Anyone try a Woodwick candle?

Funny story, right? My mom's birthday and I made her all kind of candles, tarts and body sprays. My brother's girlfriend comes in and gives my mom a Woodwick candle and says how unique they are. How it's a wood wick and it crackles while it burns. What is she trying to show me up? LOL Then she tells me that I should try to make them because they are hard to find and unique. I was slightly offended. My brother had told her that I made candles. I guess I should give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she bought it before my brother told her I made them. What's so great about a Woodwick anyway?

Missy

Wood Wicks aren't old news! They are very interesting to make and use. If they were not so popular we all wouldn't be talking about them or trying them out for ourselves! I will say that I went to a store the other day and really looked at the WoodWick candles and was interested to find that the wicks were not always centered, and the jars had wet spots..........I'm sure that they are making a huge profit on them. Because I know it can't cost near what they are selling them for! They are pretty to watch burn, something different! I think I'll go light the one that I made now!

They are pretty to watch burn, something different! I think I'll go light the one that I made now!

Have you burned one all the way down? I have a customer hammering me to make these, but without a wick tab I'm just curious as to how they react when the melt pool reaches the end of the woodwick. I'm sure it would probably just fall into the wax & go out, but how much of the wax would be left? I noticed that wsp has only one size, but c&s has a small & a large size.

PamR

Oh, I put it in a fairly large container so I have a ways to go before I get to the end! I got a pm from warmvanilla saying that wsp has the wick sustainers for them but they are out of stock so maybe I will try one with that after this one burns out!

I have made a couple of the wood wick candles. I like the way the burn, but I find that with the small wick it doesn't have much of a crackling sound, but with the larger wick you can hear the crackling. I haven't burnt my candle to the bottom yet to know what happens to the wick. The one thing that I do find frustrating with them, it being able to trim the wick, I have a pair of wide pliers that I use, but they are still extremely difficult to get through. But once you start burning the candle it is really easy to keep the wick trimmed, I just turn the candle upside down over a garbage can and break it off, and it keeps the wick trimmed perfectly this way. I still have a lot of testing to do on these, and not sure that I would make the on a larger scale, but for personal use they are neat.

Pam F

With all the rave about them I was expecting them to be real fancy. But when I saw them the first time I was pretty dissappointed. Tons of wetspots, wick not centered, and alot of the time the lids didn't even fit the jars. The labels were falling off too. I'm sure they're neat to burn, tho I haven't done so myself. But I was awefully dissappointed by what I saw of them in stores.

Funny story, right? My mom's birthday and I made her all kind of candles, tarts and body sprays. My brother's girlfriend comes in and gives my mom a Woodwick candle and says how unique they are. How it's a wood wick and it crackles while it burns. What is she trying to show me up? LOL Then she tells me that I should try to make them because they are hard to find and unique. I was slightly offended. My brother had told her that I made candles. I guess I should give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she bought it before my brother told her I made them. What's so great about a Woodwick anyway?

Missy

I like the woodwick candle, just something different; ordered the small woodwicks from c&s and plan to make them for personal use. I'm sure your mom loves all the candles you've made for her. Being a candlemaker ain't easy:cheesy2: ever notice that those who don't make candles are so happy to tell you how to make them? It won't be the last time either:cheesy2:

I just bought one last week at the mall but I haven't tried it yet. I agree that the presentation isn't really quality. The lid doesn't fit on at all and the label is peeling off on the one I bought. I may make them just for family if I like them. I think that once you get towards the bottom the wood wick will just fall in the wax and be done...just depends on how far that is.

Oh, I put it in a fairly large container so I have a ways to go before I get to the end! I got a pm from warmvanilla saying that wsp has the wick sustainers for them but they are out of stock so maybe I will try one with that after this one burns out!

Dumb question here, but who is WSP???

TIA,

Chantel

wsp is wholesalesuppliesplus.com/

i ordered an OV WW out of curiosity...i have friends and family that have tried them..seems some soot really bad, while others burn fine....THAT i don't like because you want your product as consistent as possible...but i have to hear and see for myself what all the hub-bub is about on a ww candle...plus rum raisin sounded really good,lol!

wsp is wholesalesuppliesplus.com/

i ordered an OV WW out of curiosity...i have friends and family that have tried them..seems some soot really bad, while others burn fine....THAT i don't like because you want your product as consistent as possible...but i have to hear and see for myself what all the hub-bub is about on a ww candle...plus rum raisin sounded really good,lol!

I have the OV ww in clean cotton and love it! it's a light scent, yet powerful enough that it scents the house :cheesy2: so far, the burn is clean on this one, trimming the wick is easy, just let it cool, turn candle upside down over the trash can and with your finger, just flick the wick lightly and that's it. maybe other scents will soot, like some will or won't if I use cotton wick, the wax has not made a full melt pool, but the scent throw is great, and if any wax is left, i'll just put it into a burner.:cheesy2:

I'm glad to hear all of this about the wood wicks. I'm going to have to get my mom to burn it and see what she thinks. And, yes, my mom did love all of the candles I gave her. I didn't even know they sold these wood wicks. Do they just sell large and small sizes? I may have to try them out. I'm curious now.

okay so i got my candle...rum raisin.

my take on it....light cold throw. took a few minutes of burning, but i did get a bit of crackling...but it's more like frying bacon (sizzling) without the big "pop",lol...and if you have the tv or radio on, you won't hear it. the burning throw was nil...in fact all we smell is a slight burning wood smell coming from the wick. you definitely need to get all the black, burned part off before you relight, or it will smoke and the flame will be too high. it took a good hour after the second light before i could hear anything from it. some slight hang up too, but it will probably catch up as it burns. you need to burn for several hours to get the burn going good for the mp. bummed it has no throw...i was really looking forward to it. now i wonder if wood wicks in general will do this if the fo isn't strong enough...kinda like the probs you can have with them throwing in soy or gel.