Didn't get the fundraiser

hotmama2700

I need to vent. I created a professional looking brochure packet, I made a cover page on why to have a candle fundraiser, I made a chart on how much money could be made selling my candles, gave away some free tarts and a small candle to each of the ladies at my daughters' school. I found out what there favorite scent was and poured them. I used fragrances of Blueberry Muffin, Cookies and Cream, Apple Cinnamon, and Red Hot Cinnamon all four of my best sellers. I even offered them my discount on two different style tart warmers just for selling my candles. Profit margin was 40% them and 60% me. Was that not enough for them. Anyway I called her several weeks ago and she loved her tarts and her candle and wants to order some off of me. She even told me i had a beautiful jar . So I am thinking Ok seems like this is going to happen. Then pulling rug out from under me my kids bring home 2 fundraiser packets with cheesecakes and dumb gifts you buy just so your kids can say they sold something and get that cheap prize that doesn't even last the bus ride home. I am upset because if there is one thing I am doing right it is my candles. I have put a lot of time and effort into the perfect logo, my brochure, my scent list, my image on what my candles stand for. I f they are good enough for the president of the PTO to buy for herself than why wouldn't she use them as a filler for their other fundraisers. My girls told all of their friends that their mommy was going to make candles and they couldn't wait to sell them to everybody. Also the school teachers are familiar with my candles because I have sold them to them as well as give them as gifts for holidays. My daughter's teacher asked me to come to school and show the kids from a distance how to make candles last year and as I made them the fragrance went through the halls and the principal and several teachers came down to see what smelled so good so they are familiar with them as well. I don't get it. How does everyone land their fundraisers? What am I doing wrong. I only called her once and that was well over a month later.

Sounds like you did everything RIGHT! That has happened to me before and usually it was because one of the decision makers either doesn't care for candles or wants to make more than 40%. Sometimes politics get involved. Don't be surprised if you get the fundraiser next year; people are getting tired of cheesecakes & dumb things. At least you now know how to do a perfect presentation. Good luck, Carole

Schools very rarely give fundraisers to any one that they consider new to the business of fundraising. Resummit your stuff next year and keep doing it not give the candles and freebies you gave away this year but everything else. You might get lucky. Bad thing about most schools they can't seem to see beyond the bottom dollar and they want 50%. They don't realize that people would be more likely to buy more items if they where more reasonably priced instead of way over priced like they are now. In the end they would make more money. I have tried changing thier minds here they can't get past what they have been trained to do.

sounds to me you dotted every "i" and crossed every "t", my only suggestion is to keep your head up, don't give up and continue to try season after season. i know my son's school does a fundraiser twice a year, many in my area do candles in the colder months. also, try surrounding schools, send the PTA your information and see where it takes you. All and all continue to do what you do and keep your head up

It's not you or your candles. I've been on the other side of that fence. Been the one at the school in charge of the fundraiser, etc. Probably hundreds of times. There is never one particular factor in the final decision. All of the above posts are true.

Bottom line is--most places planning a fundraiser ARE looking for 50%. However, now that I'm out of that rat race, I've been told that the cheesecake, etc., fundraisers aren't doing so well. Have you looked at those prices?? I've got 3 in my freezer right now from the cheerleader next door!

You did a lot of hard work, and I understand your disappointment. That hard work won't go to waste. BTW--there is someone in Myrtle Bch doing jj for the coastal region March of Dimes. They are selling tons of them. You might want to check out a MOD team.

Looks like you did everything right. I have noticed around here that fundraisers arent making as much money as they used to. I know a bunch of parents who just refuse to buy the over-priced, low-quality items that are sold. Do what thre others say, Just keep submitting your information. You may get lucky and get picked when they finally realize we dont all want cheesecakes...or crappy picture frames. lol

One thing I noticed with the schools around here is they tend to go for the big name companies because they think if people are familiar with the company, they will buy. My kid's school does a Yankme fundraiser every year and they think they did great if they made $1500. A teacher told me that half the time the packets don't even make it home. My kids pitch theirs right in the trash only because I make candles. You might be better off targeting smaller groups, like cheerleaders, drama club, music boosters, etc. They are the ones who tend to hustle a little more because the schools don't give them any money. Good luck!

A lot of school choose their yearly fundraisers a year or so in advance. It's very possible that they had already chosen the cheesecakes and were in process with that company.

Another thing is the "reward" system for the children. That's the only thing that holds me back from doing a whole school fundraiser. The kids love to see how many prizes they can earn, which sort of makes them sell more. If you didn't offer prizes, that may have hurt you.

Like Trae said, going to smaller groups like youth sports, high school clubs, etc might be more effective. These guys are worried about the prize, they just really need to earn money. I have a fundraiser that is going right now that is for 60 high school students earning money to tour college campuses. I have a feeling it's going to be a big one!

Keep your head up! It sounds like you're on the right path, don't give up!!

You did everything right. What I would suggest is trying to go in through the back door so to speak. Don't try to do it for the entire school, but try the cheerleaders, soccer team... That is how I got in through the school was through the cheerleaders. If your girls are involved in any extra activities, try that avenue. Hold your head up, it can be hard to get into the school system.

Sonya

Don't sweat it and keep trying! Besides...I have done my share of PTA. :lipsrseal Do you really want to deal with that?! You will find something better. Don't give up! :highfive:

Ditto:grin2: and don't give away so many freebies.:grin2: