candle techn need help

Looking for someone who knows a candle technique my mother use to use. She had a milk carton and candle wax, colors, and ice cubes. Pored wax over ice cubes in milk carton, ?? does anyone know of this technique. Candle turned out solid color or multi color and with holes in candle.

I have seen those before. They remind me of swiss cheese. I recently read a book (from the public library) which had step by step directions and color photos on how to do this, as well as a lot of other types of candles. I believe it was The Encyclopedia of Candle Making Techniques, by Sandie Lea. I remember it said these ice candles were fairly simple.

Yeah that's an ice candle.

I've never made one but it's an old technique and I've seen it in a few books. Fill the mold with ice cubes and pour the wax. The water drains out of the candle when you demold it and leaves holes. You can use the milk carton or a regular mold.

Here are the issues I've seen mentioned:

1 - Protect the wick from the water. One source says to use a heavily primed wick and the other suggests using a taper candle.

2 - The size and packing of the ice cubes will affect the results. You can't pack them too tight or you won't get a solid candle.

3 - Only one source suggests a pour temperature and it says 180. There's a caution about using wax too hot lest it get the water boiling.

I suspect it'll take some experimentation to nail the technique. Post in the gallery if you succeed in making one of these!

Top is right. That is the very first kind of candle I made in the 50's with my mom. We did them for christmas and sprinkled glitter on them. I made my own wicks with string and primed them. Used 1 qt milk cartons, filled up with ice and poured regular paraffin from the grocery store dyed with color crayons, red and green, over the ice cubes. How we actually got them to work or burn remains a mystery to me now that I know more about making "real" candles.....but they did burn. I'm sure that there are more specific directions in our archives. Just about every candle book I have has instructions. Good luck! Donita