Muscovado Sugar

KristineG

I found a brown sugar scrub recipe that I'd like to try that calls for 1lb of Muscovado Sugar. Apparently, muscovado sugar will remain suspeneded in this recipe and not disolve. I searched the board and only found reference to Muscovado Brown Sugar FO (which I'm not looking for) and online for muscovado sugar and have found it on gourmet food sites. Has anyone used this type of sugar in a brown sugar scrub and why is it that this won't dissolve? Thanks

I've been using something called Zulka (Azucar Moreno) which just means brown sugar but it's not wet like brown sugar, it's dry and fine but I would say slightly larger than table sugar. It has a nice pale color, not brown, not tan, not white. I just picked up a bag because it looked so nice and natural. And it was priced right.

I'm thinking the distinction that the recipie you found made between the two is about brown sugars in general - the damp packing kind. I've made a BS (lol:laugh2: BS) scrub before and you do kind of get little balls of BS. (:laugh2: sorry!) So i'm guessing that this Muscodine is probably a DRY type sugar that will act the same as regular table sugar. As a few have said, normally sugar doesn't dissolve in a scrub. But it's true, you don't get much 'scrub' from a brown sugar.

Thanks for the information. I've been using regualr browm sugar and plain old white tabel sugar in my scrubs and after about a week, the sugars dissolve. I was using FBB in my scrubs. I may need to up my sugar and see if that helps. Thanks again.

I've been using something called Zulka (Azucar Moreno) which just means brown sugar but it's not wet like brown sugar, it's dry and fine but I would say slightly larger than table sugar. It has a nice pale color, not brown, not tan, not white. I just picked up a bag because it looked so nice and natural. And it was priced right.

I'm thinking the distinction that the recipie you found made between the two is about brown sugars in general - the damp packing kind. I've made a BS (lol:laugh2: BS) scrub before and you do kind of get little balls of BS. (:laugh2: sorry!) So i'm guessing that this Muscodine is probably a DRY type sugar that will act the same as regular table sugar. As a few have said, normally sugar doesn't dissolve in a scrub. But it's true, you don't get much 'scrub' from a brown sugar.

Blazerina this post just made my day!!! I needed a good laugh too funny :laugh2::P

LOL, back on topic. You could also try turbinado sugar. It is like raw sugar but not as scratchy. I don't like the brown colors in my scrubs so I use crystal sugar. I get it at the bakery. It looks just like turbinado but is clear.

It looks like I'm going to be a sugar scrub making fool today. I refuse to quit. I just checked all of the scrubs that I made last week using regular brown and regular table sugar and they are all dissolved. Nothing but sticky FBB. One recipe that I made called for 4 1/2 cups of sugar to 2.5 lbs of FBB stating that by using this much sugar, it will allow some to be consumed and leave enough for the srub. Guess what, I wasted 4 1/2 cups of sugar because it's all completely dissolved. I'm on my way to wally world to buy more sugar. I'm going to try Meridith's suggestion and I'm also going to pick up the domino granulated BS to see if that works. Thanks for the help.

I usually add the sugar last. With FBB, I don't warm anything. I always just gently fold the sugar in. I went to walmart and bought more sugar and the ones suggested above. I have some candle orders to pour and them I'm going to work on the scrubs later this afternoon.

Oh sorry, I didn't understand that you use fbb in your scrub. When I said the sugar doesn't dissolve in my scrub, I might have mentioned I don't use fbb.

Just ignore me; I'll shut up now. :grin2:

lol...that's ok...I'm beginning to think it's not going to work in the FBB unless it's going to be used immediately however, I have noticed that the ones I make using fine sea salt haven't dissolved.....yet.