Mosaics Anyone?

txht2003

There are many sites on mosaics. It depends on how much time, effort and MONEY you want to spend. I took a six week class for stained glass/mosaics a few years ago and bought all my start up supplies and equipment through my instructor at a small discount (I think it was around 15%). Excluding the glass and cost of the course, I spent well over $400 for the basics needed, now as for the glass...ouch! It's so easy to spend a small fourtune when you see all the different colors, textures and styles offered. So if you think candlemaking is an expensive hobby, stained glass is even more so. It takes a bit of time to prep (cutting, nipping, grinding etc) all your pieces before you can assemble your masterpiece. But it is very self gratifying when it's complete.

But if you are looking for Mosaic kits (no prep needed) here are some links:

Delphi

Glass Crafters

How to & patterns

Yahoo! search

I forgot to add this earlier, but an easy and less costly way of doing mosaics, such as stepping stones, is to go to a thrift store buy colored glassware and break it into pieces, or craft stores sometimes have broken glass pieces. You can also use decorative glass beads/blobs, marbles, river pebbles, polished rocks, sea glass, ceramic tiles, slate...the possibilities are as endless as your imagination. Then go to a home improvement store, buy a plain stepping/patio stone (here is an example), get Liquid Nails Glue for outdoor projects, then go to the flooring center and get sanded grout (they usually have a variety of colors). Arrange your pieces on the stepping stone first, then generously glue them into place. Allow the glue to dry completely. Then apply your grout, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies and let that dry. You're done.

i used to do stained glass mosaics years ago. i was really lucky i have the worlds largest supplier of stained glass in the world 1 hour from my house.

we could go there & buy glass for so much a lb. i still have tons of it. my hubby made a cement bench mold & i would put the glass on it & then grout it. i just broke it up with a hammer glued it down & grouted it, i sealed it with epoxy resin. you do not need the expensive saws, grinders. it is not the same as real stained glass like for windows. if someone can tell me how to put a picture in a reply i will show you some of my work.

Sorry for jumping in but this thread caught my eye b/c I just went to the craft store last night and bought my first pair of tile nippers :grin2: , so I am new at it too. My neighbor does some really nice stuff that she sells to a shop by the beach. Just looking at her stuff over the years got me interested. I like the outdoor stuff but my first one will be something small for the inside. Now if I can only figure out how in the heck to cut that tile straight :confused:

Here are a couple more how to's

http://www.ehow.com/how_7941_make-tile-mosaics.html

http://www.monstermosaics.com/how/index.html

TLC- If you have a toolbox with basic tools your in luck. To cut a straight line all you'll need is a flat screwdiver, a straight edge (a ruler works great), and 2 pairs of pliers, preferably not needlenose. Lay your straight edge along the line to be cut, take the edge of the screwdriver and run it along the straight edge to score a line, you'll need a little pressure to get a good score, run it back and forth a couple of times if needed, just make sure you stay on the line...the score doesn't have to be very deep. Now take your pliers, one on each side of the line (it doesn't have to be all that close to the line) and "snap" it like a Hershey Bar. To protect your tile you can wrap the teeth of the pliers with some tape or cloth. This works for ceramic & porcelain, maybe even glass, i've not tried it with glass, I use a cutting wheel for that. Please forgive me if this sounds confusing, but after a few times you'll get the hang of it.

Here are a couple more how to's

http://www.ehow.com/how_7941_make-tile-mosaics.html

http://www.monstermosaics.com/how/index.html

TLC- If you have a toolbox with basic tools your in luck. To cut a straight line all you'll need is a flat screwdiver, a straight edge (a ruler works great), and 2 pairs of pliers, preferably not needlenose. Lay your straight edge along the line to be cut, take the edge of the screwdriver and run it along the straight edge to score a line, you'll need a little pressure to get a good score, run it back and forth a couple of times if needed, just make sure you stay on the line...the score doesn't have to be very deep. Now take your pliers, one on each side of the line (it doesn't have to be all that close to the line) and "snap" it like a Hershey Bar. To protect your tile you can wrap the teeth of the pliers with some tape or cloth. This works for ceramic & porcelain, maybe even glass, i've not tried it with glass, I use a cutting wheel for that. Please forgive me if this sounds confusing, but after a few times you'll get the hang of it.

Hi Amish Ragdoll!

I am a little confused :confused: . After reading you advice about cutting straight it sounds like you are talking about a fairly large piece of glass or tile is that right?

TIA

Hi Amish Ragdoll!

I am a little confused :confused: . After reading you advice about cutting straight it sounds like you are talking about a fairly large piece of glass or tile is that right?

TIA

Any size works, you just have to use small pliers for smaller pieces. If your working on a tile that is smaller than one square inch you would score your line, hold the side of the tile you're wanting to use with the pliers, then take the nippers and nip till you get to the line..it shouldn't break past the line if you have a good score. And I should clarify the scoring depth also (i know my directions aren't the best :embarasse ), you'll want to score completely through the finish of the tile, then one more solid swipe for good measure. Also make sure you get the outer edges scored well.

And i did try it with glass this afternoon and IT DOES NOT WORK..I'm sorry if I gave anyone false hope.

Hi, TLC how is your new mosaic crafting coming along?:drool:

Well I'm glad you asked...

I'm still trying to get the cutting figured out. It's harder than I thought. I never gave it much thought before but I sure do have an appreciation for those that can. :) Glad I have extra tile cuz I'm gonna make some boo boo's! The design I picked out it a dragon fly flying through the reeds and has lot's of different colors. I didn't think about how I was going to make all the bumps and curves in the bugs body, not to mention those darn wings. :grin2: Don't get me wrong I'm still excited, can't wait to cut those tiles and then get to glue them-somebody hold me back :laugh2:

So what about you? Are you getting started yet?

I *love* working with stained glass and mosaic's! Check out ebay, you can get some good deals there if you shop around. Thats where I got my grinder and alot of mosaic tiles and glass.

Glass can be very expensive :lipsrseal . But check out the stuff from Delphi, that is a great store. :cheesy2:

I don't do mosaic glass, but I love refurbishing furniture. I have made many trash it furniture items into, what I and many say, beautiful furniture. I love slate and turned an ugly coffee table into something beautiful. I also mosaiced my daugters dressers and other tables. It is awesome! I do have snippers, and a few grouting tools, but you really don't need much. I know they sell LOTS of special tools, but you really only need a few. I wish I could send pics, but digial broke on Christmas (pm thank goodness). I will check my photo files to see what pics I have if you are interested. Mosaics really are fun and leave the creativeness (is that a word) to you. I haven't done any in awhile and now you just got me thinking...:bliss:

Boy am I in trouble!!! Seriously, if you want more info, please pm me, I'd love to help.

Melanie

I am looking for another tip here. I have discovered that when cutting the tiles, I get little shards of tile that comes off and go on the floor and on me too. I have tried to cut the tile in a plastic zip loc bag to try to contain them but I then have trouble cutting the tile correctly (which happens alot :embarasse ). What do some of you do about the shards?

I have not gotten started yet! I still need to figure out what I need to mosaic! I would love to mosaic a picture for my livingroom or even a coffee table. I think this weekend I will take a look around at different thrift stores for a nice wooden coffe table and take it from there! It should be interesting! Keep me posted!:yay:

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have the tile cutting figured out. I get a straight cut most of the time :grin2: . The first thing was to cut off my finger nails. Those little tiles and my nails didn't get along, I even nipped one.

I started in the center of the mosaic and worked out. Don't know if that's the way to do it but that's the way I did it. I can't decide if I want something around the outside edges....:undecided This is a craft that you just can't rush, I cut a few tiles, glue them and wait for the glue to dry. It reminds me of putting a puzzle together, kinda relaxing.

Just a quick 2 cents here, please, when you work with tiles and glass... especially the glass, wear eye protection. Flying glass shards can really suck if they hit your eyes. :highfive:

I'd love to see some folks work! Let's post more in the gallery..!!!!