Storing Wax Question

Hi all!

Can I store my wax in baggies? I weighed out the wax and put them in baggies in either 8oz or 16 oz increments. I figured that would make it easier for me when I'm ready to make my tarts (just grab a pre-measured bag and go!). I plan on storing the baggies in an old (cleaned out) kitty litter plastic container with lid. Is this okay? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but you guys are the all knowing so I thought I'd run it by you and see what you thought :)

D

No problem with that but I'll give you another idea in case you like it. Put a whole bunch in your Presto and pour 1 lb. increments into the flat Gladware containers. You don't even need endless containers because you can pop out the little slabs when they set up and stack 'em up inside a plastic bag.

With a clever arrangement of your Presto pot and a scale, you can weigh directly from the spout and it's easier that weighing out chunks of wax into baggies I think.

I also pour into styrofoam coffee cups - they usually pop out pretty easy by pushing on the bottom of the cup with your thumb, put 'em in zip lock baggies till ready to use. I'm sure you could store in most anything as long as the wax isn't scented.

All these methods seem too much like work for me. :P LMAO!

The way I actually store mine is broken up in plastic pails.

But I figured my Gladware trick might be nice if she wanted to divide it into weighed portions anyway. I do that for select things like microcrystalline wax. It's a hassle hauling out a 10 lb slab just to shave an ounce off of it, and you can't even break it up, so I melt it into more convenient little slabs.

The way I actually store mine is broken up in plastic pails.

But I figured my Gladware trick might be nice if she wanted to divide it into weighed portions anyway. I do that for select things like microcrystalline wax. It's a hassle hauling out a 10 lb slab just to shave an ounce off of it, and you can't even break it up, so I melt it into more convenient little slabs.

I keep forgetting that alot of people use paraffin.... LMAO! :laugh2:

The Gladware trick was a great suggestion.

But those nice pretty red and black pails... hmmm, they seem ideal for storing my lye or votive wax. Thanks for sharing, are they hard to open?

My god I am easily amused by the simplest things........... :bliss:

But those nice pretty red and black pails... hmmm, they seem ideal for storing my lye or votive wax. Thanks for sharing, are they hard to open?

You're funny.

In a sense they don't even close. The lids are made to seal up a product for shipping, then the person at the other end rips off a plastic strip to open the pail. So I rip the strip off and the lids just sit on top of the pails. They stack so securely that I'm not really concerned about their being sealed per se.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I think I'm going to try the gladware suggestion! That's ingenious! Much quicker than weighing chunks of wax. I can mark a line on the container where the wax hits 8 oz, 1lb, etc. The wax won't melt the container?

As far as containers, I just cleaned out the old pail the kitty litter came in and it works like a charm!

Thanks so much :)

I keep forgetting that alot of people use paraffin.... LMAO! :laugh2:

The Gladware trick was a great suggestion.

Empty and cleaned kitty litter containers work well for storage, too. I did like the idea of the glad containers. Personally, I just buy more prestos - one for every occasion, fill 'em up and I'm good to go!

Yes, Mystical, you are easily amused and I want to know how YOU know a dead body will fit in that bag? :shocked2:

All these methods seem too much like work for me. :P LMAO!

Or perhaps I am lazy. I usually just buy one of those big totes you could fit a dead body in and dump my wax in there to keep it dry and cool.

They sell the really big ones at Target for like 14.00 with wheels on the bottom.

You crack me up lol!

Empty and cleaned kitty litter containers work well for storage, too. I did like the idea of the glad containers. Personally, I just buy more prestos - one for every occasion, fill 'em up and I'm good to go!

Yes, Mystical, you are easily amused and I want to know how YOU know a dead body will fit in that bag? :shocked2:

LMAO!! You go Georgia..... :P

Well~ you have met me in person, you know I am totally warped like Scented..............hehehehe!!!!

I am Italian~ of course I can size up a container for dead body. :shocked2:

I think I'm going to try the gladware suggestion! That's ingenious! Much quicker than weighing chunks of wax. I can mark a line on the container where the wax hits 8 oz, 1lb, etc. The wax won't melt the container?
The containers are very robust. I actually clean them out using a heat gun. Granted I do it very carefully as that could easily melt one, but it gives you an idea of how tough they are. Pouring hot wax into them is no problem whatsoever. They're also resistant to FO if you want to use them for repour or leftover wax.