Shell Hurricane

This is the hurricane shell I've made for my aunty's 60th birthday. Its unscented but will have a vanilla votive inside in glass container.

Its filled with shells, although they aren't as close to the front as I'd like.

I've tested it, burning with a votive inside for 3 hours and the inside of the hurricane was only luke warm. Is this going to be ok?

I know its not brill, but its ok for a 1st attempt hopefully.

hurricaneshells.jpg

this is the inside, btw, is the size of these piccies ok?

hurricaneshellsburn.jpg

thanks everyone :)

I'm going to get some hurricane wax, is it actually called hurricane wax? but I need to more paraffin first, then try some soy, so its on the list :)

I did wonder about making it thinner actually, but some of the shells were bigger and would have stuck out into the inner bit.

How lovely!! It reminds me of my 30-something year old (oh crap - it's 40 something...1973! DUH!) shell pillar. The center was burned out decades ago and I have been putting votives and tea lights inside for all this time. I really need to refurbish it - it's beginning to look more than dingy, but it was a wedding gift from a dear friend and I still love it so even though the man I married that day is only a vague memory to me...:o

Sure would love to see a pic with it all lit up... ;):D

Hopefully more of the 'caners'll come around and tell you the type of wax they use - you could also search the forums as I know Donita has told us many times...:D

That's great for your first. I use a heat gun to melt off some of the wax on the outside. My first ones were like yours and people loved them too....sold a bunch until my daughter decided to heat off some wax with my embossing heat tool.....from then on I have used heat guns. And when I use large shells, sometimes they do stick out in the center, but I don't think that matters. What you want it a good glow through candle. Donita Louise