I don't care if they are pitted. I do chunk candles then crackle them.....they are weak at the seams and split, so I found that some goop put on in a tiny bead makes them last longer. They have to be "stretched" so much to make that shape as well as the saturn. Iuse those too but for canes, so no FO's. Donita

Does anybody know the best way to clean the polycarbonate molds? Somehow a heat gun doesn't seem like a good idea. Should they be used with silicone mold release? I never use these but recently picked up a few.

With polycarbs I just use warm water and soap to clean them.

With the polycarb molds you can use a heat gun........short burst and wipe with a paper towel. I've had some for 3 years and have had no problems cleaning them that way. I personally don't like soap and water on any of my molds. :cool2:

I have to say that I have several of those polycarb molds from Candlewic and they were ruined after my first pour....FO eats them up too. I think the best thing is to stick with the metal ones, or use the plastic type molds for unscented candles. Thanks for that link topofmurryhill, those are great prices on some of the molds.
What did you pour? I guess I don't want to this to be true because I thought of something useful to do with these molds and it would eliminate the possibility. I thought they were supposed to be resistant compared to acrylic.

I wonder if there's a huge difference in quality from one polycarb mold to another? I just bought 4 large ones and they are incredibly thick. I used to make votives with polycarb molds, but they had a tendency to stick, so I threw them away. I'm going to spray the insides with Pam before I use them (and wipe clean) but I'm just curious if the thickness of the plastic will make a difference...

We'll see. I got mine very cheap (on sale) at candlesandsupplies.com, so if they get ruined on the first use, I'll either throw them out, or use them and grubby the pillars afterwards. Or I could make rustic pillars with them; that should hide some of the imperfections.

DanaE

Just what I've been thinking!!!! Thanks for those links. I think next time I order from Candlescience (they're also in NC :) ) I'm going to order one of the aluminum molds.
Mine just arrived. Beware the aluminum ball mold. You'll need a drill press if you want to use that one.

Actually it's a great piece. Built like a tank. Unfortunately there's no provision for wicking it. You either have to drill the candle (which I believe is what's intended), or drill the mold and devise some way of wicking it. The bottom is flat so you'd have to find a way of keeping it level.