Racoon Tallow

LovelyLathers

OMG does it stink! I made it for the first time and may be the last. The smell is terriable. I sure how it cures out some, I did scent it with a little of Tony's black pepper but I only had an oz so I was short some.. My SO is a hunter and so are his friends so He bugs me to make different hunters soap. So I had to try this. I have used deer and buffalo and they have a slight scent but not like racoon. But I have heard it does make a great soap.

Oh, would love to know how it soaps up! I have a quite a few hunters hunter friends, and hope to get tallow thru them. If I would have know I would be soaping and being pulled over to the dark side, I would have gotten a ton of bear tallow....darn it all already....hehehe

hmmm, I thought most species of bears where on the endangered list in the US?

I think most are, but I remember them opening up the season in Jersey for the black bear because there were so many and they were in everyone's back yard.

Personally, I never understood the thrill of going out into the woods with a gun and shooting an animal.. :tongue2: okay I'll stop before pissing off the hunters in the group :D

Black bear season is in early Dec. here in PA. Very legal-as long as you buy a license.:wink2: Personally I think it stinks too. We see bears but not that often and they rarely cause trouble unless you leave food out or something. I'd rather see them shot with a camera.

GLo

Yep hunting some types of bear is legal in some parts. I have hunters that use my blueberry muffin candles to attract bears when they are hunting. This past hunting season was the second year that they used my candles and got a bear the second season in a row. I'm not really thrilled about my candles used to attract a bear so it can be killed, but at least it tells me my BBM smells real enough to fool a bear.

We also have a bear season here in Minnesota. My main objection to the way bear is hunted is how they put out bait and get the bears used to coming to a spot a few weeks before the season. To me that's not hunting, but then I don't think sitting in a deer stand right above a deer trail is very sporting either. Now if you can go out into the woods with a bow...

We also have a bear season here in Minnesota. My main objection to the way bear is hunted is how they put out bait and get the bears used to coming to a spot a few weeks before the season. To me that's not hunting, but then I don't think sitting in a deer stand right above a deer trail is very sporting either. Now if you can go out into the woods with a bow...

reminds me of that 'caged' hunting I think its called where animals are kept in pens (Large pens, but still pens) and they are fed in one spot..so all the hunters go there and kill them. Makes me sick. My cousin and I stomp through the woods around here during deer season... ;)