Heating your container?

Hello all. I'm a newbie, I asked a few questions a couple of weeks ago, and now I have another question.

I received my soy candle making kit in the mail today (woo-hoo). But before getting overly excited and rushing to make my first candle, I read the directions from where I got my soy kit from and I also re-read through the basic instructions here. I noticed that one step is to heat your container. I don't really hear people talk about this much, so I'm just curious....

Do people normally heat their containers?

If so, do you use a heat gun or the oven? or something else?

And finally...am I reading correctly, you heat the container right before you pour? This confused me a little because I was under the impression that once I've added my scent and dye, I should pretty much pour shortly after. So I didn't know if I took the extra step to heat my container, would that mean I'm waiting too long too pour.

Thanks for your help! I've decided to wait until tomorrow evening to make my first candle. This way I have time to make sure I've got all my questions answered. :-)

You'll certainly find plenty of people who swear one way or the other on heating containers & just as many reasons on why they prefer the way they do it. So ... you'll really just need to test both ways. Personally, I don't heat my containers. Soy is a fickle wax. I think it has more to do w/ your location & the weather conditions when you pour. I've seen dramatic differences depending on whether it's hot, cold or humid. Like everything else, it's a matter of what works for you & what you like doing. Good luck.

Susan.

with the C-3 wax and igi 4627 I did heat the containers. Put them in the oven on the lowest setting and then when I was ready to pour took one out and poured. Now tonight I am trying new wax (again) ecosoya and I did not pre heat my jars and the wax adhered just fine to the jars and is looking really nice. One less step for me to do lol.

I say try one both ways and see what works best for you and what one you like

Hi and welcome!

Susan is right, you will get lots of different opinions and here's another :) . I heat my containers. I turn my oven on as low as it will go, put my wicked containers in then turn off the oven while I melt, add color, stir, stir, stir, add fo and then stir, stir, stir some more. When I am ready to pour I take out the amount of jars that I need and pour them. I have found with the type of wax that I use it does make a difference if the jar is heat and it gives me a little extra time if I am going to marble. Also, the theory is that the jar won't get "shocked" by pouring into a heated jar. So there you have it for what it's worth :D .

I always wondered if the jars were wicked before or after heating. The lowest setting I have on my oven is 150 -- does that bother the wick stickums? I always use the oven to get out old wax, so I know the containers are fine at that temp. Do you let the containers sit for a certain period of time before you heat, so the wick can set? Just curious to the process.

Susan.

I use plain 415 soy... and heating my jars prior to pouring actually made the frosting worse than pouring into room-temp jars.

You'll find as many different answers on how to pour as their are users here, though. Try it out a few ways and see what works best for you!

TxSioux when I 1st started to heat my containers I pit the wix in secured with the hot glue gun method. I never had a problem with them coming loose but I did have the wax that was on the wicks drip off. So I then carefully wicked them after I heated them.

Island, I use 100% soy and don't heat my jars. Every once in a while I will have a wet spot on a candle but not that often. As far as the time it takes between melting, heating jars and pouring you should have plenty of time. Everyone is a bit different in how they pour but with mine I pour at the slushy stage (I get much nicer tops that way) and the time I put the wax in my pour pot to the slushy stage can sometimes be 45 minutes+.

Island, I use 100% soy and don't heat my jars. Every once in a while I will have a wet spot on a candle but not that often. As far as the time it takes between melting, heating jars and pouring you should have plenty of time. Everyone is a bit different in how they pour but with mine I pour at the slushy stage (I get much nicer tops that way) and the time I put the wax in my pour pot to the slushy stage can sometimes be 45 minutes+.

Ditto. I pour soy cool (just before it sets up) so I don't preheat my jars. The wax adhesion is excellent and I very rarely get wet spots. I get smoother tops this way as well and don't have to zap with a heat gun when the candle sets up.

Now for *paraffin* jars, I do preheat, but that's because I pour those hotter and get nasty jump lines if I don't warm the jars a bit.

hth

Ditto. I pour soy cool (just before it sets up) so I don't preheat my jars. The wax adhesion is excellent and I very rarely get wet spots. I get smoother tops this way as well and don't have to zap with a heat gun when the candle sets up.

Now for *paraffin* jars, I do preheat, but that's because I pour those hotter and get nasty jump lines if I don't warm the jars a bit.

hth

What do you mean by your "pour cool"? Does that mean you are heating your wax to a certain temp after you put in your scent and then cool it down to another temp? If so what temp?

Right now I'm using C 3 wax and work in my basement so it does get a little chilly down there. What I do is just take my heat gun and run it over the container inside and out just enought to take the chill off the container b/f I pour my wax into the container. HTH Cindy/WI

I always wondered if the jars were wicked before or after heating. The lowest setting I have on my oven is 150 -- does that bother the wick stickums? I always use the oven to get out old wax, so I know the containers are fine at that temp. Do you let the containers sit for a certain period of time before you heat, so the wick can set? Just curious to the process.

Susan.

It didn't seem to bother the wick stickums but the glue dots would come loose every single time. I switched to hot glue b/c I had a hard time getting the stickems and now that I pour at 175, which is necessary for the AC-10 in my area, the glued wick tabs do come loose :mad: . I have changed to silicone so heating the jars also helps with that setup. My lowest setting on my oven is 170 so after it heats up I just open the door a little to let some heat out then I put my jars in. I remember when ovens went down to 125, so what happened to that??

I hope we didn't totally confuse Islandgirljen with all our different techniques and tweeks :laugh2:

What do you mean by your "pour cool"? Does that mean you are heating your wax to a certain temp after you put in your scent and then cool it down to another temp? If so what temp?

I don't know which wax you are using but normally you heat the wax to the mfg suggested temp to start out, then you add color if you want, then your fo. This is an example only: heat to 185 degrees add color, cool to 175 degrees and add fo, cool to 125 degrees and pour into your containers. Alot of peeps pour much cooler than that. It all depends on your wax like some of the posts said. Remember to take notes and to stir well. Good luck!

Yes, I heat to a certain temp, add fo and color, then let it cool down before pouring. I don't go by the thermometer, because I can't. My thermometers don't go below 100* F, and the temp is below that when I pour. Rather, I go by the "look" of the soy. When it's starting to set up around the edges, and getting a light "filmy" look on top, it's time for me to pour. Some people wait until a "slushy" stage, like a thin slushy freezing cold drink. You can see actual bits of solidified wax starting to form in the pot.

Hey I am in the process of trying this wax also and when I picked it up they told me they heat it up to 190 and add color and FO then pour. I heated mine up to 180 and then poured into pour pot and added FO by the tie I poured it was about 160 and it set up real nice in the jars without pre heating them

• 1 month later...

when I worked with c-3 it did adhere to the container when I preheated the jars as opposed to when I didn't. I also had to do a 2nd pour and create sink holes before my 2nd pour. hth