Can I combine these fragrances?

Hi, this is my 2nd post, so I'm new, and a total newbie at candle making.

I have managed to get a few fragrances, Cinnamon, vanilla and summer fruits. Do these make any other fragrances if combined?

I also have so far, blue, red, yellow and pink colouring. I'm trying to make brown for chocolate!? (I should have paid attention more at school lol)

Are there any other combinations of colour I can make with these?

I've just made my first candle, which is setting as I type. Just got a blue earthenware lidded pot and did a blue 3 wick candle, scented with Summer Fruits.

Can't wait to try Bakery Candles next.

Thanks

xx

I'm not sure how much help I'll be since I'm new at this myself, but I made a cinnamon candle and only have the 3 primary colors. I did equal of 3 (I did a measuring spoon since they were shavings) 1/2 tsp each, then added a pinch more yellow and a couple pinches red. Seems red gave it that color, had sorta a cup of coffee with 1/2 a creamer color to it.

(It would help if I finish my post before clicking around on pages....)

You can make any color with Red, Blue and Yellow. They are the basic colors.

For example:

Equal red and blue gives purple.

Equal red and yellow gives orange.

Equal yellow and blue gives green.

You can play with more of 1 to give different shades.

I did 3 red to 1 blue and got a great maroon/burgundy for my Mulberry.

I'm not sure how much help I'll be since I'm new at this myself, but I made a cinnamon candle and only have the 3 primary colors. I did equal of 3 (I did a measuring spoon since they were shavings) 1/2 tsp each, then added a pinch more yellow and a couple pinches red. Seems red gave it that color, had sorta a cup of coffee with 1/2 a creamer color to it.

Hi

thanks for the reply :)

ooh I like the sound of the cup of coffee with creamer look.

I'm trying to make brown at the moment for hot chocolate and also a pastry/cake colour, maybe that would be the way to go

You can get you a color wheel that might help you with what colors make what ... and if you can recall from art class from school what colors make what ... candle dyes will typically do the same thing :)

As for your FOs, you can mix anything you want. You can also take a couple of Q-tips, dip them in the FO and combine them say in a baggie to get an idea of what the mix may smell like. You might try searching mixing scents and read more about it.

Not sure what "summer fruits" mean ... but you can mix a fruit scent with vanilla, for example ... Strawberries& Cream; Peaches and Cream; Blueberries & Cream .... get the picture?

You can also mix a fruit scent with cinnamon for Spiced Apples, Spiced Peaches, Spiced Cranberries, etc.

You picked good scents to mix.

thanks for your help.

I actually didn't really 'pick them'. I just bought what they had at my local hobbycraft. I was quite disappointed really. I went in with this big long list and came away with 4 colours, 3 fragrances and some wax :(

I'm trawling the net now for moulds in the UK.

I've got some mugs to make the hot chocolate with marshmallows, some glass sundae dishes for the sundaes. I can't wait...... need to go and top up the one I made earlier (as per the wonderful intructions on this site :D )

Must get back to reality first and get the kids to bed!

Know how you feel there too. I went to my local hobbycraft expecting to see loads of moulds and glass containers and books!! But no, I came away disappointed.

Its sad that in the UK we have such poor choice when it comes to candle making. BUT, I hit ebay and found a seller called candlechem in the States and bought a set of 4 aluminium pillar moulds for way less than i could in the UK - and that was including postage (didn't get stung for import duty yayyy). The States is definately the way to go with some things. For heavier stuff like the wax I am going to be ordering from candlelights in the UK - Kevin is soo helpful - and I also found Sensory perfection! WOW gorgeous fragrance oils!!

As for your original question, I made up some brown the other day using red, green with some blue added (not sure of exact measurements, was just messing around), it actually looked burgandy when i dropped a bit on a cold plate but when it came out the mould it was definately brown!

I'm new to candlemaking too so haven't dabbled in mixing fragrances yet ;)

Anjie,x.

Know how you feel there too. I went to my local hobbycraft expecting to see loads of moulds and glass containers and books!! But no, I came away disappointed.

Its sad that in the UK we have such poor choice when it comes to candle making. BUT, I hit ebay and found a seller called candlechem in the States and bought a set of 4 aluminium pillar moulds for way less than i could in the UK - and that was including postage (didn't get stung for import duty yayyy). The States is definately the way to go with some things. For heavier stuff like the wax I am going to be ordering from candlelights in the UK - Kevin is soo helpful - and I also found Sensory perfection! WOW gorgeous fragrance oils!!

As for your original question, I made up some brown the other day using red, green with some blue added (not sure of exact measurements, was just messing around), it actually looked burgandy when i dropped a bit on a cold plate but when it came out the mould it was definately brown!

I'm new to candlemaking too so haven't dabbled in mixing fragrances yet ;)

Anjie,x.

oooh :)

unfortunately I don't 'do' paypal so can't buy from the states, mores the pity :(

Yep, I've just ordered loads of sensory perfection lol. Looking at some more of hers tonight.

I'll try that for the brown.

The wax I'm getting from hobbycraft is £3.99 for 1kg, but its just gone :(

I've finished off this mornings blue one, done a pink vanilla one for my mum in a pot and done the bottom pink layer of 2 strawberry sundaes.

Can I ask, you know this part, i.e. general candlemaking disc. can I ask a few questions do you think? or do ppl get fed up of answering newbie daft questions lol.

Just found out I need to tweek a few things I've been doing, especially pouring wax all over my kitchen worktop!

I don't make container candles yet, but, shouldn't you be using container wax (which is much softer) rather than the straight paraffin wax that you get from Hobbycraft??

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong :tiptoe: :D

Anjie,x.

thats what I mean about not knowing anything lol.

It doesn't even say what kind of wax it is on the bag! Its just white pellets.

I fancy trying some gel wax too, as I'd like to make a type of glaze to pour over the tarts and pies, apparently thats the best from what I've seen

eBay has some UK auctions too!

And don't feel bad, I have a Michael's and a Hobby Lobby here, where I am at. I went in to Michael's armed with my debit card, came away with a VERY expensive 11lb slab of wax (it was 25.00USD), an 18 dollar seamed pillar mold, a starter kit for 35 bucks, and a few scents and colors, and only a few pre-tabbed wicks! This came out to over 200 USD!!! And nothing had real good instructions with it!

Thank god for this place! Gimme a few weeks and I'll be saying thanks for Peaks! :D

One of my best sellers is Cinnamon stick/vanilla. We do a ton of that fragrance. Don't know whose FO you bought, but I use Cinnamon Stick and French Vanilla from NG, and mix 50-50.

I use 1 drop of brown dye/lb. (don't know how you'll get brown from the colors you have.)

Fredron

well I got the brown :)

I put in equal amounts of all 3 colours. I tried the hot choc base, but it looks a bit too dark for me. I wanted to then get a pastry colour from what was left, so added some yellow, wasn't right, so chucked in a load more white wax. It came out ok-ish for my first attempt but not perfect.

I'm going to finish them anyway as its all practice.

Solved my pouring problem, got a jug this morning.

In fact, I also bought 1kg of wax this morning and its virtually gone!